Sponsored by:

My 997.2 engine difficult to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
sorry for the delay to the OP... drove my car to beach house and been there last 2 days so havent been able to reply.. car started fine 5x in row now.. maybe mine was just a fluke.. hopefully yours was a fluke as well.. wish you the best of luck, HPFP does NOT sound like fun.
No fluke. If it happened once it will happen again and it may happen in less convenient circumstances... Have it checked.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i will wait for one more before i take in...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove the car today (Sunday) as well, and the car started up fine without any problems. So...still can't decide whether to take it in. I will probably call up the service advisor and asked for opinion, since if I can't reproduce it, how would they diagnose this problem? I don't think a fault code has been written?

Although going to limp mode is no fun, either, I would like to give a bit more evidence to the service advisor.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

My engine sometimes starts on the first go and other times takes a few seconds to "catch"

If the dreaded HPFP, I am not looking forward to taking it in.

Not all Porsche dealers are made equally.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I called my friend at Porsche Orlando which is a great no
nonsense dealer. He said not one car has come in yet with hpfp issue an one lazy start could be anything including maybe some weak fuel. Said keep an eye on it and let him know. He said if I were to get a few in a row then worry and call for tow
on them. Otherwise no worries.

I'm not going to take it in till more issues
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by afridi
... Not all Porsche dealers are made equally.
That is for sure. Only a few use their heads to diagnose problems, most need a dumb computer and often fail.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
IanDTP
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the same problem I had with my BMW 335i convertible. Long long starts, finally the HPFP died, and they replaced it the next day with a new one, happened last month. Fixed the problem instantly. It's a known problem with DFI engines.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:28 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Called the dealer today, admit that I have no problem for 3 straight days, and he advised that another fresh tank of gas and see what happens, since it's hard to diagnose a problem without seeing it directly. Keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Bad news...I found I am having trouble revving the engine above 4500rpm. I ran into this problem 3 times already, and in each instance I thought PDK was slipping, so the engine hesitated. Then I realize that my PDK is so new that it should not slip, and it could be caused by the fuel pump struggling to deliver fuel, therefore I am feeling the engineer stuttering. When I let off the gas, it's fine again.

Definitely I am going to take the car to the dealer.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Bad news...I found I am having trouble revving the engine above 4500rpm. I ran into this problem 3 times already, and in each instance I thought PDK was slipping, so the engine hesitated. Then I realize that my PDK is so new that it should not slip, and it could be caused by the fuel pump struggling to deliver fuel, therefore I am feeling the engineer stuttering. When I let off the gas, it's fine again.

I refer you to reply #16 on 8/2.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Sounds like you're in the limp mode and not the kind that Pfizer helps with.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear, if it is the HPFP then they order the parts and perform the repair.

What would be nice to know is when the engine takes unusually long to crank is there a fault or code stored so the dealer could diagnose it then? It would be better than having to wait for the limp home mode or in my car the reduced engine power warning which as others have noted could occur at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last edited by vexed; 08-06-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
I refer you to reply #16 on 8/2.
Yah...I know, it's not that I don't believe you, it is just that the dealer needs some proof.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:24 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by vexed
Sorry to hear, if it is the HPFP then they order the parts and perform the repair.

What would be nice to know is when the engine takes unusually wrong to crank is there a fault or code stored so the dealer could diagnose it then? It would be better than having to wait for the limp home mode or in my car the reduced engine power warning which as others have noted could occur at the wrong place at the wrong time.
True, there's no check engine light, so I assume no fault code has been recorded. I asked the dealer about this and they agree.

Now my car is fine in normal driving, but I do not want to push my luck and get into the limp mode. Since I ran into hesitation above 4500rpm 3 times already, I could just tell them to try it.

What worries me is the shortage of HPFP...i don't think my dealer gives out Porsche loaners. I have a Saturn SUV last time.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

True, there's no check engine light, so I assume no fault code has been recorded. I asked the dealer about this and they agree.

Now my car is fine in normal driving, but I do not want to push my luck and get into the limp mode. Since I ran into hesitation above 4500rpm 3 times already, I could just tell them to try it.

What worries me is the shortage of HPFP...i don't think my dealer gives out Porsche loaners. I have a Saturn SUV last time.
I did not get a loaner and if I needed one it was going to be through Enterprise. Your symptoms are different, I was not pushing hard when it went into limp mode since I am still observing the <4200 rpms break in.

I hope your dealer diagnoses it fast, has or can get the parts quickly and gets you back on the road in a day or two.

Quick Reply: My 997.2 engine difficult to start