Sponsored by:

Need user feedback on 911 AWD usefulness in non snowy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Need user feedback on 911 AWD usefulness in non snowy conditions

Need user feedback on 911 AWD usefulness in non snowy conditions( dry, heavy rain etc , wet roads etc) if any

My friend and I went to look at some cars and saw a good deal on c4s , test drove it but the brief etst drive did not provide much diffference between RWD and AWD

If the wider look on AWD is not a priority and no driving in snow, what kinda situations would benefit the AWD?

Thx
Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you don't care about the look, and won't be driving in snow, then you probably don't need a C4S.

I feel more confident driving in the rain. I like the way it corners. But I wouldn't buy it for those reasons.

IMO, The RWD cars drive just fine and would probably be more fun for you.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the control advantages in decreased traction situations should carry in any compromise situation.

if you could not feel the sense of weight difference/steering feel in the two, then it probably comes down to how much you drive in less-than-ideal circumstances and how much you're willing to pay for the AWD.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with medtech - if you don't need AWD (i.e. no snow or heavy, heavy rains), then get a C2S with more performance options. I only got a C4S because of the snow requirement.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for a longer test drive, with some curves that you can take at a spirited pace - if you can't tell the difference, then as others have said the 2wd should be just fine. If you can tell the difference and you like it, and you like the the feel of the car and the price is right, go for it.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

If you don't drive in low traction situations a lot, i.e., rain snow, sand on the road, etc. the 2S is a quicker car largely due to less weight and drivetrain loss. If you drive in snow like me, the AWD is wonderful. Goes through crud like an SUV without the ugly handling compromises caused by a high center of gravity. The only downside is if there is 6 inches or more of unplowed snow, you will be the plow. I also like the wide body look as a bonus.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having driven an '05 C2S and an '06 C4S thousands of miles each over the exact same high mountain, twisty, undulating roads I have an interesting perspective.

The AWD 911 is much more confidence inspiring. The C2S would pitch the rear end out on off camber or undulating road right at the centrifugal peak. The C4S on the same road, same spot, same inputs, just would not let go.

On any given day at any given time I'd have to be ready for the extreme of flotsam and jetsam of road debris like grapenut sized berm grave, wet leaves in the shade, pine needles, and my all time "scary s_hit" favorite of alfalfa hay from some big rig crash the day before.

Driving at 7/10ths on a dry surface, twisty mountain road with a 500 foot-plus drop to the rocks on the passenger side and the C4S was more fun to push to 8/10ths. The C4S was like a creature from another planet of grip. Sometimes I would just get out and stare at the freaky thing. C4S's just STICK.

The only negative of the C4S for me was a heavier feel to the steering wheel AT SLOW SPEEDS... like below 25mph.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that comparison Johnny.

I love my 4S, and the way it drives, but I rarely see rain, I take the Cayenne to the snow, and haven't spent any seat time in a RWD S.

Aaron
Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Having driven an '05 C2S and an '06 C4S thousands of miles each over the exact same high mountain, twisty, undulating roads I have an interesting perspective.

The AWD 911 is much more confidence inspiring. The C2S would pitch the rear end out on off camber or undulating road right at the centrifugal peak. The C4S on the same road, same spot, same inputs, just would not let go.

On any given day at any given time I'd have to be ready for the extreme of flotsam and jetsam of road debris like grapenut sized berm grave, wet leaves in the shade, pine needles, and my all time "scary s_hit" favorite of alfalfa hay from some big rig crash the day before.

Driving at 7/10ths on a dry surface, twisty mountain road with a 500 foot-plus drop to the rocks on the passenger side and the C4S was more fun to push to 8/10ths. The C4S was like a creature from another planet of grip. Sometimes I would just get out and stare at the freaky thing. C4S's just STICK.

The only negative of the C4S for me was a heavier feel to the steering wheel AT SLOW SPEEDS... like below 25mph.
i won't disagree, i'll just give you an alternative interpretation of similar events. no intent to invalidate your opinion/experience.

have had a C4S, TT, GT-3, GT-3RS and now a C2S, all 997's. also a Cup, but that is an entirely different situation.

i think that the looser feeling you describe is an advantage since it allows me to rotate and manipulate the vehicle more easily. further, subtle differences in braking are more easily translated into tractional variations with the 2 vs. the the 4. finally, i really enjoy the lighter front end feel of the 2, which i tell myself i feel at speeds far in excess of 25 MPH.

YMMV
Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I personally like the more "mobile" rear of the RWD cars. My C4S indeed does understeer pretty bad at low speeds (I have to wind a lot more lock than expected), but I have never had it bind or do other things AWD cars supposedly do. It is pretty impressive since I rarely notice the AWD, but you can definitely feel the weight vs. the RWD cars.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Drove my Targa 4 at a skills event in the rain on the skid pad. Going round and round in the tight circle doing the 'throttle steer' exercise, and it was really hard to get the car to really break loose at all. When it finally did, it was very easy to catch and it never rotated around. With a base RWD variant, its much easier to rotate the car...so there is that basic stability in the wet that has value.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The 997.2 AWD system is much improved over previous models. On the track the car can be drive like a RWD model if PSM is off. I am looking forward to snow. The only downside is heavier steering - no big deal, the feel is still there although as Johhny observes it requires more effort at low speeds. One thiing I've noticed is that if you carry too much speed, the 4S tend to move sideways - equally front and rear whereas my RS steps the tail out.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and I will never purchase a 4 ever again. The 4 is less responsive under acceleration/braking and feels much heavier in the steering. If I lived in bad weather climate I would have another vehicle to abuse. My opinion.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The 997.2 AWD system is much improved over previous models. On the track the car can be drive like a RWD model if PSM is off. I am looking forward to snow. The only downside is heavier steering - no big deal, the feel is still there although as Johhny observes it requires more effort at low speeds. One thiing I've noticed is that if you carry too much speed, the 4S tend to move sideways - equally front and rear whereas my RS steps the tail out.
While it is a much different AWD system I can't really agree that it is improved. The old system is 5% front 95% rear. The old system really acts like a RWD car and you only sense the heavier steering while you still feel the car is RWD. The new AWD system sends much more power to the front all the time. It feels like the car power is neutral doesn't feel like its pulling nor being pushed. When I tested the new AWD system the car really didn't feel like it had more hp then RWD Cayman S I drove the same day.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

If you're going to drive in the deep stuff, get the AWD.
Case in point:

Quick Reply: Need user feedback on 911 AWD usefulness in non snowy conditions