Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttgart anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009 | 11:15 PM
triman
Track Day

Default Stuttgart anyone?

Hello, I am spending 10 days in Germany this July and am in the planning stages of my trip. Fly in/out of Frankfurt. Looking to go to Stuttgart for at least one day to see the porsche museum. Any activities, places I should put on my list? I would love to rent a p-car for a day or two to tool around the black forest. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

P-Museum
Factory tour
Weissach visit
Mercedes Museum
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:41 PM
peterm
Racer

black forset drive to baden baden stay at the bulherhohe fantastic views service- etc breakfast on the roof the next am unforgetable
Old 06-15-2009 | 12:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

That region of Germany is terrific. Perhaps you can drive south to Switzerland as well. I used to live near Stuttgart many years ago and would run down to Lake Constance for lunch on Sundays. It's not too far. This area (pictured) is also quite nice!
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:43 AM
programmatore
Drifting

I picked up my car from Stuttgart when I lived in Rome. Flew in to Frankfurt and took the train to Stuttgart then drove the car back to Italy. I did it over a weekend -- stopping in Munich the first night and Kitzbuhel (Austrian Alps) the next on my way to Rome. Munich is a nice blast down the Autobahn from Stuttgart if you fancy some Bavarian bier garten fun. ;-)

Have a nice trip!
Old 06-15-2009 | 09:56 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

You'll have a blast. I did a driving tour in the fall and was one of the best things I've ever done. Do a search on my name for a thread with pics of my trip.
Old 06-15-2009 | 12:10 PM
triman
Track Day

Is the factory tour open to the public? I have read some conflicting things online. Do I need to make reservations beforehand? thanks
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:25 PM
cmdrstask
Rennlist Member

Hofbräuhaus in Munich. The BMW museum is there as well if you like German cars in general.
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:43 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Scholossplatz for some tourist stuff. Tubingen, too, if you drive south on the Autobahn. Metzingen for the Hugo Boss factory outlet. Keep going south on the Autobahn for Singen--eat some fish or rent a sailboat. ;-) Good sushi (2nd floor) across from the train station if you keep going south into Zurich.

If you hangout around Stuttgart anyway, hit the back roads, using Ditzingen and Schwaebisch Hall as your centerpoints.

If you like Maltauschen, the best in Stuttgart is at the Mercedes factory in Boeblingen. Then walk pass the area where customers are united with their new autos. I get all misty-eyed just thinking about it. lol
:0)
Old 06-16-2009 | 05:45 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

PS The factory tour is boring. zzzz Get out and meet some people or let you new 997 have a special chat with the fine B-W roads.
Old 06-16-2009 | 08:22 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Do the Nurburgring as well.
Old 06-18-2009 | 04:37 PM
GrahamML
Intermediate

Best place to rent P-Cars is with Avis out of the FRA airport. Cars are only available on the German Web Site - http://www.avis.de/FahrzeugeundServi...Flotte/Porsche for 199Euro a day, it is a no-brainer.

Saw the museum the first week it opened, well worth it.

Nordschleife is also well worth the trip in the P-car. I would avoid Fri - Sun though. It is not you, but the other nuts on the track that would concern me in a Avis rental.

The MB museum is also worth seeing. The history of cars there is second to none.
Old 06-18-2009 | 08:00 PM
triman
Track Day

Wow great website for the porsche rental. Thanks.... You just saved me some major euros!!
Old 06-19-2009 | 05:52 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Do a search as this topic as been bludgeoned to death here on Rennlist.

Build your priorities in what matters to you during your visit. What things other than 'automotive' do you wish to see during your stay?

Stuttgart to Nuerburgring is 3-3.5 hrs, Frankfurt to the 'Ring 2 hrs, Frankfurt to Stuttgart 2 hrs, Stuttgart to Konstance 2 hrs. These are all nice places to visit to do something but given 10 days and a ton of stuff to see already can make it hard to cram everything. The roads are all fudged up anyways from Frankfurt to Stuttgart and everywhere between. Some major work going on between Stuttgart and Munich as well so plan for 'stau' or traffic to occur out of no where a lot.

Also July/August is high time for vacationers here in Germany so be aware the roads will be jammed with not only the Germany but Belgians, Dutch, Czech, Polish and even the French...to name a few.

If you really fancy a drive on the 'Ring do it in a proper car: http://www.rsrnurburg.com/
Driving your Avis rental is asking a bit much on the risk factor if you don't want to buy a new Porsche

Quick Reply: Stuttgart anyone?