Sponsored by:

X51 - Worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X51 - Worth the price?

I'm about to add X51 to a C4S build and thought I'd get some opinions on it before I do. It seems like a huge cost, but when you factor in the parts separately, the fact that you don't need the $3k sports exhaust, and that Porsche often times underrates performance numbers, it seems like a good idea.

Is it worth the price of admission tho (it'll cost me ~$12k)? Is the power gain noticeable? Does it give it a nicer sound? Better throttle response (heard lighter parts in engine = better response time)? Do I still retain the option to turn the sport exhaust on and off? Any info you can give me so I don't wind up making a costly mistake would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the price level you are at you might want to look a buying a Turbo. The performance level and or sound of an x-51, in my opinion, is not noticeable enough to justify the extra 12-16k.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with russo -- you're already accepting 4WD so there's no reason not to just bump up to a Turbo. I think the case is a lot more compelling for adding X51 to a C2S, but when push comes to shove I doubt I'd ever do it. The price to performance ratio is just too poor.

And, to be honest, with 2000+ track miles on my C2S I've never felt like the car's hp was the limiting factor.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by russo
For the price level you are at you might want to look a buying a Turbo. The performance level and or sound of an x-51, in my opinion, is not noticeable enough to justify the extra 12-16k.
I really wanted the PDK which is why I am going with the C4S. The Turbo comes in either manual (which I'd destroy due to my lack of ability) or Tip (which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemies). Plus, even with just about all of my options so far, I still only come out to the price of a base Turbo - I rather a well equipped model down then a barebones model up.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you have a ton of money to waste, in my opinion it's absolutely not worth it.
You might notice a slight difference when you own the car, but when you sell it you'll feel it a lot more as you'll get about $0.30-0.40 on the dollar for it.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Unless you have a ton of money to waste, in my opinion it's absolutely not worth it.
You might notice a slight difference when you own the car, but when you sell it you'll feel it a lot more as you'll get about $0.30-0.40 on the dollar for it.
The money is available, not to waste tho. I'm spending so much on just the base of the car, that not spending a little more and doing it right I think would be foolish. I am also buying this car for just me, not resale, and I will most likely own it for a very very long time, or until I total it, which ever comes first.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:19 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from the upgraded internals--revised cylinder heads and camshafts with more aggressive profiles. You can add on just about all X51 components yourself for a hell of a lot less than the upcharge at the stealer and nearly get to the same added hp.

X51 Headers
X51 Airbox
Throttle Body and bare metal intake plenum
ECU Flash
Porsche Sport Exhaust

This, of course, pertains to the 997.1 power kit so I'm not sure if all equipment listed will fall into your .2 build.

Good Luck...sounds like a great car either way.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one more time... and pleeeeease don't be offended

you have stated that you don't drive stick so well, so it is safe to assume you're not an experienced performance driver, is it not?

if so;

keep the money in your checking account and spend .33-.5 that much on driving lessons and track time. your car will be far more rapid at that point than any X51 or TT or any other mod for that matter.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a 997S for one year, then upgraded to club coupe (with X51).

Yes, X51 will give you a slight performance advantage over its mid to high range of rev. On track driving, you may pull slightly away from a regular 997S on the long straight. That's about it. Regular city driving I felt no difference as we never push our cars to the limit anyway.

So my conclusion is if you really want more hp and will keep the car for a long time, then it is still justifiable. But don't expect to sell it in a few years and get much of this investment back.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:58 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by russo
+1

For X-51 money I'd rather have a turbo if you *need* AWD.

My dream 911 is a GT3 so I'm guessing we have completely differing priorities.

The clutch/transmissions in these cars are pretty user friendly and if you intend to keep it for a while perhaps you should challenge yourself to master a MT.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback - it's so easy to check the box on the order sheet, I guess I need a little reality check from time to time.

allegretto, I would definitely not call myself an experienced driver. I am certainly far from bad, as I picked up quite a bit from my grandfather, who made his living as a rally car driver back in the day, but not nearly enough to run with a lot of the better people here. We've always just had F1 transmission cars, so I never got a chance to get on a manual and learn.

As far as what the kit includes, does anyone know if the X51 for the MY2009/2010 still includes the 3rd radiator, and what exactly it's purpose is?

It sounds, from kdurg's report, that everything except one or two thing can be added later, and even those can be fitted if need be.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

This falls into the same situation as PCCBs.

If you have X51 then it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. If not it's the biggest waste of $$$ there ever was. You will not find anybody who doesn't like it nor are you likely to find somebody who admits the entry price was too high. The standard power options on these cars are plenty, if you need to go to the next level you need to look at a turbo.

It would be great to find an "experienced" car with the option since I think it would only draw a minimal premium on the resale side. To me it might be worth $2K.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

Take a tiny fraction of the money you are about to spend on PDK and go borrow/rent/buy some old clunker with a manual transmission. Drive it every chance you get for a month... and Presto! Now you know how to drive a stick, and your enjoyment of all future P-cars has been doubled.

Seriously, I cannot conceive of how anyone could make it through their entire life without bothering to spend the few hours it takes to learn the basics of operating a MT. It's one of life's few remaining simple pleasures.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo. Dominate everything, everywhere.

I'm flabbergasted to see that there are like new '07's w/ less than 5000 miles for $97k all day long.

Suspension upgrade and chip it.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Find a new GT3 engine (997.2) and have it dropped into the Carrera of your choice. THAT is the ultimate solution.

Quick Reply: X51 - Worth the price?