Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 997.2 engine difficult to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '03 Boxster S that was out of commission, at the dealer being repaired, for about about 3 weeks back in '04. The dealer gave me a Boxster loaner and PCNA provided me with 2 months (if memory serves...might have been 3) refund on my monthly payment and an extended warranty (6 years, 100K miles). They should DEFINITELY be doing something for you to make this right for you...now more than ever.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I had an '03 Boxster S that was out of commission, at the dealer being repaired, for about about 3 weeks back in '04. The dealer gave me a Boxster loaner and PCNA provided me with 2 months (if memory serves...might have been 3) refund on my monthly payment and an extended warranty (6 years, 100K miles). They should DEFINITELY be doing something for you to make this right for you...now more than ever.
I definitely want to shop at your dealer next time. What a service!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:55 PM
erayd8
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Today I got a nasty surprise when it took me three tries to start the engine. Each time the engine was cranking fast, so it's not a battery problem. But the first two times I cranked about 2 sec before stopping, thinking what went wrong. The third time I just let it crank, and after about 3 sec it finally sputter to life. This is so surprising to me because when I first got the car, it always amazed me how fast the engine caught when I started the engine, usually within 2 cranks.

I actually start seeing this slow start problem 2~3 days ago, always at cold start. After I got home today, I turned it off, let it sit for a min, and started up the engine. No problem there, just it takes longer to start, compared to when it was new.

My friend suggested it could be bad gas, although I always get Chevron 91. Has anyone with 997.2 experienced this problem?
My 997.2 S is doing exactly like yours. It has progressively gotten worse to the point where when I got it to start, it was sputtering. After a cold start and the car finally idles, i shut the car off for a few minutes and it fires up like normal. It only has a hard time starting from a cold start. Please let us know how you resolved this issue.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:56 PM
erayd8
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Today I got a nasty surprise when it took me three tries to start the engine. Each time the engine was cranking fast, so it's not a battery problem. But the first two times I cranked about 2 sec before stopping, thinking what went wrong. The third time I just let it crank, and after about 3 sec it finally sputters to life. This is so surprising to me because when I first got the car, it always amazed me how fast the engine caught when I started the engine, usually within 2 cranks.

I actually start seeing this slow start problem 2~3 days ago, always at cold start. After I got home today, I turned it off, let it sit for a min, and started up the engine. No problem there, just it takes longer to start, compared to when it was new.

My friend suggested it could be bad gas, although I always get Chevron 91. Has anyone with 997.2 experienced this problem?
My 997.2 S is doing exactly like yours. It has progressively gotten worse to the point where when I got it to start, it was sputtering. After a cold start and the car finally idles, I shut the car off for a few minutes and it fires up like normal. It only has a hard time starting from a cold start. Please let us know how you resolved this issue.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:17 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow old thread revival!

I had exactly the same and it's the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:17 PM
msequence
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok good to know - so far so good on my 2009 C4S, but no idea if it was replaced way back when as I couldn't get original service history.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine failed about two weeks ago! Same symptoms as everyone, turns over for a long time and then on other occasions it manages to start and then misfires.

Once it was up and running it was fine and it didn't matter if it was a cold start or was already warm..

Once fixed it starts perfectly.

Quick Reply: My 997.2 engine difficult to start