Cabriolet and luggage

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet and luggage

Each time I have to fly I go thru the same dilemma of wanting to drive the cab to the airport but each time reject the idea because of the lack of luggage space. However today turned out to be my lucky day. Shortly after arriving in LA, I saw a sight for sore eyes.....Along La Cienega Blvd, comes a C2 cab, top down with Ralph Lauren luggage sticking up from the back seat. I was across the street where it looked as if there were four or five pieces going in every direction but flat. At that moment I knew my dilemma was over, the cab was coming to the airport with me from now on. I don't know that LA driver but my hat is off to him -
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OK...you win for the most "metrosexual" post of 2009.....
Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok ok - scratch the luggage brand, I assumed it was his wife's or girls luggage...lol
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
leneuromancer
Advanced

i see two other cars in your sig I would rather leave in a cramped airport parking for days on end (without my supervision)
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have thought about that color matched hard sided Porsche fitted luggage designed for the trunk. But I rejected it as too metrosexual. It might make more sense than the RL luggage with the top down though. And I bet it is the best use of the space available.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

I was taking a friend to the airport a year or so ago and her suitcase was massive. Without a cabiolet there would be no way it could get into the car. (No way for a coupe). I just dropped the top, stuck it on the rear shelf, and then closed back up the top. Viola! Of course, it wasn't this fancy designed crap...

Here's my luggage solution for the twisties...
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2009, 10:43 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Of course, it wasn't this fancy designed crap...
You mean like the Billingham?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

If I only had one car, the porsche, I would rent a car to park at the airport. I would take a taxi or limo or walk, or the train, or a bus, or have a friend drive me, but there is no way I would ever leave my 911 in an airport parking garage. Not under threat or coercion of any kind. Regardless of the luggage brand.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leneuromancer
i see two other cars in your sig I would rather leave in a cramped airport parking for days on end (without my supervision)
I never leave any of my cars at the airport -my dilemma was driving the cab to the airport with the luggage........
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I was taking a friend to the airport a year or so ago and her suitcase was massive. Without a cabiolet there would be no way it could get into the car. (No way for a coupe). I just dropped the top, stuck it on the rear shelf, and then closed back up the top. Viola! Of course, it wasn't this fancy designed crap...

Here's my luggage solution for the twisties...
Taking the wind screen out works wonders - I can make it fit (no designer stuff)- My Boxster friends still brag how much of their luggage they can pack for a road trip
Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I leave my car at the airport all of the time...that is what insurance is for gents. I also get it dirty, and then wash it, and then drive it, and then get it dirty again. Its amazing, but it still runs and looks great. Rent a car to go to the airport....ha...that kills me.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
I leave my car at the airport all of the time...that is what insurance is for gents. I also get it dirty, and then wash it, and then drive it, and then get it dirty again. Its amazing, but it still runs and looks great. Rent a car to go to the airport....ha...that kills me.
I agree entirely.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Each time I have to fly I go thru the same dilemma of wanting to drive the cab to the airport but each time reject the idea because of the lack of luggage space. However today turned out to be my lucky day. Shortly after arriving in LA, I saw a sight for sore eyes.....Along La Cienega Blvd, comes a C2 cab, top down with Ralph Lauren luggage sticking up from the back seat. I was across the street where it looked as if there were four or five pieces going in every direction but flat. At that moment I knew my dilemma was over, the cab was coming to the airport with me from now on. I don't know that LA driver but my hat is off to him -
Noticing the brand of luggage....That reminds me of Patrick Bateman
in "American Psycho" when he is asked by Louis what kind of bag he is carrying
(with the dead body of Paul Allen inside)....the bag is "John Paul gaultier."
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by cole328
Terrific idea. Well thought out.

Remember that being dirty is not the same as being damaged. Washing the car is not the same as bodywork. The two concepts are remarkably different. What has enjoying driving the car got to do with leaving it at the airport to sit unattended while you are hundreds of miles away??

That said, I agree that nothing beats long discussions and arguments with an insurance agent, or paying out the deductible for a door ding, or scratch, waiting the couple of weeks while the body shop finishes their business, or watching your insurance premiums rise through no fault of your own, other than you were dumb enough to park the car at the airport.

Insurance is for accidents. Getting your car dinged at the airport is no accident.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I hear you, but seriously...a) when was the last time that your car was "door dinged" at an airport, and b) why would a porsche be more susceptible than any other car? In fact, I don't think I have ever had a door ding on any of my cars...never...ever...not never. Heck, I love it so much I take it to costco, I take it to the gym, I take it out in the rain and use the wipers, I get "bugs" on the hood and leave them there for a week, and then relish the enjoyment of washing it on a saturday. If I didn't, however, who cares? My clothes and shoes are clean,and my hair is washed...if my "car" is dirty, or heaven forbid, a paint chip in the hood......big whoops.

I guess it is all obvious personal preference. I got the car to drive, enjoy and then replace...it is a machine. It is not a priceless work of art, or something from an alien culture that cannot be replaced or one of my kids. Sure, I love it as much as the rest of you, but you know what, there will always be something better that I will covet. It's a car, a nice car, but a car plain and simple....people that treat it like some forbidden fruit just make me laugh is all.

My humble .02....I think many of my fellow rennlisters simply need to have one more rum and coke, and then perhaps, just maybe, smoke a nice doobie and reeeeeeelax.....

Quick Reply: Cabriolet and luggage