Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
...I don't believe any of the current models are as well made as the 993/964. They are ok but for the price they could be better.
I absolutely disagree. The 993 and 964 are engineering disasters, and the assembly work on them is nothing special. The ONLY reason there is an obsession for the 993 is because they were the last oil/air cooled 911s, and some prefer the styling. The 964s are even worse. These were compromise Porsches during a period of serious financial disarray by Porsche, in both engineering design and manfacturability.

There are elements in the 993 that will cause you to pull your hair out. Don't ever have a check strap fail on one. You'll need a welding torch to fix it.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So!...are the soft touch surfaces on the 997.1 & .2, holding up or beginning to peel....various control buttons etc...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:44 AM
boolala
Race Car

My interior has held up very well. After 4.5 years and 45,000 miles the only things showing wear is the small cover to the compartment in the center console and a few chips in the faux aluminum driver's side door handle.

The seats are like new which is amazing to me.

Having said that, I would have preferred a more luxurious interior. Sure Porsche is about performance but performance and luxury are not mutually exclusive. When I order my next p-car it will have full leather etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
That data isn't making me feel too good about our upcoming Mini delivery!
Just add 165 to 90, divide by 2 and you have a household fleet score of 127.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I absolutely disagree. The 993 and 964 are engineering disasters, and the assembly work on them is nothing special. The ONLY reason there is an obsession for the 993 is because they were the last oil/air cooled 911s, and some prefer the styling. The 964s are even worse. These were compromise Porsches during a period of serious financial disarray by Porsche, in both engineering design and manfacturability.

There are elements in the 993 that will cause you to pull your hair out. Don't ever have a check strap fail on one. You'll need a welding torch to fix it.
+1 That's the unvarnished truth.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just add 165 to 90, divide by 2 and you have a household fleet score of 127.
I feel so much better now,....NOT!
The Mini is surfing the Atlantic right now. I'll post in a few weeks on its initial quality.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As an aside, go take a look at the various Porsche forums, and get a feel for what the various topics are. Obviously, as these things age, the focus moves from "what option is the best?" to "how can I find a special part" or "how can i fix the ...?" Now look at them and look at the numbers. The 928 forum is scary--substantial conversations about how to keep those things on the road. Ditto for the 993. Sure, the 996 and 997 are obviously newer, but I predict they will, at the same stage of life they will grow to as the 928 or the 993 are today, to be considerably much less problematic, and significantly easier to keep running. Try to normalize the numbers of those postings vis-a-vis the production numbers of some of those cars. (For example, the 928 was not produced in large numbers at all, but the message traffic for technical help is massive).
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mini is surfing the Atlantic right now. I'll post in a few weeks on its initial quality.
i'm a terrible person for posting that i should have photoshopped out the mini data.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i'm a terrible person for posting that i should have photoshopped out the mini data.
You are forgiven Brendan.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:22 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

I agree. The 964 I owned was great - while nothing broke. But it was overly complex and expensive to maintain. The 993 was a big improvement however.

My 996 40th is literally 6 years old and i think the interior is spectacular. Almost looks brand new. It has 27000 miles. I havent done anything special to it and it has held up well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Please do. My wife wants to trade her Z4. The Mini is one of the reasons...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,644 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by docjohnM
Just a historical note---"alcantara" is a cheap polyester faux suede that they started putting out about 10 years ago and tried to make it "chic". It probably costs 2 or 3 bucks for a sq. Yard! It is nothing special.....

The car I described was a New Nissan 370Z. They are being sold for $30K. (I also noted that the new Maxima has a nice interior too.)
They do have a coarse engine, but the interior is an amazing example of what a company can do if they give a damn. The stitched items on the dash and console are vinyl, but somehow look very rich. I wonder why Nissan could stitch the center console and nav screen cover, yet why didn't porsche even give it a try?? I would accept Vinyl!!! Just make it look nice. Oddly enough, the new panamera has all of the nice interior finishing touches that the 997 lacks...and at the same price I paid for my 997.
Also, with GM starting to care about interiors, they are putting together some Gems. Maybe now that Audi is on the same board as Porsche, we will see some nice changes. Just hope they don't pollute the 'Perfect' aspects of the 911!!!
i hear you. but have you seen the int or the 996 without full leather. if you thought 997 was bad.....

i try to drive very fast in my porsches such that my passenger and i hold on to our dear lives and not worry too much about the ****ting interior (i dont like leather in cars. on women ok, so no f ull leather for me) and dare i say my GMC duramax has finer interior than my RS.

i wish porsche did something.... but..
Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

In the IQC survey the word quality can mean, that you do not like the location or operation of a particular feature.
BMW suffered with this and its 'I-Drive" system.
This survey is NOT a fair representation of the BUILD QUALITY as they let consumers have quite a wide ranging area of commentary on issues that I feel shouldn't emerge in a true quality evaluation IMHO.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The first thing she touched was the thin, flimsy center console
Flimsy? Is yours defective? Mine is not flimsy at all. It is plastic.. but that's what I prefer. Easier to clean.

She looked at the "coin holder" and asked if she could put a coin in it. I told her not too, because it was a sports car and doesn't need fancy coin-holders.(I was scared it would snap..) Anyway, she replied, "then why did they bother with this nasty thing?".
For one, in Europe, coins are actually useful and valued more than a stick of gum. Here, our largest practically seen coin is 25 cents, you need FOUR of them to buy a soda from a vending machine. What 8-20 to pay a toll booth? In Europe, they regularly use the 1 and 2 euro coins; 2 euro being about $3. So with a few coins in there you actually can pay for something. Yeah, here in the states something else would be more useful.

Naturally, her $30K car has stitched alcantara and a slab of aluminum on it's doors.
If the 997.2 came with alcantara standard, first I'd have looked for the option code to delete it from my car order. I've got no interest in fuzzy surfaces in the car. Same would go for aluminum (silver that is) surfaces; don't want them.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM
bogdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911's were all good cars, but way overpriced. Don't get me wrong, I had owned many cars, Mercs, BMW's,Porsches, Audi, and driven some exotics like Lambo and Ferrari. Altough I've always been a fan of the 911 and owned two of them (last was a 996T), it feels more like a superbeetle compared to my 928 GTS. I recently bought an Alfa Romeo Brera Q4 (price tag 43 000 euro) and the overall quality perception (smell, tactile, sound) is better than my last 996. It feels safer and more mature on the road, without beeing as quick as Porsche. When I drove my friend's Audi R8 V10 I understood clearly that the 911's concept is obsolete in terms of handling, safety, comfort and efficiency. And the build quality is much better.

Quick Reply: Build Quality