Sponsored by:

VAG's plans for Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts
Default VAG's plans for Porsche

Report that VAG sees no future for Panamera and Cayenne. See REPORT HERE.

Excerpt:

"... "VW Group has plenty of SUVs and saloons [sedans] -- it doesn't need Porsche to build them," says the story, which should be music to the ears of Porsche faithful and critics who insist the tiny sports-carmaker did potentially irreparable harm to its brand by pasting the Porsche badge onto heavyweight off-roaders and sedans. ..."
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

When Porscher was a stand alone brand and most, if not all, dealers were stand alone operations, I could see the need to broaden the product line to include SUVs and sedans. But as Porsche is now part of a large auto company this might not be so necessary. Also, I do agree that getting into SUVs is the wrong direction for Porsche. The sedan? I don't know, but I am skeptical.

I believe it was in the 1990s(?) when dealers could not sell sports cars or coupes ( Honda Prelude, Nissan Z, Mazda RX7, etc.) Many became history, so I understand th former strategy of Porsche, but today, I think they could survive without the SUVs and sedan. Likewise, I see the Audi R8 disappearing eventually.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Likewise, I see the Audi R8 disappearing eventually.
I agree with you... Audi doesn't know how to build a proper sports car, except the R8
Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they should give the Panamera a chance to see how it does.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 has never been a pretty car. it has built it's reputation on it's drive ability. The Panamera is not a pretty car BUT what a driver, (according to all the pundits) . If I was in the market for a 7 series, or an S class I would seriously give this car a chance. I hope the Porsche marquee is let alone to live and die by itself. Without any parental intervention.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i think both panamera and cayenne are great models.. give you the ability to drive a porsche regardless if your hauling a trailor, passengers, or driving sporty. i would buy a panamera over a quattreporte/7 series/etc.. and i would buy a cayenne over the other SUV's out there.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Presumably the Cayenne genetics can continue to live on in the form of a top trim level VW Touareg. It's a truck -- I don't care what badge is has on it, as long as it can do the job.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got to really take a close look at the Panamera in Monterey and it's great. Even my father, who'd had his heart set on a Bentley GT wants a Panamera Turbo now. As for the Cayenne, if I could afford a Cayenne GTS for a daily, I'd have one.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by pbarch1
The 911 has never been a pretty car. it has built it's reputation on it's drive ability. The Panamera is not a pretty car BUT what a driver, (according to all the pundits) . If I was in the market for a 7 series, or an S class I would seriously give this car a chance. I hope the Porsche marquee is let alone to live and die by itself. Without any parental intervention.
I do not know what you mean by 'pretty car', but the 911 shape is and has always been a timeless shape/design. It is a beautiful car.

I do agree that the Panamera is a great design - form follows function. Pretty or not, who cares? If these plans are true, they are certainly odd - they should not kill Panamera sales before they even start.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i'd be sad about the Cayenne. In 2004, I really went to look at the toureg and due to BAD customer service, I bought the Cayenne S even though it was 15k more! I had to speak to a 'peon' salesman at VW, then the sales manager, who said, well go ahead and buy the Cayenne, we are not discounting the toureg...I drove by there to see the sales manager after I bought the Cayenne, just to see the look on his face. It was priceless!!!! If they get rid of the Cayenne, I will NEVER buy a VW!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Let's not forget one important fact - Cayennes account for 50% +/- of all Porsches sold worldwide.
It's an extremely big deal for Porsche.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I think they should give the Panamera a chance to see how it does.
If you read the article, second paragraph, the Panamera and Cayenne models will continue to be built until their product cycles have been completed, which is estimated to be around 2017.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Let's not forget one important fact - Cayennes account for 50% +/- of all Porsches sold worldwide.
It's an extremely big deal for Porsche.
We have a winner. Porsche would be a lot less valuable to VAG (or anyone for that matter) if its range were to consist solely of the 911, Cayman and Boxster. More to the point, it will be easier than ever for VAG to leverage the hell out of the similarities between the Cayenne and the Touareg. As for the Panamera, it slots in comfortably below Bentley and fills a niche that VAG otherwise would have to leave untapped. The successors to the Cayenne and Panamera may well be branded differently, but I suspect the broad model strategy will remain unchanged.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Most of the naysayers haven't driven a Cayenne. These are quite capable vehicles,--unlike a VW or BMW SUV. The Panamera will open up a new market segment for Porsche,--if the VW Group doesn't screw it up. I would take a Panamera over a MB or BMW any day!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 904 Likes on 504 Posts

The Touareg doesn't sell now, and its certainly not going to sell as a higher priced model. If they want to dump the Cayenne, they will have to bring in a Bentley SUV - and not price it at $150K.

Quick Reply: VAG's plans for Porsche