Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of a replacement key..Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For $500 I hope our keys are waterproof....any one tried one in the washer yet?
abe
Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
They are under control. It's more of Ucube's way of thinking, Absent minded!! Often it's fun to find a twenty in a pants pocket or a Rolex under stack of towels. This time I think It may have be thrown out with the trash when I stash the keys in the tissue box while we went on a cruise. The maid cleaned the garage. Anyway, $425 is the going rate for a replacement key.
Well, then you just need to come up with a better strategy.

My first thought, is if you need to hide your car keys, something isn't right. If you don't trust the cleaning crew... isn't that the issue? But ok, you can never really trust the cleaning crew. But you can invest a few hundred in a floor safe or some other lock box that you can put such stuff in rather than hiding it in random objects. If you really must hide it in a 'non-safe' object, just to keep it way from thieves that would break into the safe, then pick a single, non-mobile location that YOU can remember. Under a paver in the back yard in a bag, in the crawlspace.. something so distinct that it cannot 'wander off' or be mistaken. Your guilty of picking bad hiding places... and the fine is steep.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
abe
unintentionally (obviously), yes. still works like a charm, and is squeaky clean.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 AM
asafashkenazi
1st Gear

My local Arizona dealer is giving me a price of almost $250 for a new key and FOB. A automotive locksmith says the Kia's have a very complex key security system that only Kia dealers can duplicate. I would never buy such a car again unless 3 complete keys were furnished - the 3d key would go into my bank SD box.But overall Locksmith solve my replacement key problem
Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
I tend to hide my keys so my kid wouldn't find it,(Risky Business). I hid it too well and I can't find the keys my self. I once hid my watch and found it 3 years later when I tried to hide my key. LOL!!!

Good Day
Did you check behind the old records on the shelf?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
I think I paid about $320 including programming.

There should be a corn cob emoticon available for posts that discuss outrageous dealer pricing.

Thats about exactly what it cost to have one made at the dealer out here in Charlotte.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Steve Cantin
1st Gear

Originally Posted by abe
abe
Wife lost Boxster key and wahed my MB key; the key did not enjoy the spin cycle , no they are not waterproof.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:30 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

OT but in high school, we took out my friend's dad's 993 C2S a few times when he would leave town on business. You wouldn't believe the things we did! My friend took it to senior prom too. Every time we'd get the keys, we drove at the speed limit very carefully to get dinner, or to just cruise around San Diego. We got honked at going in and out of driveways extra slow a lot even though by today's standards, it was a 4x4. Then we'd VERY carefully drive it back into the driveway and into the spot where it had its own special detached garage stall. We also cleaned and waxed it for him so when he got home, he would know how much we appreciated driving his baby. Thinking back, we did not enjoy it very much because my main memories are just being SUUUPER careful, haha. When I got my 997, I sent him pics. of it and told him he can drive it whenever...as long as he washes it and waxes it after. He also has to clean the back inside window because he made me do that a bunch when I was in jr. high.

I want to replace my 997.1 keys with 997.2 keys because the 997.1 FOBs are the worst car keys I have ever owned. The buttons are overly sensitive and I've had both keys "forget" the car when their batteries died, or when I did not use the car for a few months. The cost is holding me back even after my wife offered to pay as a present. It just seems like robbery to me.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 378 Posts

I agree with Jamesinger. The doorlock button is missing on one of my {997.1} fobs, the same button on my other key is just hanging on.
Seems you could just buy the fob housing.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
I agree with Jamesinger. The doorlock button is missing on one of my {997.1} fobs, the same button on my other key is just hanging on.
Seems you could just buy the fob housing.
Here you go:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...eriorKeys.html
Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 378 Posts

Wow, thats awesome. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Kinderelk (05-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Cost of a replacement key..Again!!