Sponsored by:

Please Help..underhood cable damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You should give the rodents something more attractive to go after (and less work). Suggest you set many baited traps or get yourselves a couple of starving cats...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 AM
memo997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new cable should be about $47 + what ever your dealer marks it up. Than spend the other $250 to clean up the invaders :-)
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

One of my friends had the exact same thing happen to his 2001 Boxster. On this re-design Porsche must have moved the mouse magnet from under the shroud above the engine mounted oil cooler on the aircooled 911 to the cabin filter box.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:24 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
ltc- PM sent.

also, good stuff in your post, thank you very much! I am going to try that copper tape.

MJones- foil to keep the whiskered, beady eyed ones from nesting down in the cabin air intake plenum while I effect repairs :-) Didn't know anything else to use that the little bastards wouldn't eat or remove in the meantime.

Edgy- lol. Very funny! :-) Yes it is a first for me for rodent damage.

Adias- I, and my car, moved into a new house in March. It has a garage. My 997 lives in the garage. I drive my 997 2-3 days per week.

Will someone be kind enough to post a list of the various health maladies that may not be joked around with? Prostatitis? Aneurysm? Cauliflower ear? Gosh folks, no harm meant on this side. I just thought being eaten from the inside, as my car was, was analogous to the health condition of which we should not speak. No ill will or callousness intended.

Peace!
MothBalls are an effective deterrent....
Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the copper tape ltc was kind enough to link to, and explain use of, and am going to try that. Dealership advised today the antenna wire, by itself, is *not* listed as an available part. The harness however is...and it costs $8000.

My guess is that mouse nest was built some months ago, but with no outer clues, I had no idea until the NAV failure provoked me to dig around. It is all sealed under covers up there you know?

Been feeding my Cayenne (which co-habitates in the same garage as the 911) some dusty air the past month, so this AM I pulled the plastic beauty panels around the engine compartment off so as to access the air filters. While no nests, there *was* chew marks and insulation missing from a location on the firewall.

So I bought more traps at Wal-Mart today. This AM caught two mice in traps under the 911. If I can keep the killing pressure on, perhaps I can end the Porsche attack.

Will also contact a professional regarding a way to repel the critters outright. Hey, if mothballs work, that would be great!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM
memo997
Intermediate

try 997.612.030.75 - connecting line antenna control part. That is the connecting line between GPS antenna and PCM. It's not part of any wiring harness nor is there any other line between GPS antenna and PCM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Ok, repair completed per LTC suggestion. (memo997- just saw your post, so will hold idea in reserve if needed, thank you!!).

Used the copper tape wrap. Verdict- success. Many thanks for a high-tech repair suggestion.

**Important Secret Discovery** you all will want to consider.

During the repair/cleaning process I removed the cabin air filter, and the plastic tray it mounts in. There is a rubber gasket that seals this tray to the air plenum entering the car passenger compartment. This gasket was folded over on itself, allowing incoming air to to bypass the $100, carbon impregnated cabin air filter.

It was incorrectly installed at the factory. No doubt after after a multi-German beer lunch, as I hear they enjoy over there. See the exploded diagram attached. The gasket is part "3" on the diagram, passenger side.

If you have reason to believe you may have the same problem (air in cabin does not seem to be filtered), you might want to check this gasket.

In any event, everything is finally back together and the NAV once again knows where it is. *Whew* A distasteful, but valuable learning experience!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
exploded cowling view.pdf (53.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Ok, repair completed per LTC suggestion. (memo997- just saw your post, so will hold idea in reserve if needed, thank you!!).

Used the copper tape wrap. Verdict- success. Many thanks for a high-tech repair suggestion.

**Important Secret Discovery** you all will want to consider.

During the repair/cleaning process I removed the cabin air filter, and the plastic tray it mounts in. There is a rubber gasket that seals this tray to the air plenum entering the car passenger compartment. This gasket was folded over on itself, allowing incoming air to to bypass the $100, carbon impregnated cabin air filter.

It was incorrectly installed at the factory. No doubt after after a multi-German beer lunch, as I hear they enjoy over there. See the exploded diagram attached. The gasket is part "3" on the diagram, passenger side.

If you have reason to believe you may have the same problem (air in cabin does not seem to be filtered), you might want to check this gasket.

In any event, everything is finally back together and the NAV once again knows where it is. *Whew* A distasteful, but valuable learning experience!
Would your comprehensive auto insurance or homeowner's insurance cover something like this??
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

... **Important Secret Discovery** you all will want to consider.

I'm glad you repaired the damage successfully.

Re the cabin air filter gasket... is that gasket readily visible when the cabin air filter is changed? or did you have to dig deeper to find it?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
I'm glad you repaired the damage successfully.

Re the cabin air filter gasket... is that gasket readily visible when the cabin air filter is changed? or did you have to dig deeper to find it?
On my car it was not visible until removal of the plastic cabin air filter tray.

It is possible, with the filter removed, if you very carefully examine the area between the plastic tray and firewall, you might be able to determine if it is not installed correctly. You would see this black, foam rubber gasket to be intruding into the plenum area or even perhaps affecting the action of the air recirculation control flap, which is right at the same spot.

Hot tip: I think you could get the cabin air filter removed w/o removing the cowling, but you should remove the thin, flexible metal bracket ("25" in exploded view) that helps secure the black plastic cowling to the firewall area. Only four screws that you can use a hex wrench to loosen/remove (or maybe a Torx too). Remove bottom two screws, only loosen top two.

The bracket if not removed blocks removal of the cabin air filter.

The tray itself is secured by three phillips screws. You will need to detach the two hood supports temporarily and raise the hood back to get access to the screw most toward the passenger side. Or have a very exact length screwdriver.

The metal clips that secure the ball ends to the hood supports pop right in/out so no big deal to do all this.

Probably worthwhile to check and it is not terribly hard to get to.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Would your comprehensive auto insurance or homeowner's insurance cover something like this??
For sure.

BUT

I carry high deductibles as I personally believe in saving insurance for catastrophes. For the great majority of people it works out far better financially in the long run to do this. And keeps me insurable and from getting my rates jacked. My rates with State Farm are miniscule considering the value of the property insured.

All in all I only wound up spending ~$100 on an OE carbon cabin air filter, and then ~$75 for the tray/gasket. Oh- and $12 for the copper tape. So just not worth the hassle and potential future ramifications to file an insurance claim.

I did all the work myself (easy, and I learned about my car).

If the harness needed replacing, then of course insurance would have picked up the tab, for sure. That would have been $$$$$ to repair. And I would have been very sad

But everything worked out ok.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 PM
fxhomie
Advanced

All it takes is a tiny opening for mice (or any rodent) to access a garage. Have a prof. check things out.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

For sure.

BUT

I carry high deductibles as I personally believe in saving insurance for catastrophes. For the great majority of people it works out far better financially in the long run to do this. And keeps me insurable and from getting my rates jacked. My rates with State Farm are miniscule considering the value of the property insured.

All in all I only wound up spending ~$100 on an OE carbon cabin air filter, and then ~$75 for the tray/gasket. Oh- and $12 for the copper tape. So just not worth the hassle and potential future ramifications to file an insurance claim.

I did all the work myself (easy, and I learned about my car).

If the harness needed replacing, then of course insurance would have picked up the tab, for sure. That would have been $$$$$ to repair. And I would have been very sad

But everything worked out ok.
Glad it all worked out for you - I was thinking of the $8K harness.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
FUN001
1st Gear

Default Mice feeding on electrical wires

Driving over the week end, the check engine warning appeared followed by "failure of engine compartment blower" both coupled with a total lack of power above 4000 RPM; I had the car checked by the dealer to discover that mice had been partying on the electrical wires which necessitated engine removal to access and replace all bitten wires! mice have some eclectic taste around!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

you really freaked me out with this guys, I think I saw mice other day in my garage, got car out and inspected all I could in the frunk and engine compartments, seems like no damage but hell, if it is a war of mice against p-cars, I better double check... mouse traps are due now.

Quick Reply: Please Help..underhood cable damage