Sponsored by:

"new" 2008 cars on the market

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "new" 2008 cars on the market

Hi all, I've wandered over here from the 993 forum with a couple of questions.

In the last week I've suddenly seen a lot of ads for "new" (I think demonstrator) MY '08 cars. Are others seeing that in their areas? (I'm in NorCal)

Can anyone offer a considered opinion about how much dealers might be willing to discount these from MSRP? I have little idea about how car dealers and demonstrator use works, so I don't know whether these cars have already been deducted as a business expense, or whether PCNA has paid some of the cost of the car back to the dealer or anything like that.

I'm not trying to start any flames, I'm just trying to be better informed.

Thanks!

Last edited by patela; 07-09-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No 911s here - I did see some in other states, but some outrageous low prices and lease deals for '08 Boxsters when I was looking in May.

They may have already started the warranty period and no longer have full 48mo. Also, with 2010s on the horizon, they are getting close to the 2 year mark - so "new" is sort of subjective. I guess dealers will discount to the extent that supply/demand forces, but to me, those are basically low-mileage used cars - what's the depreciation on a 1.5-2 yo car? That's a number I'd be thinking about working from...

Last edited by stevepow; 07-09-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are selling them as used cars, make them throw in the CPO certification so you basically have a new car with 5-6 yrs and 100K warranty. Last I heard the remaining new 08's were getting 20-24% discount, but that might have changed now.

When I was shopping last month, the 08 inventory in So Cal was minimal, and probably depleted by now. Haven't checked recently but if you don't mind getting a 997.1 over a 997.2 and save a few bucks, you can probably negotiate into some great deals.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

We have three, all S cabs - knocking ~ 18k off MSRP.

With the new program you can get 1.9% financing on these cars too.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I was looking at one in my state and was a little shocked on how little the dealer was willing to discount the car. The car is a 2008 C2S Cabriolet fairly loaded with a M.S.R.P. of $100k. It had 100 miles on it. The car was "punched" in July of 2008 so one year of warranty is already gone. I found out they have had the car sitting on their lot since January of 2008. They told me they would give me a "deal" and sell the car to me for $86,400 since I was referred to them by a friend. Not sure what other's here think, but I thought that was way to high. Suffice it to say I passed and bought the car I'm in now and couldn't be happier.

Car is still sitting there. They put it up on ebay a few weeks back with a buy it now price of $90k and didn't get one offer.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Have ad from local (SF Chronicle) car section of local dealer...

Originally Posted by patela

In the last week I've suddenly seen a lot of ads for "new" (I think demonstrator) MY '08 cars. Are others seeing that in their areas? (I'm in NorCal)

Can anyone offer a considered opinion about how much dealers might be willing to discount these from MSRP? I have little idea about how car dealers and demonstrator use works, so I don't know whether these cars have already been deducted as a business expense, or whether PCNA has paid some of the cost of the car back to the dealer or anything like that.

Thanks!
offering 2008 Carrera "demos" at $22.5K off MSRP. Redwood City CA dealer has 7 cars to choose from. Other bay area dealers too but many don't advertise much. You just have to walk on lot or visit dealer web site for specials. And check out cars carefully. Sometimes cars listed on web site for less than price posted on car on lot or in showroom.

On April 5th this year at Walnut Creek Porsche I bought a new 08 Cayman S for $50K which was $16K+ under sticker. Car punched just a month or so before I bought it and had maybe 70 miles on it.

That "demo" tag just a tag. Cars are in most cases not demos but have been punched by dealer for some reason related to fact cars not moving and factory has some incentive tied to cars that are punched.

That is, factory offers dealers some incentive to help them move obviously slow (try glacially slow) moving stock.

Punched means the car's warranty clock has started running. Since most problems occur over miles driven and not time car sits around you still have nearly 50K miles of warranty remaining. And miles car has it on it when you buy it of course have already given any defects a chance to appear.

One of worse things you can do is buy new car then let it sit around unused until warranty expires on time.

Unfortunately through no fault of mine my Cayman S destroyed in accident and I looked at replacing it with another 08 Cayman but instead found a nice 03 Turbo with just 9500 miles for about same as a "new" 08 Cayman S could be had for. So I bought 03 Turbo. (Then last Friday hit mule deer outside of Ely NV. Sigh. I just can't win...Car not badly damaged though and will be fixed shortly. In meantime I get by with my 02 Boxster with 222K miles on it...)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Oh, couple of times when looking to replace my 08 Cayman S....

Thanks!
had salesman show me discounted 08 cars -- various Boxster, Cayman, even Carrera models -- and with no prompting on my part suggested if I was really interested any car could be had for a few thousand less than advertised discount price.

There's a few thousand at least of room is my opinion on these cars currently being offered at already a substantial discount.

You probably won't get best price by being wishy-washy and making half assed attempt to buy.

Show up with price knowledge and good info on dealer's existing stock and other nearby dealers' stock and make serious offer. Trade in complicates things so leave trade-in at home. If new cars going for fire sale prices last thing dealer wants is to try to work out sale with it getting a used car which has an even more severely discounted value.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
offering 2008 Carrera "demos" at $22.5K off MSRP. Redwood City CA dealer has 7 cars to choose from. Other bay area dealers too but many don't advertise much. You just have to walk on lot or visit dealer web site for specials. And check out cars carefully. Sometimes cars listed on web site for less than price posted on car on lot or in showroom.

On April 5th this year at Walnut Creek Porsche I bought a new 08 Cayman S for $50K which was $16K+ under sticker. Car punched just a month or so before I bought it and had maybe 70 miles on it.

That "demo" tag just a tag. Cars are in most cases not demos but have been punched by dealer for some reason related to fact cars not moving and factory has some incentive tied to cars that are punched.

That is, factory offers dealers some incentive to help them move obviously slow (try glacially slow) moving stock.

Punched means the car's warranty clock has started running. Since most problems occur over miles driven and not time car sits around you still have nearly 50K miles of warranty remaining. And miles car has it on it when you buy it of course have already given any defects a chance to appear.

One of worse things you can do is buy new car then let it sit around unused until warranty expires on time.

Unfortunately through no fault of mine my Cayman S destroyed in accident and I looked at replacing it with another 08 Cayman but instead found a nice 03 Turbo with just 9500 miles for about same as a "new" 08 Cayman S could be had for. So I bought 03 Turbo. (Then last Friday hit mule deer outside of Ely NV. Sigh. I just can't win...Car not badly damaged though and will be fixed shortly. In meantime I get by with my 02 Boxster with 222K miles on it...)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Can the dealer CPO the new cars that have been punched?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
G car
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 18.5% of 09 turbo cab, end of April
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
steph280
Instructor

The dealers in So Cal area doesn't seem to be in a hurry to move their inventory. They are holding their prices. So I think the discounts you hear are mostly regional phenomenons.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

There are very few left over 2008s in NJ. I have seen some ads in PA and OH via Autotrader. I have also seen a number of cars show up from auctions at dealerships, e.g. 2007s with just a few miles. They are heavily discounted but condition varies for these casrs.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Default 1.9% financing on '08' leftovers?

Is this new as of July?...am interested in knowing...any other incentives new to July? Thanks...I'm on the verge!...
Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Macster - Those cars in Redwood City are exactly the ones I'm talking about. At least some of them have been CPO'd to the time they were punched (means about 6mos extra of warranty if purchased now).

Offered at about 20% off, and was told initially that 1.9% financing is only for '09 cars. Does anyone know differently about the financing?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Is this new as of July?...am interested in knowing...any other incentives new to July? Thanks...I'm on the verge!...
See the "Programs Are Back" thread.

Macster - Those cars in Redwood City are exactly the ones I'm talking about. At least some of them have been CPO'd to the time they were punched (means about 6mos extra of warranty if purchased now).

Offered at about 20% off, and was told initially that 1.9% financing is only for '09 cars. Does anyone know differently about the financing?
Yes:

Demos and Service Loan vehicles eligible for the lease/RF/911 Cash Support support as long as it is replaced by another Service Loan or Demonstrator in the same reporting month and a 911 is taken from PCNA pool in the case of 911 Cash Support usage.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Joe Shark: is that in Bend? They seemed unwilling in the extreme to deal on an '07 they had still sitting around last fall. I think it is regional and influenced by stock on hand.)

Patela: Macster is right about Carlsen having had a huge inventory of '08 "S" models sitting on their lot forever. When I was actively shopping hard about six months ago, they had, like, I wanna say, 12 to 15 "S" cabs MY 08 with dead batteries from not even being tested or trickled for months and months and months.

And for a while, Stevens Creek was offering several leftover MY 08 "S" cabs for $25k off. They were tricky with the advertising, though. The $25 off price only appeared on certain websites like autotrader and their "unofficial" website, and only when you moused over the car's picture.

I believe Macster is right: research and be knowledgable, and I wouldn't feel bad offering $25k off on an '08 at this point. I eventually got a custom '09, but 25k off an 08 pays for a lot of insurance coverage or mods or whatever.

And fwiw, my local salesperson said this week to me that Porsche really really wants them to get rid of their 08's before the MY '10 hits the shelves.

Quick Reply: "new" 2008 cars on the market