Sponsored by:

Arrogant Dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:59 PM
cmcarson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrogant Dealers

Just spent the day looking for a new 997 - Had great experience at Storms Motors in Southampton. I call Huntington Porsche & get this arrogant guy that apparently had his best month ever selling cars. The attitude was unreal - and when I apparently inform him of the deals out there - he told me to go take them. So I will...hope they go out of business
Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Who are you? Or are you too arrogant to introduce yourself? It would be nice if people who first post would have the curtesy of introducing themselves and saying something nice about this site. Good luck with your purchase.
abe
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome CM!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Abe pay up or shut up...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John Velasco
Abe pay up or shut up...
LOL. I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:31 AM
cmcarson
Banned

Thanks pdxjim. As for abe - well looks like I will have to win you over. And the site - its great. super helpful and sorry if I came off a little bent. i was just annoyed by a dealer that just wanted to play the game of - business is great. This would be my 5th porsche and about 25th car purchase and I told him I was a buyer. I mean everyone has the internet and knows what the going price is for something.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You won me over an all shut up. The feds took all my money with the trillion dollar debt...thats my excuse this year. I will think of something else next year.

abe
Old 09-06-2009, 05:07 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

For what its worth, when I lived in long island i went to see them for a cayenne(early 2007) for the wife. One of the sales guys there was real nice(Jason Terrance) and took us for a test drive, then let us take the car for a test drive without him. Turns out the wife preferred a bmw and we never got to the negotiation phase. I went back this summer looking for a used 997 and our sales guy was out on vacation and the other salesperson I meet was just as you described it. A total turd all around. He made me wait almost 1/2 hour before he showed me the car and made it a point to be as abnoxious as possible. I've meet some of the guys at porsche of roslyn and they are far more courtious and honest. I looked at a used 997 there, and while we never meet on price, they were far more realistic and "businesslike" in the whole process.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the sales arrogance from both Porsche and BMW dealers. In the latter case, they said no discount on an M3 because it was a "special" car. I happily told him when he called a month later that I bought an M3 elsewhere with a substantial discount. He had the nerve to get pissy with me on the phone, and I was sure to remind him that the M3 is a "special" car.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have encountered arrogant dealers and friendly dealers ( even when I am not buying soon) from all brands. Sometimes they are busy and sometimes, not. The flexibility on price depends on how the dealer is doing, how the salesperson is doing, how the market is going etc. Some dealers can get their hands on special cars more easily and if they cannot get these cars so easily, I am sure they won't deal too much on those.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

CM,
You should here them cry in the bad months. +1 one on Abe.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have encountered arrogant dealers and friendly dealers ( even when I am not buying soon) from all brands. Sometimes they are busy and sometimes, not. The flexibility on price depends on how the dealer is doing, how the salesperson is doing, how the market is going etc. Some dealers can get their hands on special cars more easily and if they cannot get these cars so easily, I am sure they won't deal too much on those.
The M3 is a "special car" until it's sold. Then, it's just a car.

There are so many M cars made that that description means nothing today. The only M cars I ever liked had a 1 after the M.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

The real value of living in the NY Metro area is that there are a ton of dealerships to go to when a sales person decides to play Jerk for a Day.

Unfortunately, for some dealerships it is a game of poker. Who knows what is in you hand or theirs. Be strong! And tell them to stuff it where the light don't shine.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my 997 from Porsche of Huntington. Jason was my salesman. I have been treated with respect and courtesy by everyone there, including long after buying the car. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

This situation strikes me as being a lack of negotiating skill on the part of the original poster. Why waste your time? Hammer the salesman for low price before you even introduce yourself.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There's a$$hole dealers and there are good ones. Same holds true for the customers. As far as I'm concerned, if they treat me like dirt, I walk out and find someone else to do business with. Life is too short to deal with a$$holes. And btw, you can get a good deal without being one also.

Quick Reply: Arrogant Dealers