Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Porsche toy car for wifey....anyone know vintage speedsters or other?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fun Porsche toy car for wifey....anyone know vintage speedsters or other?

Premature but the next B day for the wife is 40 and she has made some mention of wanting a fun little old school looking convert to tool around town in. She may put on 3K miles a year max....Someone in town has a reproduction 356 porsche by vintage speedsters. www.vintagespeedsters.com and curious if anyone knows anything about this company and such cars.

Key things; she wants an old looking vintage car, convert....nothing to muscle like (no cobra's) and I want something fairly reliable that won't loose to much money on depreciation in case she gets bored....and that I wont have to sink $$$ into . These cars run near 30K loaded up with decent options, people then sell them in the 20K range used with light miles (so far based on some data I have gathered) so even if she got bored fairly confident I could unload the car for 12-14K range after a few years if needed worse case....(if I bought used) but she may keep it for ever who knows...

Please dont't school me on the rights and wrongs about posing in a car that is not the real deal. Not buying the wife a correct restored 356....sorry....Just looking for a unique gift to make the wife smile on the big day.....she does not blow $ on jewlery, never gives me a crocked eye when I get new toys etc....

any advice would be great, thanks.....
-she also likes the old school 280sl benz.... nice ones are bigger $$$ and again do not want a money pit and fear this with an old car. I have never owned a very old car....-
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 AM
westlaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 thread right? You might try posting in the 356 section and see what they have to say.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

You might want to consider a couple things first, and I am only saying this because I bought my wife a Eldorado Convertable (which she loved the looks of), and she drove it 3 times in the 5 months or so we had it. She it a small woman (5'3 103lbs) and it was too big for her. Replica cars might not be a bad idea, I have driven a Beck they are not bad, and I assume your wife can drive a stick. You might also consider a 70's Vette, some are pretty cheap, and they are very easy to work on. I no longer buy my wife any presents, she picks out her own.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:47 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

I've looked at and considered them in the past. Would certainly be fun to drive and should be very reliable-just get in and drive. Would make a great gift IMO.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

Actually, the 356 Forum might not be the best spot to pose this question. Some owners of "real" 356s are NOT big fans of replica Speedsters...in fact, they really hate them.

I have a 1962 356-B T-6 Sunroof Coupe. I also have a replica Speedster which was made by JPS Motorsports in North Hollywood, CA. There are several fabricators building these little cars, but Vintage Speedsters in Hawaiian Gardens, CA is the largest by volume.

If you're not sure how well your wife will like her "hot rod Volkswagen," which is what these cars really are, then buying a slightly used one is the right way to start. Your $$ outlay will be less, and your loss will be minimal if you decide to sell it later.

I'm obviously a fan of replicas, having had three of them. They are very fun to tool around in, and the classic Speedster shape draws people to it wherever it goes. You'll spend a lot of time talking to strangers about the car.

I think, if your wife is inclined to like the car in the first place, a Speedster replica would be a terrific gift.

Here's my latest...a fake Outlaw.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Do yourself a favor and drive a few first, most of them are not all that pleasent to drive and KYAG if you even get tapped by another car.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 57 coupe (and absolutely love it). I toyed with the idea of buying a replica. I drove a bunch, the one that almost got me there was the Intermeccanica. They are more $$$, but hold value well. Good luck.

http://www.intermeccanica.com/
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
DanJK
Racer

If your going replica, why not consider a 550 spyder? I've seen some that were done very tastefully with a Porsche powerplant (914).
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

The Intermeccanica cars, built in Vancouver, BC, are NOT kit cars - at least not in the same sense as the Vintage Speedster cars.
Intermeccanicas are built on tube-steel frames (not shortened VW Beetle pans) and really are custom manufactured automobiles. They are simply amazing. However, their pricepoint is considerably (++) higher than the kit car guys.
Worth a look, though.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default nope

I know, thought about that but not in the mood to get grenades tossed at me.... kinda like posting here on 997 forum about buying a 997 kit car. Fear I would get less real advice then jabs. But I did browse the forum and some data there but not much, also on 6speed. Hoping maybe a 997 or other owner may have some none bias data for me.

Thanks, and I understand your reply.... would have replied the same myself.

Originally Posted by cvanslyk
997 thread right? You might try posting in the 356 section and see what they have to say.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thank you so much

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the data.... I saw the maker mention in Canada but emmisions, import etc I thought could be a hassle but maybe able to source one locally. I have not seen one used so have not an idea how far off on price they are? I would love to spend 15K on a used car, will spend 20K if needed for a used low low miles car and I have time to wait out the best available car at best price so at least this on my side.

Yes the spyder is great, I have seen a great one by BECK for sale but the wife likes the speedster look. At least she has good taste for not being all that into cars seeming to want a porsche.

any other advice I am all ears and just self educating myself now.... and good point about an accident. This car would never be driven on the highway... and just for the roads around Newport RI is all... still can get hurt on back roads I know but keeping speeds in the 40mph range hope would keep that lower god forbid anything ever happened.

Hoping I maybe able to get one from a P car owner just looking to clean out their garage for a good $ and little use etc...

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

drive one. that killed wanting one for me.
it was a dissapointing driving experience.
right turns were very difficult as the momentum and roll combined with the tightness between the wheel and the shifter would trap my right knee.
the thing reeked of fuel at all times.
the fiberglass body was chipped all over the place and the rivets for the top were popping out.
and i have never had more ignoramuses asking me the most ridiculous quesions like; "what year, 1910?"

that being said this was not an Intermeccanica, which is as Leader said a real car, better then the original, rather then a replica. i have seen but not driven an Intermeccanica and while it was top notch, they run 50k+.

check this board out: http://www.speedsterowners.com/
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

You mentioned the 280SL...that may be a better choice, as they drive like a relatively modern car. Power steering, automatic transmission, and AC on most of them, 200+ hp makes them relatively quick, and they're built like tanks. There are a lot of them available, and the prices are down...depending on your pickiness for color, condition, originality, etc., very good ones are in the low-$30k range, down about $10k from a year or two ago. Excellent ones are in the $40s. I'm sure once the economy improves, prices will go back up...I'm hoping to find the right one before then myself.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I want something fairly reliable that won't loose to much money on depreciation in case she gets bored....and that I wont have to sink $$$ into .
sounds like an '89 to me
Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
GulleyGulley
Advanced

Not mine, no affiliation.
http://www.intermeccanica.com/2001_r..._Atchison.html

Things to consider when looking at a replica (I like 'em, built 'em & will do it again)
- 550 & 356 don't have roll up windows (Intermecs. do)
- Tops are marginal at best (Intermecs are similar to Conv D tops, not too bad)
- Only a few manufacturers use a VW pan. Most use a custom tube frame with VW running gear
- VW engines, good, bad, depends on who put it together

Quick Reply: Fun Porsche toy car for wifey....anyone know vintage speedsters or other?