Sponsored by:

C4S purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4S purchase...

Thanks to you all for answering mu numerous questions...I do believeI'll look to purchase the C4S I've seen to swithc from my CTT. One other question I have is that being an 08' leftover at the original dealer, with a build date of 08/07...it has 170 mi on the odometer. Is this to be expected considering the overall situation, or is this mileage a concern.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What is a CTT? Also, keep in mind that the 08 C4S and the 09 C4S are two entirely different animals. And it's not just the engine. Te four wheel drive system is entirely new to that platform.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Sorry, is a Cayenne Turbo. The 08' interests me because of the pricing, and it being equipped as I would have chosen down to the color and interior...so I suppose there is an "Easy" factor here as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since it's a leftover '08, those 170 are test drive miles. Just make sure they document that if you have any issues.... esp. if there was an over-rev detected in the first 170.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks...is this where the PI...etc scan comes in?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Looked some 08 leftovers a while back -- March/April timeframe - and...

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Thanks to you all for answering mu numerous questions...I do believeI'll look to purchase the C4S I've seen to swithc from my CTT. One other question I have is that being an 08' leftover at the original dealer, with a build date of 08/07...it has 170 mi on the odometer. Is this to be expected considering the overall situation, or is this mileage a concern.
bought a new 08 Cayman S for $12K off sticker. Had about 70 miles on the car. Test drive miles. Later could have bought other Caymans for $20K off and was offered other nice cars (even RS60 Spyder) for tens of thousands of dollars off sticker.

Several dealers still have left over '08 Boxsters (base/S), Caymans (ditto), and even Carreras. One (Carlsen in Redwood City, CA has some excellent deals on left over Carreras. Dealer is running ad in SF paper citing big discounts).

Be aware these cars are usually *punched* and the warranty time starts counting down from the date it was punched. Also, the mileage starts too. IOWs, if car punched Jan 09 and had 100 miles on it, 4 year warranty will be up Jan '13 and not 4 years from the date you buy the car.

Not a big deal cause a warranty should not expire on time but on miles. To have a 4 year, 50K mile warranty and have warranty expire after 4 years and have just 10K miles or so on car is wasting warranty. Problems appear from miles driven not elapsed time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Default Extended Warranty

Good to know...I average 25K mi/yr. I suspect I should look into an extended warranty at purchase...Does Porsche deal with an extended warranty or are they all aftermarket?
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Not sure about extended warranty backed by Porsche...

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Good to know...I average 25K mi/yr. I suspect I should look into an extended warranty at purchase...Does Porsche deal with an extended warranty or are they all aftermarket?
Ask dealer when you buy car. Or better yet, find out before hand and factor in price of extended warranty into your offer.

Extended warranties have high markup cause many buy who let warranty expire on time and not miles driven so claims are not very frequent.

If warrranty (extended service contract) not backed by Porsche you have to be very careful you know company backing the warranty/service contract. There are some shady companies out there.

Dealer where I bougth 03 Turbo offered me an extended warranty/service contract with Fidelity. I know nothing of this company. Declined.

The Turbo came with CPO warranty until 2011 or 100K miles. I'll not hit 100K miles cause car had less than 10K miles and no way I can drive 45K miles a year in next year or so until warranty expires sometime early in 2011.

I might get car up to 50K miles and if no problems found take my chances sans any warranty going forward. (I've been warranty-less now for over 170K miles with my '02 Boxster -- with over 222K miles -- and so far no real big problems. Turbos are supposed to be pretty solid engines and I take good care of cars and do not abuse them, track them, so I think Turbo will be ok.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:13 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Default Fluids in 977 with 08/07 build date?

Any thoughts on the various fluids put into the car at birth, now sitting 2 years later with 170 mi...any concern with deteoriation?, lubrication etc?...thanks.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

I just got information about a service contract at my local Porsche dealer. I have a deposit on a '07 Turbo from another dealer out of county. The car is not certified for the extra 2 years on a CPO warranty. It was on consignment. My local dealer sells Easy Care and you can Google it and read about it. Backed by Zurich Insurance Company and endorsed by Motor Trend. Got a quote for $2700 for 6 years from date of service contract purchase or 60K mileage, whichever comes first, with a $250 deductible. I only drive it 3-5k miles a year, third car.
My car has 1800 miles and I plan on doing the annual service, oil change and brake flush etc. Well worth the money. If you can afford an extra warranty, I say go for it. Peace of mind and if you sell the car, it is a good selling point because you can transfer it over. You can also terminate the contract at any time and get a pro-rata refund. I also would pay for a private party inspection at another dealer.
I didn't want the same seller-dealer doing the inspection b/c they might just say it is OK just to sell it.
I paid $300 for another dealer to do it and they did the DME rev analysis. My car came out flawless, hopefully yours will too. I was looking at leftover 2008 C4S cars and new '09's C4S and was about to order a new one when I stumbled across this '07 Turbo. Car was stickered at 141K and I am buying it for low 90's. Took me 7 months to find the right car. Take your time in this economy. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Thanks...will look into it. I should've done so with my Cayenne Turbo.

Quick Reply: C4S purchase...