Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do all CPO cars have an extended transferable warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all CPO cars have an extended transferable warranty?

I'm looking at an '05 Carrera that the current owner purchased in '06 as a CPO car from a Porsche dealer. The owner seems to think it did not come with any extended warrany, other than the original 4 year factory warranty. He seems to recall that would have cost an extra $ 3,800. I was under the impression that all CPO cars came with an extention of the warranty for 2 years or 100,000 miles, and suspect he may be confused with a third party extended warranty.

So, do all CPO cars have an extended warranty, and if so, what needs to be done in order to transfer it upon sale?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

do not transfer as im told..

you can add CPO as long as within the factory 4years/50k warranty.. some dealers will allow some will not.. costs 2-4k depending on dealer.. usually they buy it and sell it back to you..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Jfk if the car you're talking about was sold as a pre owned CPO car in 2006 then it would have the balance of the factory warranty on it which probably expired by now. Then on the day the original warranty expired either on time or miles the CPO would kick in giving you 2 years and 50k more miles from the miles at that time. CPO stays with the car if there is any left. The CPO costs the dealer about 2k plus shop charges to bring the car up to CPO spec. They can charge you whatever they want.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

didnt know it changed hands with diff owners.. in the CPO book says its for the owner that gets the CPO done... not the following..

i went over this again and again with my last car cause when i bought it i had 7 days left on original warranty and was debating CPO... the dealer that bought my 997.1 from me thought they could CPO it even after i said they couldnt.. after they bought it they realized it could not be CPO'd...

funny thing tho they did manage to change it from a 3(then 4) owner car into a 1 owner car on carfax, and also edit some things out (didnt know that was possible, makes me wanna doubt carfax now)
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CPO stays with the car and transfers to new owner (as long as the new owner is not a dealer, then it does not transfer)
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mobonic
CPO stays with the car and transfers to new owner (as long as the new owner is not a dealer, then it does not transfer)
thats what i read then, thanx for clarification.. everyone go find some private party CPO cars now!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Read the rules and regulations on the Porsche NA website. It gives all of the terms of the CPO. If sold from individual to individual, transfers over. If it goes through a Porsche dealer, it transfers. I think the only time it doesn't is if it goes through an "unauthorized dealer".
Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Read the rules and regulations on the Porsche NA website. It gives all of the terms of the CPO. If sold from individual to individual, transfers over. If it goes through a Porsche dealer, it transfers. I think the only time it doesn't is if it goes through an "unauthorized dealer".
Ding Ding Ding.........A Winner!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
didnt know it changed hands with diff owners.. in the CPO book says its for the owner that gets the CPO done... not the following..

i went over this again and again with my last car cause when i bought it i had 7 days left on original warranty and was debating CPO... the dealer that bought my 997.1 from me thought they could CPO it even after i said they couldnt.. after they bought it they realized it could not be CPO'd...

funny thing tho they did manage to change it from a 3(then 4) owner car into a 1 owner car on carfax, and also edit some things out (didnt know that was possible, makes me wanna doubt carfax now)

Dealers have no ability to change a carfax from 3 or 4 owners to 1 owner
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Trader220
Dealers have no ability to change a carfax from 3 or 4 owners to 1 owner
both my 911 and friends cayenne we traded in for 997.2's now say 1 owner. we were both like WTF when we noticed. ill get the vin's for you.

here is the 911.. says 2 owner now since it was sold but it was originally 3 owner+dealer sale.. so should be 4 total now not 2.

WP0AA29972S620947
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
both my 911 and friends cayenne we traded in for 997.2's now say 1 owner. we were both like WTF when we noticed. ill get the vin's for you.

here is the 911.. says 2 owner now since it was sold but it was originally 3 owner+dealer sale.. so should be 4 total now not 2.

WP0AA29972S620947
I just came across this thread, very interesting. You should ask Carfax and the dealership that question. If this is true, kinda makes Carfax worth less than I originally thought, and that was not very much.

Quick Reply: Do all CPO cars have an extended transferable warranty?