Sponsored by:

Porsche sales had me, again

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Wow-sorry to hear but very happy PFS hasn't referred you to a debt collector. Have you considered getting a refund from the car dealer for the portion they were to send to PFS and paying PFS yourself to protect your credit rating?
Exactly - I'd be on the phone with the dealer, PCNA, and PFS until somebody cries "uncle". Not so much about the money, but the principle of it - just ain't right.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boolala
Then before signing any contract I would ask the dealer to give me the contract to thoroughly review (at least overnight). Sure this sounds like 20/20 hindsight but it sounds like good advice for the future if the law does not give one any other recourse.

And people are becoming defensive when autodealers are dissed. This stuff angers me no end.

There was a case in Florida where a dealership was indicted for swindling their customers for (get this) adding instead of subtracting the value of their trade in to the cap cost.

Folks if you're going to lease a car you have an obligation to yourself to understand every item in that contract and to go over it with the finance manger. Check their math, even if it takes 5 hours of their time. Calculate the monthly payment based upon the term, agreed upon selling price, cap cost reduction and money factor. If it doesn't agree with what the contract says then ask them to explain the discrepancy.

Leasing is fraught with fraud and and hazard because people don't understand the basic principles behind it and there are more ways to hide spurious charges.
Well, this is not my first lease. I have leased 4 cars from BMW and Lexus, and I had no problem with it. My lease factor on my first Porsche was high, but that was it. I think lease itself is not difficult, it is the dealer that you need to watch out.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by jcnesq
In Calif, I don't think there is any right to back out (other than rescinding the contract based on fraud, e.g lawsuit time.

I think the OP got scammed. It's one thing to haggle over price and feel you got overcharged - no issue there, it's a free market. But this dealer took advantage of a known benefit available from a third party(PFS) without honest disclosure, not to mention they were dishonestly dragging their heals paying off what they agreed.
I think a contract can be voided if it's not negotiated in good faith (fraud and scams), although I can't cite the law to back this up, and I probably need more proof than just verbal agreement to back me up in court.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Wow-sorry to hear but very happy PFS hasn't referred you to a debt collector. Have you considered getting a refund from the car dealer for the portion they were to send to PFS and paying PFS yourself to protect your credit rating?
Well, my salesman said he has sent this up to the sales manager to find out what happened, and I will contact them again on Monday. But I like your idea of getting the money from the dealer and paying PFS myself since this way I would be in control of the whole situation. PFS is aware of this situation, and they are willing to give me some time to resolve this, so I will give the dealer some more time. It might be a genuine human error (although IMHO it is a very big one...)
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Well, my salesman said he has sent this up to the sales manager to find out what happened, and I will contact them again on Monday. But I like your idea of getting the money from the dealer and paying PFS myself since this way I would be in control of the whole situation. PFS is aware of this situation, and they are willing to give me some time to resolve this, so I will give the dealer some more time. It might be a genuine human error (although IMHO it is a very big one...)
Good deal - Good luck!
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
boolala
Race Car

I guess that the dealer wanted to be sure, before they took ownership of the vehicle, that there were basically no liens on the car. That's reasonable. Getting a check from you to guarantee that it could not be repossessed for failure to pay the lease (or forcing them to cough up 5 months of payments) seems like a reasonable thing to do if they didn't trust (know) you to pay PFS. 5 months is the most they could have been out of on this deal had you not kept up your end of the bargain.

What is inexplicable is their failure to pay PFS in a timely matter. If your credit score suffers as a result of this (or you end up paying PFS yourself) then I would think that you would have recourse to the courts for damages.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:38 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I guess that the dealer wanted to be sure, before they took ownership of the vehicle, that there were basically no liens on the car. That's reasonable. Getting a check from you to guarantee that it could not be repossessed for failure to pay the lease (or forcing them to cough up 5 months of payments) seems like a reasonable thing to do if they didn't trust (know) you to pay PFS. 5 months is the most they could have been out of on this deal had you not kept up your end of the bargain.

What is inexplicable is their failure to pay PFS in a timely matter. If your credit score suffers as a result of this (or you end up paying PFS yourself) then I would think that you would have recourse to the courts for damages.
Doesn't seem reasonable to me - the dealership has nothing to do with the lease at all and they don't take ownership of a lease turn in - they just process it as a service to PFS. That they got in the middle of it at all seems like a scam to me.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Boolala, I agree with Stevepow that it's more like a scam. The dealer is supposed to pay PFS just 3 months, not 5 months, because the First Mile program is supposed to forgive 3 of my 6 months left in my lease. I have verified this with PFS. Since the dealer neglected to tell me this fact at that time, and made a faux offer of paying for 1 month, I gave them 5 months of payment in cash.

Now all I am asking of them is to pay off my prior lease, because it's their promise, and without it I would not have signed the paper.

Quick Reply: Porsche sales had me, again