Sponsored by:

two words: valet parking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vigilante architect View Post
If my girlfriend wants to go out she gets Del Taco, I go through the drive-thru and she has to order off the 49-cent menu, problem solved.

win
Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

so just to give everyone an update on the 997S with aerokit in question -- i'm taking it to finish line collision in philadelphia tomorrow for an estimate.

i spoke to the owner of the parking service again today. he had had a "conference" with the valet in question and was adamant that the guy is honest and "couldn't possibly have caused this."

if anyone else out there has an aerokit car or has a GT3 you know that you don't scrape it and not feel it and hear it.

i'm with everyone who has posted. i will never (ever) valet this car again. it is going to be a hassle to get $$$ out of this guy and i may end up in court -- which will do reluctantly if necessary just so the guy hesitates next time he gets a nice car pulling up.

i never want to be that guy who has a garage queen that he never takes anywhere for fear of dinging it. we were going to a nice dinner for F's sakes. i wanted to take the lovely p-car. i will again. but i will continue my old practices of driving around for a long time finding that perfect spot and parking it myself.

perhaps i'll end up being the guy who pulls 4 tall cones out of the boot and strategically positioning them around the car...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

We send all our cars to Finish Line, they're excellent
Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinnywhite
LOLOLOL

you know. the cliche joke of course is always that the Porsche is "the mistress." here is a picture from the fateful night in the restaurant just moments before i go outside to my other girlfriend to find the front all scratched up.

just the other night we went to see star trek, and she of course insists on the heels, and i park WAY out there so i don't have to get dinged.

bottom line? i love her. both my wife, and my porsche. i would sheepishly have to admit equal parts. luckily i don't think she knows rennlist exists.
Seriously if I had to choose between my Porsche and your girl (or my girl) it would be a no brainer. I would crash the Porsche into a brick wall if she asked me to.

Folks it is just a friggin car and if you place more value on that than you do on your relationships then you don't deserve either.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Seriously if I had to choose between my Porsche and your girl (or my girl) it would be a no brainer. I would crash the Porsche into a brick wall if she asked me to.

Folks it is just a friggin car and if you place more value on that than you do on your relationships then you don't deserve either.
+1

The day I start placing more value on a car than I do with my personal relationships, I'll voluntarily give up the car.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnywhite
so just to give everyone an update on the 997S with aerokit in question -- i'm taking it to finish line collision in philadelphia tomorrow for an estimate.

i spoke to the owner of the parking service again today. he had had a "conference" with the valet in question and was adamant that the guy is honest and "couldn't possibly have caused this."

if anyone else out there has an aerokit car or has a GT3 you know that you don't scrape it and not feel it and hear it.

i'm with everyone who has posted. i will never (ever) valet this car again. it is going to be a hassle to get $$$ out of this guy and i may end up in court -- which will do reluctantly if necessary just so the guy hesitates next time he gets a nice car pulling up.

i never want to be that guy who has a garage queen that he never takes anywhere for fear of dinging it. we were going to a nice dinner for F's sakes. i wanted to take the lovely p-car. i will again. but i will continue my old practices of driving around for a long time finding that perfect spot and parking it myself.

perhaps i'll end up being the guy who pulls 4 tall cones out of the boot and strategically positioning them around the car...

How much $'s in damage are you talking about? What do you think a court is going to do for you besides cost you money?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How realistic is it that your S/O would ask you to crash your Porsche into a wall?
I would think that there is something atypical with your relationship is this were to come up.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
How much $'s in damage are you talking about? What do you think a court is going to do for you besides cost you money?
This is one point that we can agree on.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
I refuse to valet my cars. No exceptions.
I can't buy a new one.
no exceptions
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm

His advice: "When you pull up, say, 'Hey Man, I'll take care of you...would you mind if I parked it myself?" Most of the time, Valets should oblige.

I think the key is, "I'll take care of you." At the end of the day, that's what is most important to people for whom tips are a component of their income.

No one has said "no" yet to my request...but, if they do--I'm outta there.
This is GREAT advice, and is EXACTLY what I do!!!!!

I tell them I want to park my car, I want to park it where it does not have to be moved (I keep the key), and I will leave them a very nice tip.

I have never been refused, but if I were to be, I would simply find a parking place somewhere else.

Often times, they even direct me to a place right in front..like a few feet away.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I don't know who here is choosing his car over his woman. I only see frustration (well justified) over a valet's careless treatment of one's car. If there isn't an emotional connection to our P-car, then why are we all posting on an online car forum? Heck, I fret over my favorite sports team losing, does that automatically mean I value my relationships less? Give me a break, you guys need to chill out with your nonchalant pretense.

If your girl actually asks you to crash your P-car into a brick wall, then you definitely need to make better choices on whom you're with.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
This is GREAT advice, and is EXACTLY what I do!!!!!

I tell them I want to park my car, I want to park it where it does not have to be moved (I keep the key), and I will leave them a very nice tip.
It's a pretty good strategy. Though I think tipping in advance - slipping them a 10 or a 20 while you're asking for their permission - will sit better with them and not leave them wondering if all you're gonna tip them afterwards is a measley 2 bucks. They may likely watch over your car more carefully, and that's really what you're buying when you tip them in advance - to watch your car for you. They may even think you'll tip them again once you leave. But I wouldn't.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's a pretty good strategy. Though I think tipping in advance - slipping them a 10 or a 20 while you're asking for their permission - will sit better with them and not leave them wondering if all you're gonna tip them afterwards is a measley 2 bucks. They may likely watch over your car more carefully, and that's really what you're buying when you tip them in advance - to watch your car for you. They may even think you'll tip them again once you leave. But I wouldn't.
Yes, tipping in advance would probably be better. I'll try that next time.

I usually ask them when they are leaving their shift, then let them know I'll be returning before that time.

Typically a dinner takes an hour or two, but these guys are there most of the night.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops! Forgot to mention WHEN I tip...Yes--I tip immediately after I park my car...and I do not tip again when I leave...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fred2
How realistic is it that your S/O would ask you to crash your Porsche into a wall?
I would think that there is something atypical with your relationship is this were to come up.
Yes, I would imagine she would only do this if 1) your life insurance policy were paid up and 2) she was the beneficiary.

But seriously I used that example to make the point (as hyperbole) that my personal relationships are far more important than any material object (no matter how much I may be attached to them).

Quick Reply: two words: valet parking...