PDK Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default PDK Tricks

Posted elsewhere - pulling the handbrake up one natch disables the AWD system on the AWD car.

All PDK - In auto mode, heel and toe works! While braking (needs to be strong braking) blip the gas pedal and the car will downshift.

Cool. Let's add tricks as we uncover them.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found that out the other night. actually on my C2S (at least in Sport mode) it didn't take much brake pressure at all.

however, after a moments thought i decided it was just as easy (nay, easier) to tap either button

i don't understand the difficulty with the buttons. early on, one one occasion i accidentally upshifted just pre-apex. oddly the car started to understeer. that made no sense to me, perhaps it was the "invisible hand" taking over?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Posted elsewhere - pulling the handbrake up one natch disables the AWD system on the AWD car.

All PDK - In auto mode, heel and toe works! While braking (needs to be strong braking) blip the gas pedal and the car will downshift.

Great post
Please can you tell if, from a standing point, with TC off, left foot on the brake, and right foot on throtle, when taking out the left foot, does the rear wheels spins? like if you drop the clucth while accelarating on a manual.
How about in second gear while rolling, is it possible to make the same thing, and have the rear wheels spining? Thanks in advance.

J.Seven
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Seven, I can't say. I'd guess that traction control and PSM would prevent wheel spin. Mine has Sport Plus with launch control which does not spin wheels while catapulting the car forward. In any case, I'd expect PDK to prevent clutch slipping to produce wheel spin if only to protect the clutch itself. Burnouts are tough on the drive-train and I don't plan to use launch control either
Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
peterm
Racer

launch control tires don't spin- just the heads of people around you as you blast off and you literally blast off- seems amazingly controlled and smooth- no shudder tire hop etc just scenery flying by and the neck snap with each gear change- you reallly don't get the perception of speed in this car but your gone!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Seven, I can't say. I'd guess that traction control and PSM would prevent wheel spin. Mine has Sport Plus with launch control which does not spin wheels while catapulting the car forward. In any case, I'd expect PDK to prevent clutch slipping to produce wheel spin if only to protect the clutch itself. Burnouts are tough on the drive-train and I don't plan to use launch control either
Well, I tried a 997S PDK, and with TC off, on a wide curve in second gear, I could spin the rear wheels just using the throtle and steering. Sliding the rear end is easy, but I wanted to know if it was possible to make it with left foot braking. Well, guess I will have to waite for my car to try this

J.Seven
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

With PSM Off you can spin the rears. Left foot braking is a question-mark. I'll try mine. On all Porsches with drive by wire (required for PSM) if you press the brakes for more than a second while you are pressing the throttle, the engine goes to idle - the car thinks you have a runaway engine! Have not tested my PDK to see if that's changed. It would be nice if it was ... but I doubt it. The only way to left foot brake is to release the gas, press the brake and then press the gas again. Not exactly ideal for what we want to do with left foot braking to balance the car.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a stupid question, but when I test drove a PDK the other week, I hit one of the buttons on the wheel while in auto and it went into manual. I had to switch it into manual and then back into auto to fix it. Is that how you have to do it or is there any other way? For example, I know on some MB's you can hold the upshift button for a few seconds and it goes back into auto.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

PDK will go to manual temporarily if you press the buttons on the wheel. Good for a quick downshift for instance. Wait a few seconds and it goes back to automatic unless you are cornering or climbing a hill. It is very smart!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK will go to manual temporarily if you press the buttons on the wheel. Good for a quick downshift for instance. Wait a few seconds and it goes back to automatic unless you are cornering or climbing a hill. It is very smart!
Thanks, guess I just didn't wait long enough.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

When I pull one notch up on the handbrake the brake light comes on in the dash. If I drive off would I get a warning message about the parking brake?

John
Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Apparently, the first notch will not activate the handbrake, but it will trigger the warning light - I suspect that circuit is what signals the fancy computer controlled clutches in the AWD system to disengage.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hehe I remember that one from the early days during the launch. I think it was a rennlister that spilled the beans.

I like the second one too...
Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll toss this out - probably everyone else knows, but my owner's manual didn't make it clear - I found it spelled out very well in some Tech document I downloaded:

Sport and Sport+ also work in manual - affects how aggressive the shift is. And its pretty cool. I stay in M/Sport most of the time.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Indeed, I like the ability to change shift aggressiveness in manual mode. Positive aspect.

Quick Reply: PDK Tricks