Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the most miles you'd do on a pre-owned and does anyone buy w/o driving them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
pickles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the most miles you'd do on a pre-owned and does anyone buy w/o driving them?

I've been limiting my search to under 12k miles and there are not a ton of cars configured the way I want and close enough to test them.

Two questions:

1) What's the most miles people here tend to accept on a pre-owned? I've seen many in the 20-40k range. How much of a discount compared to the same exact care in the 5-10k mile range would you demand/expect?

2) Has anyone ever bought a pre-owned car sight unseen (other than pictures)? I've bought my Porsches in the past sight unseen but always off the boat or showroom with factory miles. There are a lot of cars that meet my needs but are way too far for me to go for a visit to. With used cars I tend to be more concerned about the things that are hard to see in photos.

Any suggestions or thoughts on these questions are greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 PM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought some cars sight unseen and have never had a problem. Never a Porsche though (heck even my 356 I flew to see). On my recently acquired 997, I flew from Philly to FL to check the car in person. Airtrans was $69 and I drove the 1,000 miles home as a roadtrip (tons of fun). If you find a good car, its worth the money to see it in person - its cheap insurance. Otherwise, try to find somebody locally to go see it on your behalf. Especially a 911.

If you cant swing it, best to gets as many pics as possible and call the servicing dealer to make sure the car has been services.

Like I said, I have bought low mileage cars sight unseen, but you are rolling the dice IMO.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wiggy
I have bought some cars sight unseen and have never had a problem. Never a Porsche though (heck even my 356 I flew to see). On my recently acquired 997, I flew from Philly to FL to check the car in person. Airtrans was $69 and I drove the 1,000 miles home as a roadtrip (tons of fun). If you find a good car, its worth the money to see it in person - its cheap insurance. Otherwise, try to find somebody locally to go see it on your behalf. Especially a 911.

If you cant swing it, best to gets as many pics as possible and call the servicing dealer to make sure the car has been services.

Like I said, I have bought low mileage cars sight unseen, but you are rolling the dice IMO.

Good luck!
Thx. What do you think is the high mark for mileage when buying a used 997? Was I keeping it too low at under 12k? Can a well cared for car with 25-30k be just as good a bet?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I can safely say I've never bought a car -- new or used -- sight unseen. I'm the type of person that just has to try out everything first.

As far as pre-owned miles, that all depends on the age of the car. On an 80's SC or Carrera, for example, I'd be way more flexible on the miles than I would on a 997. 20k or so on late-models is about the most I'd go myself.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM
wiggy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there are deals out there. I guess there are two schools of thought. When I was looking, I was not going to buy a car over 30,000 miles and I wanted an 06. With that kinda mileage, the car is broken in and I would think if something major was going to happen it would have. But again, I wouldnt buy any 911 without a CPO.

I looked at a bunch of cars in the 20,000 to 30,000 range, then I got lucky and scored a car for basically the same price with 5,500 miles.

There are lots of these cars for sale right now and there are deals to be had.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Miles are not an issue (if well driven). Actually a garage queen may have more problems than a well driven car. I would never buy a 911 without driving it though.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:57 AM
pickles
Intermediate

After how many miles should I worry about the clutch though?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pickles
After how many miles should I worry about the clutch though?
A clutch can be trashed by an incompetent driver in less than 5,000 miles, or it can go further than 100,000 miles. (I have driven two of my past 911s past 100,000 without a clutch change).

This is the dilemma of purchasing a 6-speed sports car used,--what did the previous owner(s) do to the car while in their possession?

As Tony suggests, more miles is a better sign to me. Two reasons:

(1) More bugs are worked out of a car that has been used and not sitting in a garage somewhere.

(2) Many car abusers rack up little miles but do a significant amount of damage in that period. Know your seller. Have THEM drive and watch how they drive the car.

Why does everyone seem to call them pre-owned" cars when they are "used cars?"
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

I agree with dan.

Mileage is just not as important as finding out at much as you can about a car and then thats still not enough.

I found out everything I could about my used CPO'ed 05 carrera and the engine went after 320 miles of my driving it. But the key is I had a warranty and a few weeks later a new engine. (even new headers and battery)

You can not predict the future nor can you get every bit of info on a car unless you buy it from a family member.

I do believe one other thing. The cars available are drying up quickly. Two weeks ago I picked up my car from the dealer and he had 14 CPO cars on the lot. Last nite I stopped by and he had 7 left. Only one of them a 997.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 PM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
I agree with dan.

Mileage is just not as important as finding out at much as you can about a car and then thats still not enough.

I found out everything I could about my used CPO'ed 05 carrera and the engine went after 320 miles of my driving it. But the key is I had a warranty and a few weeks later a new engine. (even new headers and battery)

You can not predict the future nor can you get every bit of info on a car unless you buy it from a family member.

I do believe one other thing. The cars available are drying up quickly. Two weeks ago I picked up my car from the dealer and he had 14 CPO cars on the lot. Last nite I stopped by and he had 7 left. Only one of them a 997.
Nah, they're not drying up. They're piling up. I've been doing weeks of surveying Porsche and non Porsche dealerships. The inventory is huge.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

You're worried about miles but are considering buying sight unseen? You've got your priorities reversed--go over the car with a fine-toothed comb in person but don't worry about a few thousand miles one way or the other.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my M5 new without driving it and my C4S with 9300 miles off this forum and did not drive it either. It did come through a dealer with a CPO, and a dealer PDI was necessary before I agreed to the deal. I have been very happy with it.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I would not worry about miles, if the cars feel apart after 20K miles then every car made before 2000 would be in a junkyard. I had the chance recently to drive my 78 targa, the guy I sold it to still had it, and had moved fairly near me. It had 73K on it, and I made him an offer to buy it back.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pickles
Nah, they're not drying up. They're piling up. I've been doing weeks of surveying Porsche and non Porsche dealerships. The inventory is huge.
In the Bay Area they have dried up. I'm can find almost no CPO'd cars on lots right now and used S coups are scarce both at Porsche and non-Porsche dealerships. I might have to buy new because of a lack of choices. I would be happier if I were wrong. Please point me to the right dealerships....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
pickles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andrewk34
In the Bay Area they have dried up. I'm can find almost no CPO'd cars on lots right now and used S coups are scarce both at Porsche and non-Porsche dealerships. I might have to buy new because of a lack of choices. I would be happier if I were wrong. Please point me to the right dealerships....
Well I'm not going by area but by the aggregate of cars across the US. I am looking wide and willing to take a chance on a car I haven't driven.

Quick Reply: What's the most miles you'd do on a pre-owned and does anyone buy w/o driving them?