Time to Buy/Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 AM
kurteck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to Buy/Advice?

Hi All,

Given Porsche's abysmal June sales numbers (and the fact that I finally have support from my wife), I am seriously considering jumping into the deep end of the pool. Can anyone think of a reason not to purchase a new p-car right now? I have read that dealers are offering up to 10% off MSRP on inventory. How much are the discounts on a build order?

This will be my first Porsche so I would greatly appreciate your advice on the following spec. I intend to use the car for it's designed purpose (on the track) about once or twice a month. I will also drive her to work twice a week and enjoy spirited drives on the weekend. I should add this car will be a keeper for at least the next 10 years.

Build Spec:
Carrera S
6-speed manual transmission
99 - Metallic Paint To Sample (possibly Tahoe Blue)
05 - Natural Dark Grey Leather
022 - Black Instrument Dials
342 - Heated Seats
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
619 - Bluetooth Interface
870 - Universal Audio Interface
P17 - PASM Sport Suspension

Nice to have:
Calipers Painted Dark Grey
CVP - Leather Trim Strip
XMZ - Leather Center Console
X70 - Alum. Door Entry Guards

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Kurt
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Probably wont get 10% off on any 2010 build especially a paint to sample color. The deals are on the 2009's.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I ordered my 2009 in December, I received 10.3% off MSRP. Your build sounds very much like mine, but you forgot a great value that you will need for the track: Fire Extinguisher. It's only $140 and required in most PCA chapters, especially in the higher run groups (we used to require for all participants, now just for the more advanced groups). While paint to sample and different colored calipers may make your car more unique to you, it's a lot of money spent for questionable value. As a track oriented guy, you've picked things like SPASM and Sport Seats which are performance based. But spending thousands on paint won't make the car perform any differently. Same goes for the other "nice to have" items on your list.

My Build: Aqua Blue, Sport heated seats, SPASM, Fire Extinguisher, Universal Audio, BlueTooth, and Navigation (never had it before in a car), and Floor Mats.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
DanJK
Racer

Heated seats? In Atlanta? Swap for the sport shifter IMO.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You will be able to get 10% off if they have an open build allocation. If not, try another dealership. Be willing to purchase out-of-state too.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
kurteck
Intermediate

Nice build, Ron and good catch on the extinguisher

I am curious if there are options you feel are missing on your car since it is spec'd similar to mine? I have all but decided to omit PSE, Sport Chrono, and BOSE after reading many Rennlist postings. PSE because it does little other than make a nice sound. Sport Chrono because the throttle map is non-linear which makes it easier to upset the car when exiting a turn (I also don't like the wart). And BOSE because the sub adds weight. Would you agree?

Last edited by kurteck; 07-06-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't change my build if I could do it over again - well, maybe I'd dump the $2k navigation (50/50 right now on the decision). Don't want PSE as there's nothing performance about it (I got a Sharkwerks primary bypass and am thrilled with it), don't need / want Bose - stock is fine in a sports car where you hear the road, mechanical, and engine noises, and SC is just not needed for a track / street car (I have TraqMate for data acquisition).

Think about 022 Black dials - I don't like shiny / white / silver dials and loved the blacks on my 07 and ordered it this way again. Very classic look. I also deleted the Carrera S badge - just a trap for wax / bugs / etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Tahoe blue is one of my favorite colors, I would love to see the car if and when you get it. IMO the painted center con looks better. I am a sucker for the x70 illuminateed entry guards even though they're a bit bling! Sounds pretty sweet did you shop it around yet?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:02 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe gt68 is willing to give you his best price and work with you....take a look at that thread under "serious buyer...".
abe
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try building you car using the Amex website and then make a visit to your local dealer with the print out. Remember there is value in buying a car locally if you are able to, so you may need to be a little flexible on price? Worked well for me.

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html..._id=ZAMX000001

Good luck.

Last edited by Pincomar; 07-06-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Tell us more about Tahoe Blue, is it metalic?
And what about the Sport Bucket Seats? Too extreme?

Bruce
Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 AM
kurteck
Intermediate

Tahoe Blue Metallic (L37C) was a special order color available on 964s (http://www.964uk.com/Documents/964%20Colour%20Codes.pdf). It is similar to Minerva Blue and Azurro California. In truth, I'd prefer the Azurro California but that color is reserved for Club Coupes

Tahoe Blue:
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 AM
kurteck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pincomar
Try building you car using the Amex website and then make a visit to your local dealer with the print out. Remember there is value in buying a car locally if you are able to, so you may need to be a little flexible on price? Worked well for me.

http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html..._id=ZAMX000001

Good luck.

Interesting. I wasn't aware Amex and Zag had a relationship. According to Zagmex, I can purchase my car for 9% off of MSRP - no hassle. All I have to do is "contact the Certified Dealer(s) you selected to ... discuss availability of your car. They will do their best to match the vehicle you have configured online."

I'm sure they'll have plenty in stock

Kidding aside, it is great information. Thanks for the link!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the Amex thing to get "one" idea of what to expect to pay - didn't have to forward it to any dealers, so that was nice. My dealer beat that by a good bit and I never even brought it up. Although now I don't know if they have the "money coupons" from PAG to apply to the cars anymore - they told me that ended in May, so the AMEX pricing might be closer now especially if you are ordering.

For an Atlanta car, vented seats have been a god-send - I know that is not exactly what you are going for with your car, but worth a thought - although you'd have to give up the sports seats. Probably moving too far from your original intent. You seem to have thought it out pretty well if you have dialed in the color options to that extent. Very cool car in the photo.

Good luck...
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

That tahoe blue is such a neat color!

Quick Reply: Time to Buy/Advice?