Sponsored by:

Carrera Sport Wheel Curb Rash Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Carrera Sport Wheel Curb Rash Repair

Looking for experiences and information regarding curb rash repair of the polished & clear-coated metal rim portion of Carrera Sport wheels.

For reference:

Here's about the worst of the curb rash to be repaired:

I definitely would like to maintain the polished-metal rim, instead of using filler and silver rim paint.
Is there metal filler that can replace the removed metal, be sanded flush & clear-coated, to match the look of the existing polished-metal rim?
Any recommendations for a shop in SoCal to do the repair?
Any successful DIY experiences?

Thanks for any help in this regard.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Coincidentally, I just had one of my Carrera Sport wheels repaired last week and picked it up yesterday. It looks like new. They trimmed the rim on a lathe, and then re-clearcoated the rim. I'm having a second one done now that I know the first one turned out great.
Here is link to the place where I had it done (in Santa Ana).

http://www.wheel-repairs.com/
Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be the single clearest piece of evidence I have seen that Rennlist adds value. Is there nothing you Rennlisters don't know???
Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by slips2
Looking for experiences and information regarding curb rash repair of the polished & clear-coated metal rim portion of Carrera Sport wheels.

For reference:

Here's about the worst of the curb rash to be repaired:

I definitely would like to maintain the polished-metal rim, instead of using filler and silver rim paint.
Is there metal filler that can replace the removed metal, be sanded flush & clear-coated, to match the look of the existing polished-metal rim?
Any recommendations for a shop in SoCal to do the repair?
Any successful DIY experiences?

Thanks for any help in this regard.
Rob--Wheel Wizard 661-297-0369. Did a nice job on mine and they come to your place, though you may have to wait a bit to find out when he's going to be in your area. Also, pretty sure that Wheel Enhancement does this sort of thing as well?

HTH
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a mobile company that I used before and they can fix the wheel while it is still on the car.
Guys name is Jason Irby, owner of United Wheel Techs. He patented the equipment he uses and he will fix the rash and clear coat the repair. He has a custom made roller that spins the wheel while he is working on it. Last time I used him it was $90 per wheel. All the dealers use him. I specifically asked him about Carrera Sport wheels a few months back and he says he can fix those. His # is 714-608-2928 or 714-960-5994. He works in Orange County, California. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Yes, Wheel Enhancement will fix up stratched/dinged rims like new.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the mobile guys do a decent job but it's mostly grind, buff and airspray. depends on what you want.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent info.

No filler, it would never match the base metal. I found a highly-regarded shop nearby to turn the Sport wheel on a lathe to remove the rash, and polish. After new clear lacquer, it should be nearly as new in appearance.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
They say they remove the tire off the wheel and then repair the curb rash, then mount tire and balance. All for less than $100. Will probably drop off one of my wheels that has a slight curb rash.
Interesting. For the wheel I had to have turned and re-clearcoated, I paid more than $100, and they only had to remove my old tire without re-mounting or balancing it. It was less than $100 for the wheel that they didn't have to repaint since the rash was only on the very edge of the lip.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

All good info, thanks.

My guy is well-known, and highly-regarded in the Porsche community nationwide, for his Fuchs refinishing, bare & clear-coated metal is his specialty. The day I dropped-off the Sport wheel he had just finished jobs from Hawaii, Ohio, and Illinois. The VW guys recently had a sizeable car show at the old Lion Country Safari location near the Irvine Spectrum, and he was working-off the backlog of their work, again mostly Fuchs. An easy-going great guy, he has done the wheel and metal refinishing for the classic cars of ZZ-Top and Los Lobos - lots of chrome and polished metal. Not that it's a determining factor, but his prices are significantly lower than those quoted above for dismounting the tire, refinishing the metal, clear-coating, remounting and balancing. I pick-up tomorrow or first of next week, and will report on the results of his work.

Quick Reply: Carrera Sport Wheel Curb Rash Repair