Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009 | 11:57 PM
serapis
AutoX

Default 997 S Performance Mods

I was wondering if anyone has installed the Sharkwerks RSS "Y" plenum and the Evo V-flow intake system on their 997S? I have an '05 S and am thinking about getting these. Just hoping for some imput from anyone that has experience with them. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009 | 12:02 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Previous thread full of wisdom.
Old 06-17-2009 | 02:21 AM
serapis
AutoX

Thanks, but that thread really didn't help much. A couple of people said the plenum was a wast of money. But what I'm looking for is someone with experience with the plenum and especially the EVO intake system.
Old 06-17-2009 | 04:32 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Get a aftermarket exhaust with, headers & hi flow cats..... then get plenum

The only way you can get power out of these cars is through better breathing.
Old 06-17-2009 | 12:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

More air in and more air out but you HAVE to do a proper ECU recalibration to feed the car more fuel to really have everything working together. However there is only so much you can do with this because the stock heads/valves will only flow so much so those need to be re-worked and you will need to change the cam too.

You can do headers, 200 cel cats, free flow mufflers, Evo intake and ECU but you still will not out run a 09 Carrera S rated at 385hp. Those mods get you a little hp/tq but not what you might think without going into the engine.
Old 06-17-2009 | 01:51 PM
mobonic
Drifting

I agree.

Header, Cats, muffler & Tune might get you 20-25 crank hp.

but nothing huge, or porsche would have done it.
Old 06-17-2009 | 05:35 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

^ ditto. those guys at porsche are pretty good at making the appropriate trade offs. plus, you can end up with significant warranty issues - but if it's on '05 this may not be a point here.

best mod for the car? porsche sport driving school.
Old 06-17-2009 | 11:54 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

evo intake really sounds great above 5k..rpm...mk
Old 06-18-2009 | 12:16 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't spend the extra money on the exhaust to gain extra HP, it doesn't justify itself. On the other hand, if you want to add the exhaust for a more aggressive sound I say go for it. I have been there and done that and let me tell you, you won't feel the difference. If you really want to feel a performance difference your money is well spent in doing some DE's, this is where you will really notice a difference; furthermore, you will become a better and safer driver.
Old 06-18-2009 | 12:18 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

You want more performance, get a Turbo... no comparison.
Old 06-18-2009 | 12:39 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

here's the reality (truth is a more exotic concept and beyond the scope of this Forum);

yes an engine is an "air pump". but don't let that fool you. it is an air pump from the front (the intake inlet) to the back (exhaust tip). it will only "pump" as fast as the choke point can pass. for most cars, this is the valves. this here air pump at 6000 rpm is cycling completely at 50 freaking times a second!!! passing, sit down here, 190 liters of air each tick.

don't know about you, but it boggles my mind.

the German elves have an enormous budget and have tested every freaking combination of size and length tube, inlet, outlet, injector and venturi you can imagine. they play with them on calibrated dynos, wind tunnels and tracks all day, all week (albeit a 34 hr week) all month and all year.

no wiseguy with a CNC and a garage has a chance of matching their facilities or expertise.

plus, they make it work; harmoniously, reliably and reproducibly in a way the "tuners" can only dream of.

in short, leave it the f*** alone. sad to say, YOU are the slowest moving part.

if you change on part in the chain, you (and your tuner Buddy) have no idea if you made it better, worse or about the same. human nature is to "feel" as though it's better. shop dynos lie, whether or not they are intentionally set up to do so.

take driving lessions, you will be MUCH faster and feel MUCH better since you can translate it to every car you'll ever drive.
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:38 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

For those of you who feel you didn't feel any difference in power with an exhaust system, are you talking just mufflers or a full setup. I have to say my car flat out screams and feels much more lively than a few 997S's I drove that were bone stock. I know when I did my cat after the headers and muffler install it definitely woke the car up. This has been proven time and time again that 200cpi cats will add quite a bit of power to these cars.

Dave
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:59 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
For those of you who feel you didn't feel any difference in power with an exhaust system, are you talking just mufflers or a full setup. I have to say my car flat out screams and feels much more lively than a few 997S's I drove that were bone stock. I know when I did my cat after the headers and muffler install it definitely woke the car up. This has been proven time and time again that 200cpi cats will add quite a bit of power to these cars.

Dave
I think you need to re-read Alegretto's well prosed thought on this subject, you may actually realize that what you feel is exactly that, a feeling. Adding intake/exhaust mods may, for the sake of argument, add 25 HP; however, do you really think you will feel that extra 25 HP on a vehicle that weighs more than 3300 lbs?
Old 06-18-2009 | 09:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I posted a couple of years ago about what I did on my 07C2S. X51 headers (Porsche OEM), AWE Cats, and the stock mufflers. Softronic flash. The car's performance on the track improved what I would call significantly (per traqmate data analysis). Sound was great, response of the engine improved, etc.

The thing about the 997.1 S is the headers were leftovers from the 996 and the tubing wasn't large enough. Solved on the Porsche X51 headers or on aftermarket. OEM cats are a big restriction.

If you do a search like "performance mods" I think you'll find dozens of threads we all created over the past several years that talk about plenums, intakes, headers, cats, mufflers, software, flywheels, etc.
Old 06-18-2009 | 01:38 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
here's the reality (truth is a more exotic concept and beyond the scope of this Forum);

yes an engine is an "air pump". but don't let that fool you. it is an air pump from the front (the intake inlet) to the back (exhaust tip). it will only "pump" as fast as the choke point can pass. for most cars, this is the valves. this here air pump at 6000 rpm is cycling completely at 50 freaking times a second!!! passing, sit down here, 190 liters of air each tick.

don't know about you, but it boggles my mind.

the German elves have an enormous budget and have tested every freaking combination of size and length tube, inlet, outlet, injector and venturi you can imagine. they play with them on calibrated dynos, wind tunnels and tracks all day, all week (albeit a 34 hr week) all month and all year.

no wiseguy with a CNC and a garage has a chance of matching their facilities or expertise.

plus, they make it work; harmoniously, reliably and reproducibly in a way the "tuners" can only dream of.

in short, leave it the f*** alone. sad to say, YOU are the slowest moving part.

if you change on part in the chain, you (and your tuner Buddy) have no idea if you made it better, worse or about the same. human nature is to "feel" as though it's better. shop dynos lie, whether or not they are intentionally set up to do so.

take driving lessions, you will be MUCH faster and feel MUCH better since you can translate it to every car you'll ever drive.
Well said!!

Originally Posted by russo
I think you need to re-read Alegretto's well prosed thought on this subject, you may actually realize that what you feel is exactly that, a feeling. Adding intake/exhaust mods may, for the sake of argument, add 25 HP; however, do you really think you will feel that extra 25 HP on a vehicle that weighs more than 3300 lbs?
Just to tag onto Russo's thoughts...that's 25hp at the crank, even less at the wheels.

Also when you monkey around with the system it's easy to trade a few extra HP for a net loss in torque.

Quick Reply: 997 S Performance Mods