997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe to Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009 | 10:00 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Love my cab, will never NOT have one again!
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:45 AM
mossjn
Advanced

I occasionally track and would still not get anything but cab. Not pretty with top up compared to coupe but I rarely put it up. Will never go back to coupe while in N. Cal. Cab rigidity in 997 is signficantly improved from all prior models - Porsche actually designed the 997 cab before designing the coupe.
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:57 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

I think it depends on your usage.

If it was a daily driver and/or I planned on tracking it, coupe no question.

For me, my 997 is strictly used as a weekend fun car and no plans on tracking it. In my case, it's a complete no brainer, Cab all the way. Driving a 997 with the top down is pure pleasure. And in terms of looks, I think a Cab with the top down is a stunning look.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2009 | 09:00 AM
pt767
Instructor

Can't argue w' u there! That's a beautiful car! The car I took for a test drive was a black "S" w' PDK. Lowered the top on a beautiful SoCal day & realized what I've been missing. My porsche isn't a daily driver. We winter in Palm Desert & summer in Redondo Beach. Having a cab for me really is a no brainer. My '06 S coupe/manual has been a great intro to the Porsche experience. Might be time to put it up for sale & start hunting for a cab!
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:20 AM
JSeven
Instructor

Even on winter days with sun it´s a pleasure to ride on it. Just swicth on the heated seats and turn on the heater directly to wind screen and there you go, pure joy
It can be used all year around.

J.Seven
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:28 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

One thing which was a surpise to me was the difference in interior temperature when the car is parked on a hot day. Is it me, or is the Cab really cooler than a Coupe?
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:48 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Just made the leap myself to a Cab, having owned a Boxster S in the past.

You can feel a bit of body flex over bumps, actually settles down with PASM in sport. Glad to hear the occasional track day is still fun, as I miss the rigidity and rawness of the Gt3 some days.

Have to second the notion that for a pleasure use car, it's hard to beat the open air motoring experience!

Only negative I've heard is that some do feel more visible driving one - for them I'd recommend silver!

Chris
Old 09-21-2009 | 12:27 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

If you were buying a car just for the track--a coupe it is. But for fun D.E. days--it really doesn't matter. A good driving school will get you more speed than any body style. My guess is that concern over crime in large cities have encouraged people to prefer coupes....but windows are so easily smashed, etc., I'm not sure a coupe is a genuine deterrence.

Even though Seattle has a lot of wet days, the nice ones make a Cab better than a trip to the movie theatre (and cheaper to dress for than a motorcycle). The driving experience is remarkably different.

Accessories: we have a lot of trucks on the roads where I commute. Driving next to one in traffic is less than pleasant. I purchased a set of musician's ear "filters." You can put in different "buttons" or "filters" to vary the amount of noise reduction you want. Even at the highest filtering, I can hear a passenger talking, but the noise from the traffic is heavily muted. Makes for a serene drive on a noisy freeway.

Quick Reply: Coupe to Cab?