Sponsored by:

two words: valet parking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:06 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two words: valet parking...

no doubt many of you will think i got exactly what i deserved. but i must post here seeking commiseration. the other night we pulled up to a restaurant in downtown philadelphia, my wife complains in anticipation over my neurotic seeking of the perfect parking lot with a place i can position my car away from everyone etc. etc.

i fatefully decide to hand over my 997S with factory aerokit with a perfect unscratched front air dam to the valet after giving specific instructions blah blah blah

it comes back with the front air dam completely hammered. oh the humanity.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Good thing its just a car and you can have it fixed!!
Old 06-06-2009, 01:19 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

Default you're absolutely right

it is just a car. it can be fixed. but on my second porsche and after a lifetime of car worship it is just a serious painful thing when you go to the great lengths of keeping those low air dams out of trouble.

i saw that the new GT3's will have some sort of hydraulic ability to lift the front end to get over steeper angles or driveways. i can't afford an old GT3 much less a new one. but i'm glad our german friends see the need...
Old 06-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Where'd you eat in town?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frustrating. i had a valet back into my 997 and push in the nose with a trailer hitch - didn't even let them park it but they found it anyway~!! it had 700mi on it.

i just got my car keyed last week after 10 minutes in best buy. $1601 to repair the front bumper. the key mark is 36". alas, it happens.

can i ask, are you having the valet insurance pay for it? be prepared to have a nominal 'argument' with them about how much to pay, etc but you'll win in the end.

also, IMO making the restaurant aware is a good thing to. they can apply pressure on the valet company and you should be good as new before you know it.

good luck!
Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

I refuse to valet my cars. No exceptions.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 PM
BigDouggieDoug
Instructor

Been a victim (with other vehicles). Understand your frustrations.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:43 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

trader220: i ate at butcher & singer with some friends in town for the big scientific conference -- it was wet and my wife who is only partially bemused with my fixation on cars was not in the mood for a delay

brendorenn: so sorry to hear about your car being keyed, bro. i think there is a reaction to porsches amongst some. i'll admit i had the stereotype before i bought my first cayman 3 years ago. thinking porsche drivers are all rich ********. i was pleasently surprised at my first PCA event at how down to earth and great folks. i did let the restaurant know and in fact that was the only point the owner ever returned my calls. he is allowing me to have it fixed at a porsche authorized body shop

ADias -- i will never ever ever valet again. ever.

BigDouggieDoug -- thanks for the shout. so sad for a thing this beautiful to get mistreated.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:47 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Keep the car, dump the wife. Or if that does not work for you, have her meet you there.

...my wife complains in anticipation over my neurotic seeking of the perfect parking lot with a place i can position my car away from everyone etc. etc...
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
skinnywhite
Intermediate

LOLOLOL

you know. the cliche joke of course is always that the Porsche is "the mistress." here is a picture from the fateful night in the restaurant just moments before i go outside to my other girlfriend to find the front all scratched up.

just the other night we went to see star trek, and she of course insists on the heels, and i park WAY out there so i don't have to get dinged.

bottom line? i love her. both my wife, and my porsche. i would sheepishly have to admit equal parts. luckily i don't think she knows rennlist exists.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:21 PM
camhabib
Instructor

I'm personally more afraid of them taking the car for a joy ride then I am having them scratch it up. Scratches and dents can easily be fixed most times, but a ruined engine or tranny - not so much. I have used valet twice in my life - the first time I was in a rush and had a free coupon, and the car came back with ink on the seats, the second time everything went fine except for about 8-10 extra miles on the car.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnywhite
it is just a car. it can be fixed. but on my second porsche and after a lifetime of car worship it is just a serious painful thing when you go to the great lengths of keeping those low air dams out of trouble.

i saw that the new GT3's will have some sort of hydraulic ability to lift the front end to get over steeper angles or driveways. i can't afford an old GT3 much less a new one. but i'm glad our german friends see the need...
FYI...The hydraulic front end lift is avail from Cargraphic as an aftermarket add on. Check GMG's website for more info./video
Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I refuse to valet my cars. No exceptions.
+10.

If required, I'll pass on that eatery. Screw 'em. I park it myself, or take a different vehicle.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Good thing its just a car!!
I hate this phrase.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I refuse to leave my car with valets! When necessary to park in the valet section, I do try to buy my way into a choice spot and park it myself.

My wife hates valets too, after she got ripped off by valets at a nice restaurant.

Quick Reply: two words: valet parking...