Sponsored by:

Order VS On the lot

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered my Boxtser new and I was able to negotiate a similar discount to what they were offering for a car off the lot.

Best of both worlds.

Bottom line to remember, they don't want to see you walk of the lot and order from another dealer.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

I ordered my first Porsche, a Cayman S, then was prepared to order an 08 C2S when i found a car that matched my spec down to red seat belts. The only thing missing was sport exhaust, but the 10% discount i got at the time compensated for that non-essential option.

Fast forward: I just bought a 2010 GT3, picked it up yesterday, after having placed an order for an October build. The difference, I got a white versus black car, but white was my original choice anyway. I was able to get a car now, with $3K more options for 1K more than the car i ordered, but I am driving it now.

As far as I'm concerned if you are somewhat open minded you can work a better deal on an existing car. Worked for me.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 PM
hidalgo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought off the lot and and speced an order. I have to say I really enjoyed the process of specing my own car but man it really costs you! on the other hand I believe I am so happy with my ordered car that I will keep it longer so it may somewhat even out.

I currently am looking at the new GT3 and I think I will order ( unless I see one on the lot in GT Silver).
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am generally skeptical, but I really doubt people routinely lie about the price they pay. Imagine how pathetic someone would have to be to lie about something like that in order to look good in an anonymous internet forum!

I found the information posted on here useful and reliable when I went to buy. I even quoted prices to dealers that others reported on here and 6 speed. Dealers have the auction prices on used cars and have tons of information re new cars, so they should be able to point to evidence that a particular sale price is too low, if they believe someone has underreported the price they have paid. I never found that they did that.

My goal with a car purchase isn't to squeeze out every last dollar, but to avoid overpaying by 5-10%. You can certainly overpay by that much if you are ill-informed or you lack resolve to negotiate. Dealers are generally good at negotiating, and the Internet has certainly allowed a resourceful buyer to even the playing field. Even if you have a lot of money, you might have a distaste for paying too much for something. I'm like that. I have friends who admittedly wouldn't bother, however.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it all depends if you're going to keep the car for a long a time and how much disposable income you have. I ordered my 996 and plan to keep it a long time. If I was a guy who flipped cars every few years, I'd probably buy off the lot.

There is such a thing as dealer trades too. It usually only costs us a few hundred dollars to get a car from another local dealer.

If it's a Jetta TDI though and you have a clunker to trade in this week - fuggitaboutit.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if it makes you guys feel any better, I hate negotiating, I'm terrible at it, and I got absolutely cheated by my dealer when I bought my car. I'm positive you got a better deal than I did. Some people just aren't wired that way and I basically get screwed any time I buy or sell anything large.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid MSRP for my 996 too, but that was in 2001 - it's a new ball game out there now.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I think this thread proves that this is a personal choice! I am on my 4th car, and I have ordered them all. Porsche has one of the widest options lists available and I like getting the exact car I want. My car is my daily driver. For instance, I want a rear wiper (something about growing up in England) that many others here actively don't want. That said, I recognise that there are better deals around on cars in inventory. Although, to be clear, today you can negotiate good discounts on ordered cars.

Waiting is something else. View it as eager anticipation and part of the fun?
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I ordered in early November 2007 for a March 2008 delivery. At that point dealers had most of the power but I negotiated a bit. I'm sure I left a few percent on the table but it was an okay deal - I was satisfied/dealer was probably happy. Color was the reasoning for ordering. Because my 9 y.o and wife agreed to Speed Yellow I ordered b/c I didn't want many options (just manual, heated sports seats and Classic rims) and the only S.Y. 2S models in inventory (just about anywhere) were north of 100K w/ lots of options I didn't care about. (The options are great, it was just my choice to go bare bones.) I'm sure I could have gotten almost exactly what I wanted in silver or black off the lot (not that is anything wrong w/ those colors).
Old 08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
tkids
Pro

I would take it off the lot, if I could find a car that matches most of what I want. The shorter the transaction with the salespeople the better. By ordering you will be most likely frustrated somewhere along the way. And for Pete's sake if you do Euro Delivery, ugh!!! (Euro, if you qualify for the "case by case basis").
Old 08-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default I too have used pricing....

Originally Posted by 997, esq
I am generally skeptical, but I really doubt people routinely lie about the price they pay. Imagine how pathetic someone would have to be to lie about something like that in order to look good in an anonymous internet forum!

I found the information posted on here useful and reliable when I went to buy. I even quoted prices to dealers that others reported on here and 6 speed. Dealers have the auction prices on used cars and have tons of information re new cars, so they should be able to point to evidence that a particular sale price is too low, if they believe someone has underreported the price they have paid. I never found that they did that.

My goal with a car purchase isn't to squeeze out every last dollar, but to avoid overpaying by 5-10%. You can certainly overpay by that much if you are ill-informed or you lack resolve to negotiate. Dealers are generally good at negotiating, and the Internet has certainly allowed a resourceful buyer to even the playing field. Even if you have a lot of money, you might have a distaste for paying too much for something. I'm like that. I have friends who admittedly wouldn't bother, however.
info that others have posted at various locations.

Someone can always supply a story that a friend of a friend got same car for much less money story. The few times I've bothered to try to nail these down the same car wasn't the same car or the less money wasn't less money.

However, I do not believe for one second I got the best price ever when I have bought a car. But I've gotten a price that my research and my faith in my buying skills has helped me get. I'm happy. If dealer sold me car he's got to be happy. I just don't want to leave him deliriously happy, giddy, jumping for joy happy, you know what I mean?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I was going to order a 2010 GT3 and also thought I would do Euro delivery (which they have now suspended) and was even thinking about doing paint to sample, one of the coolest options available. But I finally decided to go for a TT. I wanted black, my dealer had one black and one basalt. Black one did not have adaptive seats (which were a "must have") but the basalt one did, along with short shifter, thicker leather steering wheel, PCCB's, and the only two options I may have wanted that it didn't have were very easy things to add later at no additional cost (versus ordering). I think it only had one option I would not have ordered (CD changer). Bottom line, I got virtually everything I wanted (I am glad I went with basalt instead of pure black), I got a great deal on an inventory car, and I got instant gratification.

But ... I still hope to order something with paint to sample that is very special to me sometime in the future (and I would still like to do a Euro delivery just once).

BTW, I did order my wife's new 09 Cayenne S to my specs, and it is unlikely I ever would have found some of her special requests on the lot.
Basalt Black is a very nice color. I was tempted by several basalt black new nad used cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 PM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I have owned quite a few, and just about every one was purchased off the lot. I guess I was never patient enough to wait for a car (the wait on the Ferrari's I speced out killed me), and I have never left any of them stock so I just either added or took away what I did or did not want. I am now changing my interior to all leather, have all the parts except the dash board. I will admit, I am a different type of Porsche owner, and I have never cared about warranties, or what my cars were worth when I was done with them, though they all found new homes when the time came for them to go. I am though, going to order the Pana, and have it built to my spec, I am in no rush for this car and I want this one a certain way. I think most owners would say regardless of whether they ordered the car or bought it off the lot, they wish they had or did not have one option or two.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM
savantauto
Instructor

I am a huge fan of the custom order. It is worth the extra wait time and added cost for the "qualitative value" I get from the whole process. My 03 Mini Cooper S, 05 987, 07 997 and 08 Volvo XC70 (and hopefully in the next 12 months a 997.2TT) have been/ will be a factory order.

My boss has done several BMW ED vehicles and they even had his last name printed on the window sticker. Awesome.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 Cayenne V6, 6 speed manual was a dealer trade, eqipped as desired and an ok price. Six months pater, my 06 Cayenne Turbo was a dealer trade, equipped as desired with a great price. Went to check out a Cayman S Sport leftover on the lot and fell in love with a C4S, a leftover as well, and luckily... equipped as I would have done for the most part and priced right. Great dealer assistance all the way since my first purchase. I'll probably add Sport Exhaust to the C4S but all in all I'm pretty excited about picking it up. I've had great luck and help from my dealer with my vehicles to date though I suspect at some point I'll order one and opt for european delivery since I lived there for about 9 years and would like to get back. I sometimes think that I would go crazy if it were up to me to build the car. I also enjoy the pursuit of the existing model search, deals, etc...

Quick Reply: Order VS On the lot