Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me that I’m not the only one…….

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009 | 12:13 AM
camsoccer
Intermediate

Default Please tell me that I’m not the only one…….

Who has overfilled their gas tank and had fuel go all over the side of he car and down the drain plug. I was so embarrassed I haven’t done anything like that since I was a teenager. My only solace was that I had waxed my car recently and had a micro fiber towel handy to clean the mess up on the side of the car. But that’s what I get for trying to top off the tank when there is the vent trap on the pump………
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:11 AM
Minok
Drifting

Nope... never had that happen... I just let the pump shut off and call it a day.
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You're the only one.

Thus,--the reason we should be in the habit of always carrying some spray on wax and Windex along with respective rags.
Old 09-21-2009 | 02:29 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by camsoccer
Who has overfilled their gas tank and had fuel go all over the side of he car and down the drain plug. I was so embarrassed I haven’t done anything like that since I was a teenager. My only solace was that I had waxed my car recently and had a micro fiber towel handy to clean the mess up on the side of the car. But that’s what I get for trying to top off the tank when there is the vent trap on the pump………
Don't know about the 997 but my 996 Turbo's a bit of a pain to gas up. Seems like gas nozzles are too quick to shut off and when I fill up the gas tank I like it full. Not brimming full but full nonetheless. I like to keep track of gas mileage and besides when on the road on a long trip I like a full tank to make fueling stops as infrequent as possible.

So, once in a while, more frequently than I would like and more frequently than with my other car (Boxster) in trying to fill up tank after a too sensitive nozzle has shut off prematurely I've overfilled the tank a couple of times. Not enough to run fuel down painted fender surface but to get a bit of fuel spillage that wets the basin around the bottom side of the filler tube.

My technique is getting better though. I let nozzle shut off and note by the pump amount whether there's more room in the tank -- getting better at noting how much fuel tank should accept by gage gas needle position -- and if I belive there is more room in the tank I manually begin filling the tank until the nozzle shuts off again. I have to hold the the nozzle just so so as not to trigger an early shut off again but when the nozzle shuts off I don't try to add any more fuel.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-21-2009 | 03:27 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

idk about you, but our tanks are 16.9 and when it says 0 about 2 left.. when i fill up to the "click" i get about 14.7 so that means im leaving about .2 out of the equation.. that .2 or... 4 miles i could really care less about for the extra hassle and annoyance of the "clicks" to fill and the embarrassment of being the guy that overfilled his tank and now smells like gas.

i will say the best feeling ever is when you fill up your 997.2 and you jump back on the highway and your "miles to empty" is ABOVE 500! not even civic owners can say that!
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:51 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

I found that certain pumps did this on my 997. Those that have the vaccuum seal (like all in CA do) seem to catch the vapor pressure and shut off correctly.

It's happened to me a couple of times - seems to be related to the angle of insertion of the nozzle.

No biggie - does help to have some Griots spray carnuba and a cloth.
Old 09-21-2009 | 12:33 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I have never done it on the car before, as like Minok, I walk away once the auto-shutoff happens. However, if it makes you feel better, I did it the other day on my Harley, as I "just had to get taht extra squeeze of gas in there."....doh! It suck,ed and worst part, stank the whole ride home Luckily, no damage to the paint
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:30 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Never over-filled, but I occasionally get the dribbles - so I got one of these; a real OCD kinda thing

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...s/fuelguard.do
Old 09-21-2009 | 04:08 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Nice..I am now over 40 could use one of those for certain times when I pee....I am getting the dribbles there too ha

Quick Reply: Please tell me that I’m not the only one…….