Sponsored by:

What did you guys decide on Break in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What did you guys decide on Break in?

There are two schools of thought on this
A. 2400 miles no fast starts dont get it over 4000 rpms
b. Drive it like you stole it from the beginning It was broke in at the factory.

What are we supposed to do with the 09 C2S? 3.8 liter
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it easy for the first 500 miles, then go for it. In reality when was the last time you test drove a sports car and didn't go a little crazy.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always done somewhere between the two, gradually pushing more towards your option B as the break-in period comes to a close. I may have misunderstood but I'd heard that 997's sold in Europe don't have the break in period specified in the manual - and if this is right, it confirms the suspicion that the North American break in period may be more of an attempt to limit early warranty claims rather for any real engineering reason. They all come off the same production line after all.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:10 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With modern electronics I think it would be very unwise indeed not to follow PCNA's recommended procedure, regardless of whether it is appropriate from an engineering standpoint.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Being a newcomer to Porsche, I read a lot of the information in this forum and other like it. I opted for A. Added 1.5 quarts oil total in the first 4500 miles. Had the oil changed at the dealership at 4500 miles. Now at 6900 miles and haven't added a drop since the oil change. Electronic gauge still shows full (not overfull).

My 2 cents
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Like you guys said with the modern ECU they probably know everything you did or do
I test drove the one I bought and I didnt really take it easy on it. We even did one launch under
launch control.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default My advice is to follow the OM guidelines regarding break in. The....

Originally Posted by OldGuy
There are two schools of thought on this
A. 2400 miles no fast starts dont get it over 4000 rpms
b. Drive it like you stole it from the beginning It was broke in at the factory.

What are we supposed to do with the 09 C2S? 3.8 liter
only time you should drive a new car like you stole it is if you stole it.

Further based on my experience I'd advise you change the engine oil/filter early. I can post a pic showing the contents of the oil of my 08 Cayman S at 750 miles. Lots of metal glitter in oil. This metal debris/particles of course blocked by filter but the filter can become full and then this oil and all oil unfiltered oil is then routed to the engine.

At 2000 miles I'd change oil/filter again and then start upping the upper rpm limit to which you take the engine.

I do not like to hear/see someone at 2000 miles suddenly start hammering on engine. The break in process is not yet complete.

Lab and field tests by automakers have found modern engines continue to break in thousands of miles, up to and over 10,000 miles.

I know the engines are run on a dyno at factory. This completes initial break in, mainly the rings and camshaft lobes and zero-lash adjusters, and gives teh factory engine technician a chance to ensure engine meets some minimum performance numbers and is suitable for installation into a car on the assembly line but it does not mean the engine is fully broken in

As for what break in guidelines are recommended and used in Germany, I do not care. My info is German drivers a bit harder on their cars and tend to dispose of them more frequently so if car thrashed from new no big deal.

Driving conditions in USA generally more severe too. More idling, slower speeds, driving in traffic, higher ambient temperatures, more particulate matter in the air.

I followed the above with my 02 Boxster and engine now has over 222K miles and still runs great and uses less than 1/2 quart of oil between its 5000 mile oil/filter services. And engine sees high rpms and gets used/driven daily in a variety of conditions. No babying this car. But no abusing it either.

My 03 Turbo got an oil/filter service just a few days after I bougtht it in mid-June this year -- the last one last October -- and will of course receive teh same 5000 oil/filter servicing schedule my Boxster (and other cars) have received, continue to receive.

Keep all records of the car's service so when (if) you go to sell car you can show you gave the car exceptional care. This can make a difference in how fast you sell the car and what you receive for it. Generally experts advise to buy a car from a fan of the car who can show he has provided the car with loving care.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have my own two schools of thought:

1 - Patience is a virtue.
2 - Porsche knows more about the car than I do.

One more decent road trip and I'll be out of the penalty box.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove chill speeds for ~ 2400 miles changed oil and then been driving hard ever since (22K miles now)
Old 07-22-2009, 12:29 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with the break in period. I see no drawback to doing it by the factory recommendation.

But I've always been perplexed at people who change their engine oil at a 1000 or 2000 miles "to get the metal filing out" and yet ignore the transmission fluid at the same time.

I don't do either but, at least, I'm consistent.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

I know the engines are run on a dyno at factory. This completes initial break in, mainly the rings and camshaft lobes and zero-lash adjusters, and gives teh factory engine technician a chance to ensure engine meets some minimum performance numbers and is suitable for installation into a car on the assembly line but it does not mean the engine is fully broken in

That use to be the case...but NO longer
Now 99% of engines are COLD tested, 1% are HOT tested.

Since this is the case I believe that a break-in regimen closer to the manual
recommendations would be advised.

Do a road trip!!!
All GT engines are HOT tested.

This info comes from a factory tour two weeks ago.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones

Do a road trip!!!

I'd heard the same thing. Too bad
Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by boolala
I completely agree with the break in period. I see no drawback to doing it by the factory recommendation.

But I've always been perplexed at people who change their engine oil at a 1000 or 2000 miles "to get the metal filing out" and yet ignore the transmission fluid at the same time.

I don't do either but, at least, I'm consistent.
Engines shed lots more metal and the oil has to contend with contamination from combustion.

Transmissions do shed metal, but not nearly as much.

I do an early transmission fluid change, though not as early as the oil change.

Even though Turbo only has 12K miles on it I'll have the Turbo's tranny/diff fluids changed while car in the shop being repaired from its collision with a mule deer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default "99& of engines are COLD tested, 1% are HOT tested"...

Originally Posted by MJones

Do a road trip!!!

Very interesting info and makes following a proper break in *with* an early oil change even more critical to ensuring the longevity of a new engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have my manual handy, but I thought it said to stay below 4200 RPM the first 2K miles. I'll admit I've blipped a little past 4200 a few times when I had the Sport button on, but I think we'll do just fine. I'm up to ~1600 miles.

BTW, for those in the SF Bay Area, I received a mailer from Stevens Creek Porsche (where I bought my car) promoting a $90 oil change special. Don't know if it only applies to people who bought cars from them, but I plan on taking advantage of it once I get to a few more miles under my belt. Yes I know its easy to change the oil, but at this price point I'd rather spend my weekend time with my kids in the car, not under it. Stevens Creek also sent me a "discount card" good for 15% off parts and services up to $500. I'm thinking more about the PSE....

Quick Reply: What did you guys decide on Break in?