Sponsored by:

Porsche sales had me, again

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Porsche sales had me, again

I just found out that the First Miles program back in May includes forgiving 3 months of lease if you have a prior leased car. When I was negotiating for my current 2009 C2S cab, I had 6 months of lease left on my 2007. I talked to both Stevens Creek Porsche and Fremont Porsche, and none of them mentioned that this fact. They all insisted that I pay it off all 6 months myself to return the lease, even though I only have to make 3 payments to Porsche Financial Service to end the lease early, if I lease a new Porsche, which I did.

I went with Fremont Porsche because they eventually agreed to pay 1 month on my 2007 in order for me to close the deal. Now I knew that I actually overpaid by 2 months.

How I found out this? Porsche Financial Service did not receive the 3 months of payment, and is asking me to pay it. Fremont Porsche promised to take care of this, and I hope they do so quickly.

/Rant ON
What is with Porsche sales? When I leased my first Porsche in 2007, I didn't check the lease factor carefully at signing time and found out that I had a 9% rate! Now I was really careful with the least factor on the second car, but still got taken by this. I talked to the lady at Porsche Financial Service, and she agreed with me that it's wrong for the dealer to hide the First Mile fact from me.

Doesn't Porsche needs more sales? Do they think having the dealer sales pulling this kind of trick will increase sales? I gave props to Fremont Porsche after I got my C2S cab on this forum. Now I am taking it back.
/Rant OFF

If I decide to get another Porsche, I will treat the sales like used car salesman. Now I understand why another forum participant, ds2k1, once told me he does not like deal with Porsche sales. I learned my lesson as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

They are car salesman,not Porsche salesmen.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch - nothing you can do now?

I found out a long time ago to never mix an existing car deal (lease trade sell) with a new deal. They always find a way to bury something in there from the existing deal to get you (like sneaking the security deposit from the old lease, that you should get back, into the new deal and then you never see it ).
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by stevepow
Ouch - nothing you can do now?

I found out a long time ago to never mix an existing car deal (lease trade sell) with a new deal. They always find a way to bury something in there from the existing deal to get you (like sneaking the security deposit from the old lease, that you should get back, into the new deal and then you never see it ).
Well, I understand this, so I negotiated on the new car first, then worked on the old car. Since obligation on the old car is to Porsche Financial Services, I thought there's nothing the dealer can do. I SHOULD have called Porsche Financial Services, in hindsight. I just don't like feeling this, again, that I didn't get the deal I thought I did. But now I am feeling calmer, I thought of the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that is terrible! Your salesperson should have told you that. I believe 'peterm' mentioned he got that lease deal on his car. I knew that there was a cash rebate if you paid yourself on my car when I bought it in May, but I wnet through Porsche financial services for the financing, so I did not qualify for the rebate. We worked it out both ways, financing through chase at a much higher interest rate or going through PFS at the 2.9. It worked out better for me to go through PFS. I have to note that Chris was upfront on the deal making and he even worked out all of the scenarios before presenting my offer.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget to tell Fremont P about this thread. I bought mine from Niello in your area and had good experience. I got tired of So Cal attitude and I was lucky at the time to have a good sales man who did not bs me.
abe
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I still think you should look at the paper work to see where that money went. If it is not in the paper work and disclosed as part of the transaction on the new lease, I don't see how they cannot owe that back to you. I'd be raising hell over it - with them and PFS both. If that was a PFS/PCNA deal, then it was not the dealer's money to take.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:15 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by stevepow
I still think you should look at the paper work to see where that money went. If it is not in the paper work and disclosed as part of the transaction on the new lease, I don't see how they cannot owe that back to you. I'd be raising hell over it - with them and PFS both. If that was a PFS/PCNA deal, then it was not the dealer's money to take.
Well, originally I was going to write a check to PFS for the remainder of my lease payment, then as I was prepared to sign the paper work, they said it's better that I gave them the money and they will "take care" of it. Such a trusting person I was, I agreed to it as it did not change my cash payment and monthly payment. Now I know why they did it.

The funny thing is, if they did not screwed up the payment to PFS, I would never have found out. Now I can't raise hell yet because I am still waiting for them to pay PFS for my last lease, which is almost 2 months overdue. It's my name on the account, not the dealer. Sucks.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by abe
Don't forget to tell Fremont P about this thread. I bought mine from Niello in your area and had good experience. I got tired of So Cal attitude and I was lucky at the time to have a good sales man who did not bs me.
abe
I've bought and sold a few cars using Neillo up near Sacramento, every experience was very positive. Got my last one from them sight unseen, had never seen the car til the delivery fellow rolled it out of the trailer.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

You may want to talk to PFS since the dealer gets nothing from PFS for turning your car in early. The break on the lease goes right to the existing PFS customer not to the dealer. I have a feeling we're missing part of the story somewhere. There is no way a dealer could take in some of your payments and not forward them to PFS without telling you.

On the earlier issue if they quoted you one money factor on a lease and then charged you another you simply should have gone right to them and called them on the carpet and found out what the issue was.

In general if you're a local buyer what good does it do a dealer to screw you? Statistically a Porsche / Audi customer has a 19 year 6 car lifecycle with their dealer. The people who own our dealer are big time into statistics and those numbers were compiled of a long time with a huge sample size. If the dealer screws you on a lease for a grand or two then he has ZERO shot at getting you to do business again when the lease is up.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Survey
Old 07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Done without a "survey"
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trader...its funny... talk about local dealers screwing the local customer...I live in a suburb of washington dc. There is a VERY large (largest maybe on east coast interms of volume...or so they say) Mercedes dealership. It is walking distance to my house (and my father inlaws apt...more on that in a sec). In 2006, I traded my 2002 986 in for an E350 4matic wagon (my fourth MB btw). They hammered me on trade (lots of body work) but gave me a good sales price on the car and quoted me a MF for the lease that was buy rate. The paper work was presented on the MB lease contract which does not state MF, but only MSRP, Sales price, Monthly payment, finance charges etc. I did not have my laptop and did not have a reverse lease calculator on my phone, unlike now. I signed the deal and when i got home plugged in the numberrs because something did not look right. I then realized that the prior to quoting me the monthly, despite they told me that they where using Buy rate, they had in fact marked the MF up from .00315 to .00375......

When i went to pick up the car the next day, i brought this up to the saleman who passed me off to finance guy who said "hey man, not my problem. You signed it" . I walked in to the general managers office and his response was arrogant and curt. He said to me, "do you think i car about this or you not coming back here for another car...i have all the embassy contracts and am moving over 350 cars month. Guess what, I never stepped back in to the dealer. My father in law who was a loyal MB cliet for 30 years and had purchased 8 cars from him never went back, and neither did all of his golfing buddies. All of my physician friends have boycotted them as well. I can only imagine how much true profit was lost because they held back 1.5% or so for themselves.

Since then, the salesman and finance guys have both lost their jobs and the dealership sales are down 45% from last year.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by Trader220
You may want to talk to PFS since the dealer gets nothing from PFS for turning your car in early. The break on the lease goes right to the existing PFS customer not to the dealer. I have a feeling we're missing part of the story somewhere. There is no way a dealer could take in some of your payments and not forward them to PFS without telling you.

On the earlier issue if they quoted you one money factor on a lease and then charged you another you simply should have gone right to them and called them on the carpet and found out what the issue was.

In general if you're a local buyer what good does it do a dealer to screw you? Statistically a Porsche / Audi customer has a 19 year 6 car lifecycle with their dealer. The people who own our dealer are big time into statistics and those numbers were compiled of a long time with a huge sample size. If the dealer screws you on a lease for a grand or two then he has ZERO shot at getting you to do business again when the lease is up.
Well, the second part of my story is that the dealer still has NOT paid off the lease on my returned car, which I view as more urgent than the 3 months break on my last lease. I already went to the dealer personally yesterday, only found only the finance guy around, and he said he will take care of it. But when I called PSF at noon today, they still have not heard from the dealer.

As for the 3 months break on my first lease, you are asking if I am not telling the whole story. Well, this is what happened: I was planning no cap reduction for the new car, I would only pay the first monthly payment, plus license & registration fees. I was going to write a separate check to PFS for 5 lease payments, since the dealer promised to make 1 lease payment for me. No one ever said *anything* about the 3 month break.

At the signing time, they changed it. They asked me to pay them all in 1 check, and their reason was that they could not take a separate check from me, when it was meant for PFS. And they promised to take care of the rest. So they put my lease payment into the cap reduction, resulting in me having to pay extra tax on the car. I ended up paying about $500 more tax, I think. They increased my negotiation price to compensate, so my monthly payment is the same, lease factor is the same.

At that time I was too tired to argue otherwise, so I signed it. I relied on them to make good on their words to pay off my last lease.

Now, this has not *happened* yet. You tell me, whose fault is it? I negotiated in good faith, and I expect the dealer to do the same.

As for the 3 month break on my last lease, I categorized it as being *taken*. Therefore, my title.

p.s. My blood is slowly boiling again because nobody at the dealer has returned my phone call yet. If this keeps up I am going to change the word to "defraud".
Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I didnt say you werent telling the whole story and I didnt lay blame on anyone nor do I agree that its your fault for signing. I just commented that something does not add up since they dont get to keep the money somehow that lease needs to be paid off. There is no break for lease turn ins right this moment.

Quick Reply: Porsche sales had me, again