Sponsored by:

Oil Level issues......

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Level issues......

997.2 has 2700 miles on it. Engine check oil light came on.

The level was at the lowest level. Took it in and they topped it off with 1 quart. Level then showed it to be full.

Drove home. I checked it again, and it was 0.4 quarts low (one mark below full). Topped it off. Drove around. Seemed ok.

This am, took the car to work. Checked and its one level below the top (0.4 quarts low) again.

Not sure what Im doing wrong....or does the car have an issue?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 135 Posts

You're not doing anything wrong. If I were you I'd keep a written record of your oil consumption (dates and amounts). There are some motors that use extream amounts of oil. My '06 used 1 quart in the 1st 5K miles. I then changed the oil and it's never used any since (30K)

Matt
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
afridi
Racer

Encouraging...thanks.

I was wondering, if I just need to do an oil change and see what happens.

Last edited by afridi; 06-30-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some Exxon-Mobil stock.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
cgthanos
Advanced

Default A DFI Issue

I think this oil consumption issue is a byproduct of the DFI engine, and it may taper off with use but probably won't go away. In my RS4 engine, which uses FSI (similar or maybe the same as DFI), I expect to go through oil on the scale that you describe. In the RS4 forums, this has been attributed to the blowby of fuel into the oil, causing shearing and increasing volatility, both leading to oil degradation and loss. The long term ramification of this is valve deposits, which is currently cropping up in a number of RS4s around the globe. This issue has been ameliorated by selecting oils that are more resistant to these mechanisms, and there has been a great deal of research within the RS4 community about which oils best accomplish this. I won't go into great detail here, but through controlled observations over 3 years now, there is data (from Terry Dyson) to support the use of Renewable Lubes Biosyn 5W-40, which lengthens the interval between oil changes, prevents valve deposits, etc. Data for Castrol Syntec (audi) and Mobil 1 (porsche) are discouraging. I trust the Porsche and Audi engineers just as much as the next guy, but unfortunately it looks like they may have overlooked the importance of this aspect. It has already been discussed here with respect to the 997.2, and the Cayenne DFI engines are also involved (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...10#Post1493810).
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

1st of all do not add oil until the oil level indicator shows the last thinner line only lite up. Otherwise you can and will over fill the oil.

My 09 Carrera S burns a lot of oil but Porsche WILL NOT do anything about it until you are burning over 1 quart in 600 miles.

It seems like the new DFI engines burn a lot of oil and produce a vast amount of soot. Makes me wonder how Porsche got these engines to pass EPA.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
1st of all do not add oil until the oil level indicator shows the last thinner line only lite up. Otherwise you can and will over fill the oil.

My 09 Carrera S burns a lot of oil but Porsche WILL NOT do anything about it until you are burning over 1 quart in 600 miles.

It seems like the new DFI engines burn a lot of oil and produce a vast amount of soot. Makes me wonder how Porsche got these engines to pass EPA.
Am rather anxious, trying not to overfill it.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 AM
afridi
Racer

Originally Posted by cgthanos
I think this oil consumption issue is a byproduct of the DFI engine, and it may taper off with use but probably won't go away. In my RS4 engine, which uses FSI (similar or maybe the same as DFI), I expect to go through oil on the scale that you describe. In the RS4 forums, this has been attributed to the blowby of fuel into the oil, causing shearing and increasing volatility, both leading to oil degradation and loss. The long term ramification of this is valve deposits, which is currently cropping up in a number of RS4s around the globe. This issue has been ameliorated by selecting oils that are more resistant to these mechanisms, and there has been a great deal of research within the RS4 community about which oils best accomplish this. I won't go into great detail here, but through controlled observations over 3 years now, there is data (from Terry Dyson) to support the use of Renewable Lubes Biosyn 5W-40, which lengthens the interval between oil changes, prevents valve deposits, etc. Data for Castrol Syntec (audi) and Mobil 1 (porsche) are discouraging. I trust the Porsche and Audi engineers just as much as the next guy, but unfortunately it looks like they may have overlooked the importance of this aspect. It has already been discussed here with respect to the 997.2, and the Cayenne DFI engines are also involved (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...10#Post1493810).
Thanks for the link. I'll read up on what the Audi guys have been doing.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
afridi
Racer

My tech says, keep an eye on it. Dont let it fall to minimum. He says take it out and track it.

Hmmm. Lets see what happens.

May have to keep a lot of oil on hand!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each engine is indeed different. With over 3000 miles put on since my first oil change, not a single sign of oil consumption. In fact, the dealer put too much oil so my level is and continues to be at its maximum which causes the engine oil level light to appear periodically.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I have 1600 miles since delivery 4/23 w/ mixed use town/highway. So far the electronic "dipstick" reads full. The only soot I've noticed is a thin line at the very bottom of all four pipes. I plan on changing the oil at 3K miles which is what I've done w/ my previous Porsches. Not sure whether the gasoline used is an issue, but I go w/ either Shell V-power or BP Ultimate.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, try and measure your oil at the same spot each time - to ensure the pitch of the car is identical at each measurement. The system is very sensitive to the car's pitch... .ideal would be perfectly horizontal. What may look horizontal may not be.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 AM
afridi
Racer

Thanks. I'll try and check at the same spot.

I plan to drive the car more aggressively, to try and seat the rings/seals better.

Wish I could find 93 gas in this town. All we have is 91.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:20 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Current I have a similar experience as well, afridi. Got a low oil warning around 1600 miles, and I added 1/2 quart first time. After 200 miles the warning came on again, and I added 1/2 quart. I checked the oil level, and it was still at minimum level, so I added another 1/2 quart. It still stay at the last bar, but the warning has not come on yet. I am going to add another 1/2 quart to see if the level will ever come up. If not, then I will take it to the dealer.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
afridi
Racer

Use the guidelines in the manual, I think it's 0.4 quarts to move it up a notch.

I got it to the top. Ran it on the track hard. Still stayed topped up.

Then after driving two hours home, checked again, down 0,4 quarts. Repeated twice and it showed full.

The electronic dipstick is finicky. I would say, try and keep it somewhere in the middle if you dont want to risk overfilling it. Dont keep it at the lowermost level and wait for teh light to come on. And check it after driving the car for about 20 min to make sure it has warmed up properly.

My feeling is, as others have pointed out, things may settle after the first oil change. Also, the track outing (4 sessions of 15 - 25 min each) should have helped the actual break in.
Lets see what happens.

Quick Reply: Oil Level issues......