Sponsored by:

Is such slow service normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is such slow service normal?

My car, which stopped unexpectedly and on the highway has been in the dealer shop for two weeks. Its a CPO'ed 05 carrera which my wife and I have had the pleasure of driving all of 320 miles.

I have not received one phone call from the service people in these two weeks.

I have made four calls in these two weeks, the last being today. I was told today that the engine was going to be pulled on the car on monday to see why it will not run. This is the same line I got a week ago thursday.

Is it normal to have to wait so long for service and is porsche service so disinterested they don't bother to call and give you an occassional update?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound normal for it to take 2 weeks to even get a diagnosis. I would suggest staying on them, calling daily for updates, asking politely what they are doing, etc.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That slow service is not normal. However, I must say, my Range
Rover was at the dealer for nearly two weeks for a simple
radio reception problem.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Continue to
call them every morning and politely advise them that you
would like daily updates and are anxious to get your
car back.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i dropped my car off once and got a loaner.. 10 hours later i get a call saying they hadn't started yet and i could pick my car up or keep the loaner overnight, was for a simple fix so i said forget it and i deal with the mirror noise... there was noone else there for service besides a boxter... all the bays were empty.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is quite irritating.

I have not had my 997 in for service yet, however, the Range Rover
stereo issues are a different story. At least RR gives me an LR3 to use while
they are troubleshooting the radio (it has been in 3 times for the radio). This is a good opportunity to use their truck for picking up mulch, bushes, and anything too dirty/muddy to put in your own truck.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Funny sort of but I have info on Porsche's Approved Collision Program....

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
My car, which stopped unexpectedly and on the highway has been in the dealer shop for two weeks. Its a CPO'ed 05 carrera which my wife and I have had the pleasure of driving all of 320 miles.

I have not received one phone call from the service people in these two weeks.

I have made four calls in these two weeks, the last being today. I was told today that the engine was going to be pulled on the car on monday to see why it will not run. This is the same line I got a week ago thursday.

Is it normal to have to wait so long for service and is porsche service so disinterested they don't bother to call and give you an occassional update?
requirements and under section Customer Relations it states:

PACC's customer handling process must meet a luxury vehicle owner's expectation.

The PACC must communicate repair progress to the customer via phone or email every other day.

The PACC must provide customers with a detailed invoice of work completed as well as a thorough explanation of all work performed.

Intersting that Porsche requires the above for shops that wish to qualify for collision repair yet doesn't seem to care if its dealer network adheres to any of the above requirements (along with about a zillion others I don't have time to type in)....

Sinccerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Yank it out and go to another dealer.This deal will not get any better
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

If they pulled the engine out, I'd put money they are waiting for a crate engine to arrive. Why would tey pull it only to see why it does not run? What, it's gonna magiclly run on a stand, like they have a dyno area.

They are waiting for the engine to arrive and may be sending data to PNA or to Germany and may be waiting for an approval for the new engine. Normally, they'd just send the data before pulling it out. Maybe they screwed up by pulling it out first before getting approval on a new one.

Just make sure you get details on the new engine warranty.

Deanski
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

What you are experiencing is quite unusual. What's your rapport with the service guys? Are you a guy who is clearly a 'car guy' and interested in what's going on? I find that with my dealership they know better than to NOT keep me in the loop on anything that takes longer than usual. I consider such a delay very odd,--and nearly getting into the realm of being a California Lemon Law candidate.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:25 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does lemon law apply to pre-owned vehicles?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default Call PCNA

and use words like lemon and buy back. Explain your disappointment and what you think is acceptable service on a car. They will likely have their field service engineer contact the dealer to try and help resolve the problem.

Did they at least get you a loaner? If not I would also tell PCNA you want a loaner to get around while your car is sitting.

Good luck-don't lose faith in the car, they are truly awesome. A bad apple dealership can ruin everything, just ask Ford, GM and Chrysler. Every car will need service at some point. If it isn't a pain in the **** to get it done it is far more palatable.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boolala
Does lemon law apply to pre-owned vehicles?
I have checked with a lawyer on this.

In NJ lemon law applies on a used car after three attempts to fix the same problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deanski
If they pulled the engine out, I'd put money they are waiting for a crate engine to arrive. Why would tey pull it only to see why it does not run? What, it's gonna magiclly run on a stand, like they have a dyno area.

They are waiting for the engine to arrive and may be sending data to PNA or to Germany and may be waiting for an approval for the new engine. Normally, they'd just send the data before pulling it out. Maybe they screwed up by pulling it out first before getting approval on a new one.

Just make sure you get details on the new engine warranty.

Deanski

The service center said the first week they have sent the codes to atlanta since they cannot figure out what the problem is; atlanta came back with cam sensor but after checking the sensors it did not appear to be the cause of the shut down

Good point about the warrnty...thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MLindgren
and use words like lemon and buy back. Explain your disappointment and what you think is acceptable service on a car. They will likely have their field service engineer contact the dealer to try and help resolve the problem.

Did they at least get you a loaner? If not I would also tell PCNA you want a loaner to get around while your car is sitting.

Good luck-don't lose faith in the car, they are truly awesome. A bad apple dealership can ruin everything, just ask Ford, GM and Chrysler. Every car will need service at some point. If it isn't a pain in the **** to get it done it is far more palatable.
Lemon and buy back may be tough ona CPO car in NJ but not impossible. I will look into that more closely once they say something after pulling the engine out.

I turned down the loaner since we also have a boxster and the carrera is a third car.

I think that was a mistake...it may prompt them to move the car along faster if I had a loaner.

Quick Reply: Is such slow service normal?