Sponsored by:

Dynamic Turning Lights Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I like them alot. Both my other cars have them (BMW X5 4.8is, BMW 335i)
and they are REALLY nice in a neighborhood- a life saver.

I hate to disagree with my esteemed RL member Tony, but I usuallly dont use
my car on the track at night, so the whole headlight system, it could be argued, is not
needed on a sports car.

When I go to international or national technical meetings, everyone is presenting white papers.
I have done this on occasion. You have the time allotted light bar. Well when its yellow and you are done- time for questions. This has never happened to me, but I cringe when I hear
" I hate to disagree with my Esteemed colleague BUT......" Then you get dragged over the coals
with questions like "how do you justify your numbers in the 2nd column" or "your numbers on the 2nd chart are not really world" "How can you say this is 'Real World....'"

No matter how well you hide your weakest part of your paper, someone is going to find it and GRILL you on it.

Hi Paul! LOL.

Like anything it's an option and choice is good. I would hate though if it was std as I do not need them. As Dan says, the bi-xenons have a wide illumination pattern.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the feature... it my terrain, it provides better illumination. In flatter, straighter-roaded places, there's not much benefit. I could live without it, but then, I could live without the rear socalled seats as well and would prefer a better configured backside luggage space with locking storage from the factory there. I'd fix that before worrying about dynamic cornering lights.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife has it on her car, can be strange at time as the lights are looking where I'm turning as opposed to where I am accustomed to seeing light. The one nice feature is the dedicated turn lights that light up either side when making tight turns, like onto a street.

Nay to ever paying for that feature or desiring it on a Porsche.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I like them alot. Both my other cars have them (BMW X5 4.8is, BMW 335i) and they are REALLY nice in a neighborhood- a life saver.

[...]
When I go to international or national technical meetings, everyone is presenting white papers.
I have done this on occasion. You have the time allotted light bar. Well when its yellow and you are done- time for questions. This has never happened to me, but I cringe when I hear
" I hate to disagree with my Esteemed colleague BUT......" Then you get dragged over the coals
with questions like "how do you justify your numbers in the 2nd column" or "your numbers on the 2nd chart are not really world" "How can you say this is 'Real World....'"
Well, yes, of course. But are you old enough, Old Guy? Old enough to remember being in the audience when we did not have the timing lights? Do we have a little shudder icon?

Put me down as nay, but not fervently so. Could be useful on some drives here in the high desert, but we had a choice of two examples. The other one had cooled seats and turning lights. It was black, which up here where OldGuy and I live is a lifestyle choice, not a color. So you can judge the intensity of my desire for turning lights when I say we chose the silver example. Even the cooled seats couldn't persuade me.

Gary
Who still thinks a black 911 is ****-elegant
as long as somebody else washes it
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiq
so if the lights turn when the wheel turns, havent you already made your decision to go wherever the lights are now looking?
You missed the best post !!!!

Thought-driven lighting!

"Officer....I realize I hit the wall, but I was Thinking about turning right, (well, actually I thought a saw a hot babe on the right) so my lights instantly all pointed right, I couldn't see straight ahead and ran into the wall.

It's not my fault!"
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

As others have suggested--one more thing to break.

This reminds me of decades ago where I HAD to have that silly sealed beam stuff on my 911S when I took delivery of my car over there. I felt so UNSAFE at even lower autobahn speeds at night, while the Europeans could drive around with their H4 and H1 headlights--far superior. I am a big fan of the basic BiXenons that we get on these thing. To be truthful, I have not driven a 997 with the new dynamics lights so I can't give a proper, qualified answer.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Turning Lights Yay or Nay