HELP!! What should I get??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:26 PM
porschestrabeturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! What should I get??

I am totally confused - and I have been agonizing over this for months:

My '07 C4S Cab lease is up in Q4. (for all the anti-lease folks reading this, please don't bother -- I never want to own another car again - ever!) So, should I order a 2010 C4S Cab? I love my current one - I ordered it and it was everything I wanted at the time - so a new order would be great. Or, should I get an '09 TT Cab? The PFS lease deal is good and people say there are deals out there. As long as it is not all black or some odd color combo and has the options I want, I could be interested. Or should I bite the bullet and order a 2010 TT Cab?

I know this should be a no-brainer -- I LOVE to drive (especially great cars), so even I can figure out that the TT would make my day, month and year... but... one of my biggest concerns is that I already drive fast and I can be fairly aggressive, when prompted. My C4S allows me to dispatch with all of the sheep on the road already -- and without the obstacles (which I do enjoy maneuvering around), some say I drive like the speed of light.

Will the 09TT tempt me to push the envelope so much farther that I will attract every cop within a 100 mile radius? And if I decide on the TT, is the 2010 worth the extra $$$, or I am truly tempting fate with 500HP?

And lastly, on the practical side -- I am a chic. Is it more of a risk for me to drive a TT than a C4S, or is that a moot point?

I know this a great dilemma to have -- however, it's also a very tough decision... Who better to ask than a bunch of porsche freaks, who will completely understand my quandary.

All thoughts are appreciated!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You know the answer to your own question. You're rationalizing getting another 4S. It's clear you want the TT cab, whether an '09 or '10. Driving a TT over a 4S will take a some time to adjust to once you learn the car's (and your) limits. In the end, it's really a matter of cost. If I was in a financial position to get a TT, and it really lit me up (the way it does for you), I'd probably go for it. Nice choice to have to make. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me know what you decide I have an 08S that is off lease in 9 months, and I am in the same boat (minus the "being a chick part) ha I may actually stray tho, and get an M5, or an E63....OK, go ahead and start the yelling...............

Last edited by cole328; 08-15-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
triman
Track Day

Had an M5 before my current C2 cab. What a beast! Completely different car than the porsche but I did love it until I hit a house (true story). Not my fault fortunately, my insurance agent was crying when they totaled that one.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

And lastly, on the practical side -- I am a chic.
thats the best line I have EVER seen on Rennlist!LOL!

I dont know why but its just great! Good luck whatever you do. 07s and 08s TTs should be dirt cheap
with low miles. THATS what I WAS going to do till I realized the 09 C2S was everything I needed
and yes I have had a TT and GT3's.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by triman
Had an M5 before my current C2 cab. What a beast! Completely different car than the porsche but I did love it until I hit a house (true story). Not my fault fortunately, my insurance agent was crying when they totaled that one.
Tell me more...I had an E46 M3 right before this car 2005 SMG tranny loved the fact that I could take both kids in it, and it was a complete hoot to drive...however, it dis not have that "eyeball" appeal (to myself) t
that the 911 does now. I now have a 1 year old daughter and a 3 year old son, and so would be nice to take the whole family out in my car....thus I was thinking the M5. however, that car also is not that "sexy" to me...I know it drives well, but I am not sure is the kind of car that would make me turn my head back when walking away from it. PLus, since I can only afford to be a two car family, and i am 43, I thouht it may be time to grow up and get rid of the sports car.....can you tell I am conflicted??
Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cole, the M5 is a great car, but coming out of the Porsche, you would probably be disappointed. I came out of an M6 cab and, although the car was great, it was heavy, clucky trans with the smg and a huge gas hog. I am totally thrilled with my 09C2S PDK and it has plenty of power for me. maybe a Panamera or Cayenne GTS for a family hauler?

Porschestra, I see your dilemna, if I was coming out of a lease now, I'd go for the 09 turbo cab 6 speed or order a 2010 C4S cab. The PDK is awesome. That's my 0.2 cents! Good luck with your search!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:53 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

You bring up some very good points, and I was having a similar discussion with a group of drivers at my local Ferrari dealer today. I own a, highly moded 997S, and maybe my prespective is a bit tainted by both my age and all the cars I have owned, but I have come to realize that for the most part it is pretty much impossible to use all the power that these cars have, and even the least expensive 997 is more car than you can really use on a public road without either getting a ticket or being reckless. The real question is, what does more power get you, my guess alot harder braking.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Tell me more...I had an E46 M3 right before this car 2005 SMG tranny loved the fact that I could take both kids in it, and it was a complete hoot to drive...however, it dis not have that "eyeball" appeal (to myself) t
that the 911 does now. I now have a 1 year old daughter and a 3 year old son, and so would be nice to take the whole family out in my car....thus I was thinking the M5. however, that car also is not that "sexy" to me...I know it drives well, but I am not sure is the kind of car that would make me turn my head back when walking away from it. PLus, since I can only afford to be a two car family, and i am 43, I thouht it may be time to grow up and get rid of the sports car.....can you tell I am conflicted??
I also had an M5 before buying my 997. C2S. The M5 is clearly the better kid hauler, no question. I did take three kids to summer school without much issue. However if the school uses an "autoline" where they get the kid out of the car and you drive off the Porsche is not the best for that.

The M5 is more of a heavy family sedan that really comes alive in the higher rpm ranges. Below 4k it's a dog and I found in the city traffic I am in it was a bit sluggish especially with the SMG that really comes alive when you are shifting closer to WOT. It is much more of a brute than the Porsche.

The next M5 will probably be a twin turbo engine with much more guts in the lower rpm ranges. M cars are fun to drive and if you need a sedan they are more athletic than the E63, although the new E63 may raise the bar.

I prefer the 997 because; it is much more tractable down low and easily to drive at slower speeds, the M5 gas mileage was awful, and the Porsche is more connected to the road.

I do have another car to use for Home Depot runs, I don't think I could survive with the 997 as my only car.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks...my wife has the obligatory e-class 350 sedan, so we use that for weekends . errands......maybe a new Cab should be in my future...Monday thru friday its pretty much only me on the car. Also, a syou said, I heard the M5 literally DRINKS fuel....that would annoy me. Plus, I need a car with low end grunt, as my commute is on back city roads, and not much chance to get into the 6K rpm range I have a ton of fun with the porsche between 3 and 4500 rpms....especially love that exhaust note. Oh well, at least I have 9 months to decide. Thanks Cole
Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

real chics drive turbos
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
porschestrabeturbo
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldGuy
thats the best line I have EVER seen on Rennlist!LOL!

I dont know why but its just great! Good luck whatever you do.
My husband thought it was amusing too... Happy to have made you both laugh!!!

When we got our first P-Car, we went to see the boxster. As my husband was looking at in the showroom, I saw a great car sitting outside - I asked the dealer - and he proceeded to tell me it had 4 wheel drive and a hard top, so it was like 2 cars in one -- That's practical!!! Needless to say, we went home with the C4cab.

So, back to my quandary -- Yes PhilG, I am leaning towards the 09 turbo. I was just hoping someone would say, "Don't do it!"

My husband is like you Cole -- he's all about the BMW. Not me - I think it sounds whiney compared to my P-car -- and it's just not as much fun.

There is nothing like a long, winding road, top down, wind in my hair - and me singing my heart out with Clapton, while making turns at 90mph. And having a deep throaty engine as my back up... Yes, I want the turbo - I've said it.

what's that expression - admitting you have a problem is the first step?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

^
A real Porsche gal...your husband's a lucky guy!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll be happier in either model year of the turbo.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

There is nothing like a long, winding road, top down, wind in my hair - and me singing my heart out with Clapton, while making turns at 90mph. And having a deep throaty engine as my back up... Yes, I want the turbo - I've said it.

what's that expression - admitting you have a problem is the first step?[/QUOTE]

OK....in a non-threatening way, I am officially turned on now!

Quick Reply: HELP!! What should I get??