Sponsored by:

VAG's plans for Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Most of the naysayers haven't driven a Cayenne. These are quite capable vehicles,--unlike a VW or BMW SUV. The Panamera will open up a new market segment for Porsche,--if the VW Group doesn't screw it up. I would take a Panamera over a MB or BMW any day!
I agree. This statement makes no sense at this time, as it may hurt sales. In the grand scheme of things as part of VAG it would make sense for PAG to focus on sports cars, but then Audi should focus on luxury sedans and drop the TT/R8/R10.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The Touareg doesn't sell now, and its certainly not going to sell as a higher priced model...
I don't have the sales figures on the VW SUV, but my understanding is they're selling every one they can build.
I know you can't just go buy one in Southern California. You have to wait for one to become available. They ain't sittin' on the VW lots.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

My guess: To satisfy upcoming government regulations here and in Europe, VAG will be focusing on diesels and hybrids for the large sedans and SUVs, which better suit the Audi and VW brands (yes, I know both Cayenne and Panamera hybrids are being developed, but that was when Porsche needed them as a stand-alone company).

Sounds like VAG plans on refocusing Porsche. I agree that (as SUVs go) the Cayenne is a nice truck. But IMO, having owned a Touareg, it is of less than VW quality; as a product, it made sense to keep Porsche independent, but now that Porsche is not, I don't see the point. The Panamera may be nice to drive, but IMO the styling is going to cripple it. Hopefully a 2-door 928 successor will make the investment worthwhile.

Back in 2002, I thought Porsche should have done an affordable sports car like the 914 instead of a truck. But I understood the logic behind the Cayenne, and accepted it. I'm glad to hear that Porsche may be going back to its roots.

VW has done a great job with Lamborghini and Bugatti (not to mention Audi). I'm not worried about Porsche.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

My guess is profitability will be the key to deciding which models to keep in the line up. In cold weather states there isn't a lot of action happening in the sports car segement during the winter months so I assume dealer input will also be a factor.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Let's hope no one writes off the Panamera before it gets a chance really hit the market. After some 35 years with Porsche, I have learned that their stylists and automotive engineers know a lot more about what looks good than I do (my tastes adjust!) and what drives well! The niche for the Panamera is real--a true four seat Carrera.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the sunk R&D costs, I presume the Panamera will be given a chance. Its release timing maybe somewhat fortunate, possibly at the tail end of a recession versus 2 years ago.

Maybe its because I hate the feel of SUV's over Sedans but whenever I get a Cayenne loaner at the Porsche dealer I frankly hate how it drives. I'd rather be driving my spare leave-at-the-airport V6 Honda Accord over a stock Cayenne - The Honda is faster, smoother, and feel much more planted.

The Panamera pictures to me look interesting though, and agree, hope it is given a chance in the luxury 2 person, occasional 4 person Sedan market. At least Porsche designers were exploring a new niche vs. being a follower.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Report that VAG sees no future for Panamera and Cayenne.
VM is very astute at platform sharing and I can't see them giving up the margin that the Cayenne brings. What I see are increased sales of the 911 through cost cutting moves such as fixed option packages. The 911 will never be the same. dave
Old 09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Back in 2002, I thought Porsche should have done an affordable sports car like the 914 instead of a truck.

They did that in 1997.

Have you heard of the Boxster?

What do you think it was all about?

I want to test drive a Panamera and see what it's like.

Phil
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Report that VAG sees no future for Panamera and Cayenne. See REPORT HERE.

Excerpt:

"... "VW Group has plenty of SUVs and saloons [sedans] -- it doesn't need Porsche to build them," says the story, which should be music to the ears of Porsche faithful and critics who insist the tiny sports-carmaker did potentially irreparable harm to its brand by pasting the Porsche badge onto heavyweight off-roaders and sedans. ..."
That's pure marketing doublespeak. Porsche enthusiasts can trust VW about as far as any one of them could comfortably spit a dead rat.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
They did that in 1997.

Have you heard of the Boxster?

What do you think it was all about?
Yeah, Phil, I've heard of the Boxster. I've actually seen a few around town. But it's a $50k car, just like it was when news of the Cayenne was breaking in 2002...and not what the general population would consider 'affordable'.

I thought it was obvious that I was referring to something less expensive; perhaps in the mid-$30s to compete with the likes of the 370Z, Audi TT, Mini JCW, BMW 135i, etc.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's pure marketing doublespeak. Porsche enthusiasts can trust VW about as far as any one of them could comfortably spit a dead rat.
You know, that image will stay with me longer than I wanted.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Ultimately VW has to decide how to position Porsche within the corporation. It's really as simple as that. If there are perceived redundancies they will be eliminated. The hybrid Porsches will be the first and most obvious casualties as "Porsche Hybrid" is almost an oxymoron anyway. If VW decides to position Porsche as a true high performance brand it would not be difficult to offer only the highest performance (and highest profit margin) models of both the Cayenne and Panamera. This would minimize fratricide among the brands and preserve the image of Porsche while still snagging those high end buyers. The Panamera Turbo appears to be the only variant that really moves the car, and the same could be said about the Cayenne, w/ the Turbo and GTS models the most desirable.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You know, that image will stay with me longer than I wanted.
Sorry about that. It's an old HHGTTG line.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Yeah, Phil, I've heard of the Boxster. I've actually seen a few around town. But it's a $50k car, just like it was when news of the Cayenne was breaking in 2002...and not what the general population would consider 'affordable'.

I thought it was obvious that I was referring to something less expensive; perhaps in the mid-$30s to compete with the likes of the 370Z, Audi TT, Mini JCW, BMW 135i, etc.

In 2002 Boxster prices started @ $42,500. It definitely competed on price .

Porsche has never been interested in competing with the beetle. If they did we'd all jump on the bandwagon to chastize them for that. I know,, you didn't say "beetle", I'm just trying to demonstrate you're missing the point of the boxster. It was designed to be a more affordable, introductory Porsche.

If that doesn't do it for you how about the Porsche bicycle?

http://www.gizmag.com/go/1192/picture/387/

These were "only" $11,000.

Do you REALLY think they should be building cars in the $30's?

I think not. It is simply not their style or place.

Phil
Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Porsche has no business building cars in the $30's. While that may garner more sales overall, it completely devalues the brand.

Quick Reply: VAG's plans for Porsche