Sponsored by:

Reflections on my first year of 997 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reflections on my first year of 997 ownership

After exactly 12 months and about 18,000 miles driven on my 05 C2S cab (and my first Porsche), I have some observations:

- The 911 is a dream come true. Each time I turn the key it’s like an “event.” I’m grateful every day that I’m at the point where I can drive one every day. (This is especially true in summer!)
- 18K miles is a lot when you consider it was in the garage from November till March. Can you tell I enjoy it?
- Other Porsche drivers I encounter on the road fall into two categories: the 911/Boxster guys (and occasional Cayman) who acknowledge my wave or headlight flash with their own. And then there are the Cayenne drivers, who must not be aware that their brand has a legendary sibling (they ignore me completely).
- People notice it – everywhere.
- Most other drivers respect it and defer in various situations.
- Guys in pick-ups (or any driver with a baseball cap on) resent it.
- Not all dealers are created equal. I’ve had multiple experiences with two: the place I bought and another where I almost bought. The latter has been miles better in my view, and the former will never see me again.
- Most amusing (and polite) vehicle warning message: “Consider remaining range”
- Best upgrade so far: new tires
- Second-best upgrade: satellite radio
- Least useful upgrade: Bluetooth. Phone calls are hopeless with the top down at speed. But then, why be on the phone anyway?
- Absolute best day ever: my first HPDE at NH Motor Speedway.
- Most anticipated: 3 days at Watkins Glen in September.
- Scariest experience: getting caught in a surprise snowstorm and driving 90 miles to get home, never certain I’d get there in one piece.
- Least-expected service problem: rear main seal replacement.
- Most satisfying decision: to buy a CPO’ed car (repair was covered).
- Favorite gear: third. It can go from 35 to 90 in a handful of absolutely exhilarating seconds. And then there’s 4th…
- Best collective P-car experience: a weekend ramble to Cooperstown with 125 other cars.
- Best comment from a dealer: “Does your son know how lucky he is to have a father like you?” (after I let him drive my car 800 miles round trip to go to a friend’s wedding in PA).
- Unexpected christening: the pricey bottle of wine that smashed in my trunk when it came out of a shopping bag on the ride home during my first month. I have since learned to secure everything.
- Most useful lesson: the instant-on radar in upstate NY that caught me going 82 mph in a 65. Even the best radar detection is not infallible.
- Fastest speed on deserted public highway: 115 mph (only once).
- Good feeling: that I still have a head of hair to mess up with the top down.
- Thing I try not to think about: The 30% depreciation since I bought it.
- Ultimate realization: Until the day I’m no longer able, I will want to drive one of these cars.
- Greatest regret: none.

Gene
Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Nice commentary! I'm glad you enjoy your car. My first two I only drove an average of 100 to 200 miles/ month. When I sold the cars I realized that my cost per mile was ridiculously high. I'm in the market again and my next car will be my daily driver...which will average around 30,000 miles per year!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would add a late 20 year old and a 40 something year old trying to hit on me....I know it wasn't for looks or that I was endowed.
abe
Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Well I left this experience out because I was keeping it above board.

A few weeks after I bought my car I was leaving a local restaurant, dropping the top and buckling in when a very attractive blonde strode over to me in the parking lot and introduced herself (Rachel). We exchanged a few words, mostly her telling me I should come back to this particular place on Thursday nights. I actually did a few times after that but never saw her. Fast forward a year: I went in on a Thursday a few weeks ago and she was there. We talked, exchanged numbers, and have been dating ever since. She still hasn't gone for much of a ride in my car - but that matters no more. I am *very* grateful.

OK - back to car stuff.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one year review. I have also had my '08 S a little over a year and I agree with most of your comments but not all. Guys notice my car, especially teenagers, but most women don't notice ANY car. Also, I often wear a baseball cap (my Porsche baseball cap) when I drive, and I don't resent Porsches.

And there is one observation I need to add: Every kid in a tricked out Mitsubishi wants to race you.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice write up. I have to agree with you about the guys in the pick up trucks. Almost had one try to run me down. I had to leave him however, going 120 mph in self defense, just to get away from him. Other than that I have to concur that it's a real exhilaration to hear the sound of that flat six everytime I turn the key. Good luck in the years to come. Happy driving.

Jay
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Caughtacab911 wrote:
We talked, exchanged numbers, and have been dating ever since. She still hasn't gone for much of a ride in my car - but that matters no more. I am *very* grateful.
What did your wife say about that?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ does the person who drives the 08 Audi A3 3.2, S-Line read your posts on rennlist?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only 115 mph? Only once?

What? Your post did mention 4th gear... and there's 5th too, you know. :-)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 AM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
- Ultimate realization: Until the day I’m no longer able, I will want to drive one of these cars.
I, too, have arrived at this conclusion in the first 16 months of owning my first Pcar. Stopped by a dealership today and stared at a white GT3. If only my boys didn't enjoy riding in the back seat of my C2S so much . . . some day!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

very interesting read...thank you
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great post - Sorry to hear the RMS issue still pops up - had one in my 993, couldn't believe it. Sounds like you had a great year.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

"^ does the person who drives the 08 Audi A3 3.2, S-Line read your posts on rennlist?"

well, that car's in my name so I listed it that way. we've been separated (wife and I that is) since last year. Just so no one thinks I'm a low life...
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can relate to everything you said, except the blond part.

Good read.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Caughtacab911
I thought I was being funny! Alot of my jokes turn out this way (i'm a a$$hole) One time a friend of mine (nice looking beach girl) walked in, in a drop dead gorgeous dress. I said "Who Died?" She said "my Grandma" I shrinked off to the corner and didnt speak again that day.

Quick Reply: Reflections on my first year of 997 ownership