Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What model is the best Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Giants84
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What model is the best Daily driver?

Seriously considering getting a porsche next, what is the best one for a DD, looking to lease so don't want the lease to be over 2k a month. Thanks appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any 997 coupe with Adaptive Sport Seats & PDK.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Giants84
AutoX

Any idea which is worth getting if my budget is about 2k a month on the lease? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Giants84
Any idea which is worth getting if my budget is about 2k a month on the lease? Thanks.
At $2K, you can choose almost any car short of a Turbo/GT3/GT2 and those aren't renowned daily drivers.

I'd suggest getting into a dialog with several local dealers and then focusing in on the dealer that makes sense and behaves fairly.

I'd certainly encourage you to look at a Carrera S with PDK. A lease there should be below $1400 month for a new '09 one and about the same for a used one ('09 or '08.)

I'd suggest you to go "test drive" local dealers and cars. Both. If the dealer is unpleasant, try a different sales person. The 911 will certainly please, but try each model (Carrera, then S, then Cab, then 4, then 4S, then 4S Cab.) You'll start to appreciate their relative merits. I dislike the weight and "bulk" of the C4S Cab compared to the base Carrera coupe, but compared to the competition, the C4S Cab is like a sharpened rapier. And PDK makes it's 385 hp perform like a lot more car -- not forgetting that this is already "GT3" levels of power from the previous model but with neck-snapping "Sport Plus" shifts or "stop-n-slow" commute in fully automatic mode on the way to work listening to the market*.

* yes, we're close to a downturn. Give it time. : )
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Giants84
AutoX

Thanks appreciate it, will the dealers actually test drive the cars though without putting money down?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Giants84
Thanks appreciate it, will the dealers actually test drive the cars though without putting money down?
Of course - they want to sell you a car surely?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're seriously in the market to lease at $2K pcm, they'll treat you seriously. I don't know your level of experience with the 911, but I'd suggest starting smaller and workng towards what appeals over time. I'd suggest looking at this as a five year expedition, owning five or more 911's, not a one shot win or lose.

I went to Hamilton's in Melbourne (Australia, circa 1990) to drive the 964 and they let me take it out on wet roads (not raining) on my own with a good friend in the passenger seat and I was hooked. They knew what they were doing. : )

I suggest you start with a wide "aperture" and close in on what appeals. I'd start with a '97 993 C2S and C4S, then 993 Turbo. Drive a few of them to develop familiarity and "set a base line." I'd skip the 996 entirely and try some low mile, one-owner 997's. If that appeals, keep going. If you see the merit in the 993, then start there (you can always go to newer models over time.) If you prefer the 997, then start with the C2S and compare the C4S. Of all 997's, I like the base model 997 Carrera. It's the most bang for the buck, it's a lot more car than the 993, but already depreciated to the point that it's affordable for someone with a good career and no debt.
Simple as that.
As far as dealers go, just shop around the local dealers within 50 miles +/- depending upon your location.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Giants84
AutoX

Thanks guys really appreciate your help, reason i asked about the test drive was i wanted to test drive a GTR, came there on my brand new jaguar XF and they would not let me test drive the car even with a down payment. So i said you know what screw this i am going to get a porsche, i was thinking about the 911 turbo but i guess it would be a lot more then 2k a month right? I guess the carrera 4s sounds the best then, will give it a test drive this weekend hopefully if they let me lol. Thanks =).
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the others about the necessary test drive.

If your dealer won't let you try a new one then there's plenty of slightly used 911's on other dealer lots. It's much easier to get lengthy test drives for used models on other lots.

Also, if you post your dealer here you might get a referral for a good salesperson from one of the forum members.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD my C2S and love it more than any other DD I have had. It's also a manual. You get used to it fast. PDK is nice, but I like to shift (with a clutch).

Also, no offense, but if you have 2k a month to spend on a lease I would assume you would know what kind of car it could get you. Hopefully you are legit, but this post sounds more like a boy dreamer to me.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
emmros
Instructor

I've never had any problems with test driving any porsches or just about any car for that matter. As long as you present yourself as a genuine buyer, I don't see why not. If they still give you a tough time, then move on to the next dealer. Good luck on the new buy!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

THe C2S with PDK sports chrono is the perfect DD. is has some GT3 in it and it screams.
its faster than my 996 GT3 and my 993 TT. go fer it.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At $2K, you can choose almost any car short of a Turbo/GT3/GT2 and those aren't renowned daily drivers.
I would remove the Turbo from your list of NOT renowned daily drivers. The Turbo is an excellent daily, year round driver.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

997.2 S PDK

or

Used 997 Turbo

you should be able to get both under $2K

Hell you should be able to finance both under $2K
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,542 Posts

I find it very strange when dealers claim that no test drives are available. If it's a car yet to be released or not in stock I guess there's no choice but even then there's often another close model that is already available.

Even the GTR, down here some Nissan dealers have them in stock and with Porsche if you're a serious buyer most times the dealer will let you take it overnight. Guess it comes down to how keen they are to do business.

As to a daily driver, while fully appreciating why many people say the PDK my personal view is that if you're comfortable with a manual in general then there is no real reason not to get one. The hill start assist is on the 997.2 manuals too so hill starts are a piece of cake now. If you prefer a self-shifter obviously the PDK is very very good.

All the every day things like bluetooth and navigation are available across the range so on that count a base C2 is just as good as a turbo.

Quick Reply: What model is the best Daily driver?