Sponsored by:

two words: valet parking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
Frustrating. i had a valet back into my 997 and push in the nose with a trailer hitch - didn't even let them park it but they found it anyway~!! it had 700mi on it.

i just got my car keyed last week after 10 minutes in best buy. $1601 to repair the front bumper. the key mark is 36". alas, it happens.

can i ask, are you having the valet insurance pay for it? be prepared to have a nominal 'argument' with them about how much to pay, etc but you'll win in the end.

also, IMO making the restaurant aware is a good thing to. they can apply pressure on the valet company and you should be good as new before you know it.

good luck!
I really don't understand this whole "keying"-people's-car thing. Does it really make them feel _that_ much better to do such stupid and idiotic thing?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I only frequent one place in town with valet parking. They know me now, so when I pull in, I park the car, keep the keys, and give them a few bucks to watch over the car. I won't leave keys...
OT

Dan, I love that top pic of your car in that garage! That blue is just prefect in that monotone background with a hint of the red pipes going across the ceiling. Just perfect!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebmd
Some twenty or more summers ago i was a valet at a four star hotel in suburban new jersey. I was a throttle jockey and loved the chance to drive every marque. The clientele cars were typically mercedes, bmw, saab and the occasional Jag. I was the only guy on my shift who had a functional left foot, and got the ferrari and porsches to drive.

One sunday morning, around Brunch time, a fella pulls up in his brand new metallic gold 7 series bimmer. He hands me a finsky and says "take care of my baby". Immediately behind him, an identical car pulls up. My co worker gets that one. We were parking cars that 97 degree day in an underground lot. I pulled out and went down the ramp. My coworker unbeknownst to be took a shortcut down a oneway the wrong way. I am cruising down the chute towards the spots at the end of the garage. Suddenly, a gold flash shoots out from right to left in front of me and.....BAAMMMM. we t-bone and spin out into one of the concrete posts. Totalled both. Fired on the spot....at least i did not have to explain it to the owners. I have vowed to never valet after that summer. Luckily the hotel was owned by a large insurance company and the owners were taken care of....
SO - THAT WAS YOU!!!

only kidding
Old 06-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
This seems a logical question to ask from a non-US dweller (we don't have valet parking here in poor England); if you are going out somewhere and you know parking may be an issue, why not take another car?
In reality - that's what I do. If I don't know the parking situation, I take something else.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your story is my worst nightmare come true and you have my sympathies. I just drop my wife off in front and then go find the "worlds greatest parking space", preferably on an uninhabited planet, but normally and end spot where I can park out on the edge away from the next spot over. I try not to park way out because invariably someone will park next to you anyway.
As for those who have had there cars keyed , I assume that the type off low life that would do that to any car would go out of their way to find our cars so there is no perfect parking space (other than the one on the uninhabited planet I always search for). Good news is a good paint and body shop can erase your pain and you can upgrade to a GT3 front bumper if you've a mind to.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:44 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When it comes to Porsche and how/when/where to drive it-----don't ever listen to your wife. Ever.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
how bout this one?

"its only a car"

I will be valeting my car tonight in downtown Philly, 2009 Carrera S Cab
For those of us that have earned the funds and privilege (Through honest hard work, not Wall street) to purchase a special automobile, this statement is offensive.

There IS a reason that the Porcupine joke is so well known in the Porsche community.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
For those of us that have earned the funds and privilege (Through honest hard work, not Wall street) to purchase a special automobile, this statement is offensive.

There IS a reason that the Porcupine joke is so well known in the Porsche community.
Maybe it's just me, but your post is not making any sense here.

I think I got this part, that this statement, "it's only a car," is offensive to you and those who apparently think it's more than just a car.

Now what did you mean by: "There IS a reason that the Porcupine joke is so well known in the Porsche community"?

It sounds like you are you saying that those who think it's more than just a car end up being ****** precisely because they think it's more than just a car and act like it's more than just a car and place undue value on it, thus earning that particular reputation you speak of.

So you are calling anyone who thinks it's more than just a car a *****?

Because someone who thinks it's only a car will not likely end up being a ***** on that account, since he doesn't place any undue value on it other than it being a vehicle for transportation.

Was just wondering what you meant, that's all.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

+1 OCBen

Oh, and it IS just a car.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

(Through honest hard work, not Wall street)
Hey you know what, that statement is offensive too.

Plenty of people on wall street are honest and hard working.

Don't **** on someone else's career choice while claiming to be offended by someone calling porsche just a car.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

It’s not meant to be offensive I guess when you've been around the block a few times and you've lost things more important to you than a car it puts things in different perspective.

ITs only a car in my book, do I want it abused or harmed? Of course not but such is life.

As far as how I made my money working on Wall St. LOL I have a boring old BS degree from a decent school, and I worked my *** off up through the food chain to get where I am and afford what I can, there were no short cuts and I would be happy to put the numbers of hours I have worked up to anyone. For 16 years on the floor I had no clients I was a prop trader and have a 100% perfect record with all three exchanges where I was a member and I have been audited by the SEC many times and never once had any issue.

Just because my perspective is different than yours does not make one better than the other.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any car is just a car. They have no feelings, they are inanimate objects unless they are driven. While they have no emotions, they do elicit strong feelings and emotion from the drivers. But at the end of the day, cars are not your family members, pets, or friends. Health and happiness are most important in life. A porsche, aside from protecting you in an accident will not improve your physical well being. Mental well being is another story. While a paint scar or a total loss, be happy for your health and family. The rest is gravy.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
1. porsche is not JUST a car. it's a religion; i bow in the direction of my garage 3x a day.
4. NEVER valet. not only do they failed to park well, joy rides, they expect to be tipped.... sorry, i do not tip ppl who have the joy of touching my cars. it's not that i drive $ cars, i wont let valet park my civic or bicycle. i dont let others valet my wife, so i dont let others valet my car either. simple logic.
Hell yeah, I like the way you think, mooty.

+1 billion!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by vigilante architect
If my girlfriend wants to go out she gets Del Taco, I go through the drive-thru and she has to order off the 49-cent menu, problem solved.
I like your style
Old 06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to sit across the aisle from a guy during a flight who owns a Valet service here in SoCal. Asked for his advice on how to handle the Valet issue: "While I know I don't have the fanciest/most exotic vehicle around (particularly in CA!)--and don't want to come off as pretentious, etc. (not that I'm particularly consumed with what people think)--How do I handle the fact that I'd like to keep my ding and scratch-free vehicle, ding and scratch-free?"

His advice: "When you pull up, say, 'Hey Man, I'll take care of you...would you mind if I parked it myself?" Most of the time, Valets should oblige.

I think the key is, "I'll take care of you." At the end of the day, that's what is most important to people for whom tips are a component of their income.

No one has said "no" yet to my request...but, if they do--I'm outta there.

Oh, and for the heck of it:
I think that perhaps the line, "It's just a car" implies to some that it is a hunk of metal--a simple mode of transportation...disposable, even. The visceral, emotional reaction felt by many in response to this phrase, perhaps, is that if we all had that view, we could simply drive "regular" autos that meet our needs and fulfill the elementary task of getting from point A to point B.
But, for most of us, the reason we choose to spend more money on a car (Porsche, in this case) is that it brings additional value to us beyond the A to B need. Therefore, it becomes elevated in stature in our minds (and hearts) because of the intangibles it brings us. It is likely the thought of discarding those intangibles--or acknowledging that they are somehow disposable, or unimportant--that makes acceptance of the line, "it's just a car" difficult.

While I personally feel my connection and enjoyment of my Porsche goes beyond "it's just a car" (note above mention of ding and scratch-free)--it doesn't mean I place it on parallel or above relationships, or health, etc.
(I believe this response may be OCBen-worthy in its level of analysis and thought? I sit humbly in anticipation of any feedback or additional thoughts!)

Quick Reply: two words: valet parking...