Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2009 C2S In-car at Monticello Full Course

Finally uploaded some of my video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ2XXqArG8

Posted the below in Bob Roleau's thread about his C4S PDK on the track...

Posted this the other day in Racing / DE. Had a great 1st track experience at Monticello in NY in my new 09 C2S. Wanted to add to your "data base" of information, Bob, though I edited / shortened it for this thread.

+ + +

Man am I beat - tired, sore, etc. Despite the short run groups, I had a real work out.

I was posting speeds in the 140s on the back straight. The killer is the 90 degree flat turn, so entry speed is very limited. Flat out from either 2nd or 3rd up to 5th was a little unsettling at the slight kink 2/3 up the straight. Another unsettling spot was 21, flat out was downright hairy there because of the off-camber. Tried various approaches and none felt great. But the car held, so I can't really complain. Track map suggested to brake before 20, but I didn't find the need. I was surprised at how fast we could take the straight between 5 and 6 - diving straight and then into the "cheese grater" switch back. Man, was the pavement disintegrating right under our cars. I came in early last session of day 2 because not only was I sliding as the pavement crumbled, but cars in front of me were spraying tiny bituminous chips.

The new car was bone stock with dealer provided alignment of about -1.1 degrees of camber. Understeered like crazy. OEM 19" Porsche N Rated "Faux" PSC tires were decent (and now shot - fronts are toast), but the R888s going on should be better. Will have Dan put on some GT3 control arms and get me to about -2.3 for a street / DE alignment. Felt great though - looking forward to The Glen in June.

The kink at the end of the long straight didn't bother me any - kind of found it interesting and keeps you on your toes. Ended up going from curb entering and over both apex curbs. Was very interesting when cresting that blind spot and I found a yellow GT3 sitting in the dirt right in front of me - Flick left, jump the curb, and away thinking "wow, bad place to park". What I didn't like about this sequence was the heel-toe rising up the hill before the kink. 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd (on the hill) was a real work-out. Man, you can brake very late there even at 150.

Saw lots of different theories on how to take 13 and 14. I was doing more of a modified "V" - pretty much entering / braking fairly straight, making a turn to the right, then powering through the apex of 14. Really liked that sequence coming out of the carousel and it was cool to watch cars right in front of me taking it 3 different ways. Also, entering the start of the Carousel sequence, into turn 9 was interesting - similar theory, pretty much straight and braking, then release and turn toward 10. That's the beauty of a new track - we're all hunting for our best way through it.

Didn't have my traqmate set up yet, but finally bothered to put my camera in for the last session. I only took 3 laps before coming in because my new car was getting trashed from all of the disintegrating pavement (top course was just paved 2 weeks ago - I see some concrete in this track's future). All were in traffic, but still had some fun laps. The camera says high 2:40s and low 2:50s for lap times. Same track length as Watkins Glen, but WAY slower overall thanks to the 3 tight corners that push you down to about 40 MPH.

My son and I also enjoyed the variety. Some very technical areas of the track. Can't get into a rhythm...

+ + +

Basically, engine was super strong, smooth, and revved easier than I remember my 07. New Sport PASM was fantastic - much better than I expected, especially when on Sport (tried normal first, then sport). Brakes were fine and I wonder if the added cooling of the new front design helped. Had some issues with the e-gas / throttle linkage being "slow" to respond. Had to change my Heel / Toe a bit.
Attached Images    
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Great Ron! I just spent 2 days this weekend at Sebring. Car performed flawlessly...it really hauls and I am loving the Sport PASM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike, it was your video that finally encouraged me to post my 1st Thanks for the inspiration! Still marveling at how good the SPASM is.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Ron! been waiting for you to post your vid.
for the that kink after the long straight, were you in 2nd or 3rd gear?
if in 3rd, do you recall your RPM's going through there?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I was in 5th HT all the way down to 3rd while braking into the hill, then to 2nd near the top in order to have that gear for zigging and zagging through the kink. I heard from a few people that tried more 3rd that it worked out just fine. Next time I go back, I'm going to try sticking with 3-5 and avoid 2nd if at all possible.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another unsettling spot was 21, flat out was downright hairy there because of the off-camber. Tried various approaches and none felt great
Tony, the CI, during the instructor track walk, strongly advised braking at T20 before turning in to T21 as the off camber there is "challenging". If you look at the armco by T21, and notice the big kink in it, a Ferrari did that two weeks prior by trying to take it flat out. He found it "expensive and challenging".
Going up the "corkscrew" at the end of the straight, I used the right hand curbing at turn in, then over both rumbles, all in second gear.
And I agree fully that it was difficult to get into a rhythm there, due to the 4 2nd gear turns.

Quick Reply: 2009 C2S In-car at Monticello Full Course