Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the most miles you'd do on a pre-owned and does anyone buy w/o driving them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

You didn't specify model year you're looking for--just looking in places like auto trader and cars.com, I can find 2009 models with between 5-9,000 miles. I agree with the above comments. It's all a function of price and condition, in my mind. That said, in general "average" miles on a Porsche usually is less than a Chevy (my rule of thumb on Porsches is 7,000-9,0000 miles per year) and quite a bit more than Ferraris.

I don't drive my Club Coupe much (I've got about 5,000 miles on it) but it's not for sale. There's lots of low mile Porsches, if that's what you want. You just have to look in the right places.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk34
In the Bay Area they have dried up. I'm can find almost no CPO'd cars on lots right now and used S coups are scarce both at Porsche and non-Porsche dealerships. I might have to buy new because of a lack of choices. I would be happier if I were wrong. Please point me to the right dealerships....
Did a search on www.autotrader.com and found just 3 CPO cars in 50 mile radius of 94550 (Livermore CA area).

There are lots of used Porsches though. Using same 50 mile radius and limiting years to 2006 to 2010 found 39 cars.

Bear in mind dealer might not CPO car to save money but if you're interested in car dealer might CPO it if it means a sale.

I see that 2006 Carmona Red Carrera's still for sale!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by pickles
I've been limiting my search to under 12k miles and there are not a ton of cars configured the way I want and close enough to test them.

Two questions:

1) What's the most miles people here tend to accept on a pre-owned? I've seen many in the 20-40k range. How much of a discount compared to the same exact care in the 5-10k mile range would you demand/expect?

2) Has anyone ever bought a pre-owned car sight unseen (other than pictures)? I've bought my Porsches in the past sight unseen but always off the boat or showroom with factory miles. There are a lot of cars that meet my needs but are way too far for me to go for a visit to. With used cars I tend to be more concerned about the things that are hard to see in photos.

Any suggestions or thoughts on these questions are greatly appreciated!!
If car not mod'd or tracked and owner has proof of regular servicing 20K to 40K miles not bad. If low miles I like some warranty time to cover car while I drive it. Problems arise from miles driven not time car sits around so a low mileage car with no warranty remaining based on time is a bit of a risk.

I bought an 03 Turbo with just 9500 miles but it came with the new/improved CPO warranty that adds 2 years, 100K miles coverage to the car. Intend to use the car quite a bit in the remaining time period and probably put nearly 50K miles on the car.

One wants to try to avoid paying a premium for a low mileage car though cause the premium tends to evaporate quite quickly as car driven. If you're not going to drive car then buy one with higher miles. What difference then does it make how many miles on the car.

Generally buying a used car the car's condition and price come before color, options, and miles.

I would never buy a car sight unseen. I might have someone in a distant location check a car out for me but I'd still want to see it and drive it before putting any money down on the table. I'd rather burn an airline ticket's worth of money on a wasted flight than end up with a piece of junk I bought sight unseen.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pickles
Nah, they're not drying up. They're piling up. I've been doing weeks of surveying Porsche and non Porsche dealerships. The inventory is huge.
Maybe where you live but my dealer in NJ sold 7 CPO cars in the past two weeks.

Other dealers, Ray catena and princeton porsche have very little inventory.

The inventory is moving. Its nothing like it was in may or june.

Quick Reply: What's the most miles you'd do on a pre-owned and does anyone buy w/o driving them?