Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous countryside.

There is just something special about looking over
the nose of a 997.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

perfect! I plan on taking the long way home every day! How's the car so far? Does it meet or exceed your expectations?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car does what you ask of it. Its an amazing car that has a feel of nothing else on the road. Brake and the accelerator pedals are perfectly positioned for my body habitus. I am 6'3" 200lbs and still have a plenty of headroom and legroom. It has the power that i felt was lacking in the 2002 996 c2. Ride is firm and direct. In the PASM sport mode, going over uneven surfaces will make you wince. The car has a feel of a gocart. My only dissatisfaction is the lack luster stereo. I wouldn't categorize myself as an audiophile but I do appreciate music. I don't expect perfect imaging and detail from a car stereo. I do however expect at least a clear crisp notes that you can expect from a 6 inch speaker. You don't get that from Porsche. Sure... the engine note is a music itself but a decent stereo would be nice.

Overall, driving this beauty puts a smile on my face.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kimf70

[snip]

My only dissatisfaction is the lack luster stereo. I wouldn't categorize myself as an audiophile but I do appreciate music. I don't expect perfect imaging and detail from a car stereo. I do however expect at least a clear crisp notes that you can expect from a 6 inch speaker. You don't get that from Porsche. Sure... the engine note is a music itself but a decent stereo would be nice.

Overall, driving this beauty puts a smile on my face.
My last car is a 2007 C2S, and the bose stereo is really muddy. I turned off the surround mode and move the fader a bit forward, and I found it improves the high frequency a bit.

The bose on 2009 has made a major improvement in terms of imaging and tone frequency, though.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2009 sound quality is head and shoulders above my 07 Cayman and 03 M3 I used to have.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Likewise, I have racked up 2.5 k miles since getting my car 6 weeks ago. In my case, all of my drives involve the longest route. Too bad I live in a very flat part of the country.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 AM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russo.
You have already broken in the engine. Good for you. Keeping the RPM at bay is difficult. I plan on putting alot more miles on it this weekend. I now have alittle over 400 miles on it. Oh... My wife is having a girls' night out on Friday and she plans on taking the C2S. What i really want to tell her is. Instead I say, ofcourse honey. Drive safely What I truly feel inside is .
Old 06-05-2009, 05:23 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
My last car is a 2007 C2S, and the bose stereo is really muddy. I turned off the surround mode and move the fader a bit forward, and I found it improves the high frequency a bit.

The bose on 2009 has made a major improvement in terms of imaging and tone frequency, though.
Still not sure I'm loving the Bose. I remember a 1987 Maxima I rented that had an excellent Bose system in it - I got some deja vu today. Surely 22 years later this system is better - I hope so.

The Surround setting seems to smear things too much and leaves the center sort of swishy. The 911 Brochure says "...play CDs...in one of the surround modes generated by Centerpoint...". I have not found any "modes" - just a surround on/off setting. Maybe I need to poke around the menus more or maybe that feature didn't make it to production.

DVD Audio in 5.1 though sounds pretty great - but not a lot of DVDAs out there. DVDAs I have made myself, so far, don't play - need to look into that more.

Also not sold on AudioPilot yet. Seems to do strange things - I have shut that down too for the moment, until I get more used to the basic sound.

Linear seems nice - I like that option. Seems to clean up the bass.

My last car stereo was the Logic7 in a BMW 550i - that was a really fine sounding setup - generated surround was very good and the graphic EQ let me dial in the sound perfectly.

The 2009 911 brochure says "...the Bose Surround Sound system offers a comprehensive selection of equalizer presets..." I have yet to discover these - I'm starting to think it is an error in either the brochure or the PCM software.

I am trying to reserve judgement on the Bose until I get used to it. I need along road trip to really ring it out.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the one thing I will really miss about the M would be the Logic 7...truly great stereo, top up/down. Even the Mark Levinson system in my GX isn't as good!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

The Harmon Kardon unit in my 08 Range Rover Sport is
by far the greatest sounding and well balanced stereo
I have experienced in a car or truck.
BOSE is way over-rated.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DRJMK
the one thing I will really miss about the M would be the Logic 7...truly great stereo, top up/down. Even the Mark Levinson system in my GX isn't as good!
Yes, my only complaint about the Logic7 would be that...it didn't come with a Porsche.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
The Harmon Kardon unit in my 08 Range Rover Sport is
by far the greatest sounding and well balanced stereo
I have experienced in a car or truck.
BOSE is way over-rated.
I agree with many Bose systems being over-rated. The name means nothing if the entire system isn't properly engineered for the specific vehicle. The HK in my C55AMG was also over-rated in my opinion. I think a lot has to do with speaker placement for each car. I once had a 94 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon that had the best sound system of any car I've owned. The mid-range speakers were mounted high on the doors rather than low, allowing better sound distribution. The imaging and frequency response was wonderful.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I agree with many Bose systems being over-rated. The name means nothing if the entire system isn't properly engineered for the specific vehicle. The HK in my C55AMG was also over-rated in my opinion. I think a lot has to do with speaker placement for each car. I once had a 94 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon that had the best sound system of any car I've owned. The mid-range speakers were mounted high on the doors rather than low, allowing better sound distribution. The imaging and frequency response was wonderful.
I do agree. The speaker positioning makes an enormous difference.
I think and SUV is better than a coupe (because of the added space)
to tweek the accoustics and speaker locations.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Those Surround Modes and EQ Presets they mention in the Brochure simply don't exist - or they are incredibly well hidden from mere mortals. Maybe a software update down the road will add them.

Quick Reply: Took the long way home