Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Porsche toy car for wifey....anyone know vintage speedsters or other?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this prospective sports car purchase is just a toy that may end up being sold in short order, why not consider something like a Mazda Miata? Simple, inexpensive, readily available, reliable and fun to drive. If you decide to bail out, you won't lose a lot of money.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
abregov
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mickfluff, I have a 2004 Intermeccanica (IM) that I am selling to get a Cayenne to lug the kids around. If you are interested, you can shoot me an email at oz@aspenadvisory.com. I can send you some pictures of it also.

My IM car is CA registered and has the SB100 certificate, so it is exempt from smog in CA.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default pm'd

pm'd thanks

Originally Posted by abregov
Mickfluff, I have a 2004 Intermeccanica (IM) that I am selling to get a Cayenne to lug the kids around. If you are interested, you can shoot me an email at oz@aspenadvisory.com. I can send you some pictures of it also.

My IM car is CA registered and has the SB100 certificate, so it is exempt from smog in CA.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And for a completely different approach, look at the Z3 - which is pretty cool to tool around in and still reasonable in price and maintenance cost. Perhaps not old enough but pretty classic lines.

An old T-bird or vette, as already mentioned, might fit the bill. Else a replica P-car for that use, especially if a 'vert is called for. At the other end might be the MBZ 190/230/250/280SL some of which are approaching unobtainable pricing for me - or even the old MGA or MGB if actually running isn't required! The more I think about it, the more choices I can generate.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
linklaw
Advanced

I bought my wife a 1966 230sl for a tenth anniversary present in 1997. It was an automatic with power steering and brakes and she really liked it. In 1999, sold the sl and bought her a SLK. Then a Lexus SC430. I looked at a Beck Speedster a few years ago and was not impressed with it. I guess it was ok for what it is, a fiberglas body on a tube frame, powered by a vw engine, but it left me unimpressed.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks for the ideas all

But wifey seems to have good taste in cars..... anytime she picks out a car its an old vintage vert like the MB sl or most recent the speedster around town. We all know a miata and z3 will handle better, faster, way more car for the $ but wont proviode the nostalgic feeling I believe she would attain wheeling around in a true classic from years ago. If she ever changed her tune and wanted something new I would step up and get her a used sl55 (or something like that) in the 50K range this way I could have some fun with it..... but for now she likes the older cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Speed
Pro

For our 30th wedding anniversary I bought my wife a '63 356B cabriolet which she happened to find in the classified section of Excellence Magazine back when they published reader classifieds. She drives it every weekend (as do I). Best decision. The 356 is readily available and easy to maintain and great fun to drive. Get something real, not a replica.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed
For our 30th wedding anniversary I bought my wife a '63 356B cabriolet which she happened to find in the classified section of Excellence Magazine back when they published reader classifieds. She drives it every weekend (as do I). Best decision. The 356 is readily available and easy to maintain and great fun to drive. Get something real, not a replica.
Agreed, however, considering she wants a convertible, and prices for good 356 cabs in the stratosphere, it may not be affordable.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default wide body

Abregov thanks for the info, beatiful car your selling..... but after more research I have found the style I need. I really want a wide bodied car with the flared hips.... I do not believe IM makes such a version and the more popoular of such is the GTR from automotive legends. Now I still need to continue to research the quality of their builds but styling wise I know this is what I want... (I think vintage speedsters makes as well) wide body- and seems like I maybe able to find one near new just a bit ubove what I wanted to spend. Here is a link to one that looks to have sold for 25K.... if IM did make such a car and I could purchase for mid 30's I would step up in $$$$ as from all the data I have done the IM cars are the best made...

http://www.motorcities.com/photo/viewer/07DGC274501553E

some pics attached as well.... any words of wisdom would be great. -yes would swap the wheels out-

Last edited by mickfluff; 12-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Automotive Legend cars are made by Vintage Speedsters in Hawaiian Gardens. They spiff the cars up with lots of appearance extras, kick up the price, and market them.
If you want a wide-bodied car like this, you'd be better off dealing with Vintage directly. And, if you're buying one of these "used," be sure to have someone who knows about VW engines give it a good inspection before you write the check. Not all "pumped up" VW air-cooled engines are thoughtfully constructed, so to speak.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thanks

thanks for the advice!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
RPMert
Advanced

Don't want to be a buzz killer. Sorry.

I won't let my kids or wife drive a car without crumple zones and airbags.

A "collector" car without air bags is fine, but a routine or semi-routine drive mobile? No way.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by RPMert

A "collector" car without air bags is fine, but a routine or semi-routine drive mobile? No way.
Oy.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about a 914/6?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default around town

I live in a resort community, all slow road and speed limits are mainly 25mph. Not a car to be used for anything more then out to diner, sunset rides, etc etc.,,,, I can understand you post though completely.

Originally Posted by RPMert

Quick Reply: Fun Porsche toy car for wifey....anyone know vintage speedsters or other?