Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior wear- 06 C2 CAB

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's situations like this that make me hesitant to look at newer 997s. We all know that the fit and finish of the older 911 was top notch but it seems that this attention to quality is lacking in the newer cars. I would understand these finish issues on older cars but not ones that are only 2-4 years old.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 AM
linklaw
Advanced

I have the same issues with the key surround and ashtray on my 2005S. While the car was still under warranty, I asked the dealer about replacing these items and was advised that they considered the condition to be normal wear and tear. The dealer refused to warranty the items. When the hinge on my ashtray broke, I was near the end of the warranty and the dealer ordered a new ashtray under warranty. The ashtray had to come from germany and when it arrived a month later, I went to pick it up and was told my car was out of warranty so the ashtray would not be covered. I said I had the car to the dealer with the broken part before the warranty expired and was told at the time it would be covered. The dealer said they forgot to put the warranty claim in the system at that time so I was out of luck. I told them to put the ashtray where the sun don't shine and they ended up letting me have the ashtray. Just make sure your dealer submits the warranty claim in a timely fashion if you're near the end of the warranty.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 AM
genew
5th Gear

For you guys that have owned the 993..how does the interior wear items compare with the 997?? Also how does the fit and finish compare on the exterior?? I know this is a thread about interior wear but had to ask. Thanks
Gene
Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

Originally Posted by linklaw
I have the same issues with the key surround and ashtray on my 2005S. While the car was still under warranty, I asked the dealer about replacing these items and was advised that they considered the condition to be normal wear and tear. The dealer refused to warranty the items. When the hinge on my ashtray broke, I was near the end of the warranty and the dealer ordered a new ashtray under warranty. The ashtray had to come from germany and when it arrived a month later, I went to pick it up and was told my car was out of warranty so the ashtray would not be covered. I said I had the car to the dealer with the broken part before the warranty expired and was told at the time it would be covered. The dealer said they forgot to put the warranty claim in the system at that time so I was out of luck. I told them to put the ashtray where the sun don't shine and they ended up letting me have the ashtray. Just make sure your dealer submits the warranty claim in a timely fashion if you're near the end of the warranty.
That might be "normal wear and tear" on a $20,000 car but not a Porsche that cost $80,000+.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Paints and adhesives must now be environmentally friendly. Most are water based or at least have eliminated potentially toxic solvents/ingredients (i.e. lead). This can lead to decreased durability and increased fragility compared to more stable non-water based formulations.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Dan: Are you getting the part from Porsche or doing it after market?
Tony,--I will do it myself. I have plenty of elk and deer skin laying around and will probably buff it very thin, and then using a spray adhesive, glue it to the key surround with the edges of it just under the lip around it. Anything short of leather will just not hold up.

I will practice on the original piece, before the replacement arrives. I'm sure they will have to send it back for them to collect their money. They can't be that expensive, so I will probably buy one as a spare to plug in just before a concours event.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by linklaw
That really sucks. The dealer should have replaced it without question. But not covering the ashtray when it broke while still under warranty is BS.

The rubberized paint on certain trim parts seems to be the weak spot. Porsche should have just done these parts with high quality textured plastic. In my car, which has full leather, the spots I'm super carefull with are the key surround, tunnel console, and window lift trim surround. The rest of the interior seems quite durable and top notch.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I finally got around to repairing the trim piece that surrounds the key area inside my 06 Cab S. Although most of the interior is natural brown leather, they used that crappy short-lived slush finish paint on that trim piece, which wore off in no time. Here's one solution. I took the old one out, roughed it up a bit, trimmed it down in size, and glued over it a piece of deerskin that I dyed to sort of match the interior. I figure it will be good enough. (I also have the piece the factory gave me as a spare). At least it won't wear anymore.
Attached Images      
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

hmm, thats an interesting solution Dan, but to be frank, the outcome is not something I could live with.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 PM
fb123
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, thats an interesting solution Dan, but to be frank, the outcome is not something I could live with.
Frickin' Hilarious. Had to say something.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I think it's just a temporary solution. I'm not that happy with the look. I think the ultimate solution is to put something over the original piece,--like they use on the fenders,--3M stuff. Will have to play with that stuff as well.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ignition surround costs $ 13.74 to replace----you know that right ??

You guys are worse than a bunch of whiney broads out on girls night.......
Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I was never a fan of the cheap looking plastic rear center console and ashtray cover. Definitely a week spot. I had it swapped out for the the body colored one. So that took care of that.

As far as the key surround is concerned, its holding up well on my '05 C2 but i dont have any other keys on the ring so that area doesn't get abused by the hanging keys. I 'll bet even carbon fiber or paint will get scratched up at some point.

TG it is not an expensive part and an easy replacement.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdurg

Since PCNA gives me these I have no idea what the cost is. Thanks for the clarification. I think the long term solution to these wear items is to paint them with something that is duration.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kdurg

At that price it's hardly worth the time (and money) to try to work out an alternative.

Quick Reply: Interior wear- 06 C2 CAB