Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Sharkwerks Primary Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009 | 09:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Default 997.2 Sharkwerks Primary Bypass

The Sharkwerks primary bypass went on at 2100 miles after the break-in. Was fairly sedate at first, but 2 days at the track and some use of the higher RPM band and engine in general really transformed the sound. At the end of day 2 I had a couple of guys come find me in the South Paddock just to find out what I had "inside her". I explained the car was 100% stock with the exception of the Sharkwerks Primary Bypass. They heard me on the track and wanted to hear it at idle and w/ variable throttle. So, I gave them a demo and I saw smiles in the rear-view mirror.

The beauty is I can drive in my neighborhood without getting those disapproving looks, but once I use some throttle, the personality changes nicely. Zero drone, no negative side effects, but if your smile lasts longer than 4 hours you should see your doctor...

Quick in-car Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ2XXqArG8

Basically, engine was super strong, smooth, and revved easier than I remember my 07. New Sport PASM was fantastic - much better than I expected, especially when on Sport (tried normal first, then sport). Brakes were fine and I wonder if the added cooling of the new front design helped. Had some issues with the e-gas / throttle linkage being "slow" to respond. Had to change my Heel / Toe a bit.

Complete track write-up and photos here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ll-course.html
Old 06-01-2009 | 09:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

This weekend at my track event there was a Tubi system and a Sharkwerks crossover center muffler delete. Both cars were 09 Carrera S. The Sharkwerks is still very sedate in sound....not loud at all. As I stood at the start finish line the car with the sharkwerks system would come by and it did not sound much louder than stock...just a little bit more sound.
The Tubi system had the center muffler delete with the Tubi side mufflers. This system was a little louder, gave off a euro type if higher pitch but was not overly loud at all. Both these 09's were pitted right by me and at idle through the pits and under part throttle down pit lane bother sounds better than stock but not overly loud at all.
I have the Fabspeed side muffler delete pipes on my 09. I just use the center muffler. the exhaust routing is much like a cup car. The sound is much louder than both the Sharkwerks and Tubi. I do have a drone at 2000-2400rpm. At 4000rpm and above the sound is intoxicating and I always get lots of complements on the sound from other at the track. For everyday dailey driver use this system would be too loud for 99% of the people on this forum. I am more of a 1%'r anyway, and I do drive the car on the street every week and all weekend.
Old 06-01-2009 | 04:43 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=RonCT;6612694]The Sharkwerks primary bypass went on at 2100 miles after the break-in. Was fairly sedate at first, but 2 days at the track and some use of the higher RPM band and engine in general really transformed the sound. At the end of day 2 I had a couple of guys come find me in the South Paddock just to find out what I had "inside her". I explained the car was 100% stock with the exception of the Sharkwerks Primary Bypass. They heard me on the track and wanted to hear it at idle and w/ variable throttle. So, I gave them a demo and I saw smiles in the rear-view mirror.

I am surprised to hear that. I can understand that if it were a new muffler and there is baffle inside, but in this case, its just a straight pipe, so why would " breaking in" make the whole system louder?

Just curious. I have the same setup and am very happy with it. I wouldn't mind it if it were to happen though.
Old 06-01-2009 | 05:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

It has nothing to do with the bypass, everything to do with the engine and mufflers finally getting through break in.
Old 06-01-2009 | 11:33 PM
kimf70
Rennlist Member

Great Track! I am jealous.
Great video and Great Driving!
Old 06-03-2009 | 02:09 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RonCT
The Sharkwerks primary bypass went on at 2100 miles after the break-in. Was fairly sedate at first, but 2 days at the track and some use of the higher RPM band and engine in general really transformed the sound. At the end of day 2 I had a couple of guys come find me in the South Paddock just to find out what I had "inside her". I explained the car was 100% stock with the exception of the Sharkwerks Primary Bypass. They heard me on the track and wanted to hear it at idle and w/ variable throttle. So, I gave them a demo and I saw smiles in the rear-view mirror.

The beauty is I can drive in my neighborhood without getting those disapproving looks, but once I use some throttle, the personality changes nicely. Zero drone, no negative side effects, but if your smile lasts longer than 4 hours you should see your doctor...

Quick in-car Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ2XXqArG8

Basically, engine was super strong, smooth, and revved easier than I remember my 07. New Sport PASM was fantastic - much better than I expected, especially when on Sport (tried normal first, then sport). Brakes were fine and I wonder if the added cooling of the new front design helped. Had some issues with the e-gas / throttle linkage being "slow" to respond. Had to change my Heel / Toe a bit.

Complete track write-up and photos here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ll-course.html
Thanks so much for the feedback Ron and so glad you've got some miles on her. Glad you like it and we do what we can for the Neighborhood heh...

The sport PASM is so much better than the Gen1 PASM it's not even funny!

+1 on the side mufflers getting broken in and becoming a bit louder after a few miles.
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Terrence;6614106
I am surprised to hear that. I can understand that if it were a new muffler and there is baffle inside, but in this case, its just a straight pipe, so why would " breaking in" make the whole system louder?

Just curious. I have the same setup and am very happy with it. I wouldn't mind it if it were to happen though. [/QUOTE]

You generally find that the exhaust note deepens once the exhaust carbons up. I recently had a striaght thru system done on a non P turbo vehicle. Sounded slightly louder than stock initially, but after a week it had developed into a really deep, aggresive tone.... Sounds great now....
Old 06-11-2009 | 04:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Ron - Thanks for the review. I am driving out in August and one of my stops in CA is too see Alex and the lads at Sharkwerks. Right now, I'm pretty much set on the bypass and a reflash, but I was considering a full exhaust. Doesn't sound (pun intended) like I need all that...

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2009 | 12:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Chris, at my last Sebring track event a guy had a 09 C2s with the Sharkwerks by pass. I turned him onto Sharkwerks and he is over on 6speed and goes by The Greek if you want to contact him. Anyway. I got to hear his car all weekend long as he pitted a few up from me and ran in a different run group.

This center muffler by pass pipe is perfect for the street driver just looking for something slightly louder than stock. Actually to me the car sounds like it should from the factory with the Sharkwerks center muffler by pass pipe. the sound is very legal sounding. Enough sound to make you smile in the car but not really to much louder outside the car. While he was driving around the pits and driving by at around 40mph to the grid his car sounded almost stock.

Enjoy your drive across the USA! It will be fun.
Old 06-12-2009 | 05:12 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Thanks Mike! More good info - I was pretty sure before, but now I'm 100% sure.

Alex - save me a slot on the 11th of August - I'll be there for the bypass and reflash!!

Originally Posted by mdrums
Chris, at my last Sebring track event a guy had a 09 C2s with the Sharkwerks by pass. I turned him onto Sharkwerks and he is over on 6speed and goes by The Greek if you want to contact him. Anyway. I got to hear his car all weekend long as he pitted a few up from me and ran in a different run group.

This center muffler by pass pipe is perfect for the street driver just looking for something slightly louder than stock. Actually to me the car sounds like it should from the factory with the Sharkwerks center muffler by pass pipe. the sound is very legal sounding. Enough sound to make you smile in the car but not really to much louder outside the car. While he was driving around the pits and driving by at around 40mph to the grid his car sounded almost stock.

Old 06-12-2009 | 06:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Thanks Mike! More good info - I was pretty sure before, but now I'm 100% sure.

Alex - save me a slot on the 11th of August - I'll be there for the bypass and reflash!!
Hey Chris, I'll just that down for sure then

Originally Posted by mdrums

Thanks for the feedback Mike and you've got the gist of it:P
Old 06-12-2009 | 09:12 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Love the Shark bypass on my RS, in fact, when I turn the car one the first button I push is the delete for the muffler and make sure the radio is off.
Old 06-12-2009 | 10:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by russo
Love the Shark bypass on my RS, in fact, when I turn the car one the first button I push is the delete for the muffler and make sure the radio is off.
Hehe thanks Russo.... there's a radio in the RS?
Old 06-13-2009 | 04:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey Chris, I'll just that down for sure then

Thanks for the feedback Mike and you've got the gist of it:P
Your welcome Sharkey...just telling them the way I heard it.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Sharkwerks Primary Bypass