Sponsored by:

lazy lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lazy lifter?

My '08 S started making a slight clanking [lifter?] noise in idle. The dealer spoke to Porsche and the whole thing needs to be taken apart. The dealer, before opening the engine, said that it may just be a “lazy lifter”. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carlos
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It could be a lifter that has been hammered in and needs replacement. Depending on the noise, it could be piston slap, which would be more involved. How many miles?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Intermediate shaft? This, of course, would be quite serious.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Intermediate shaft? This, of course, would be quite serious.
I had the intermediate shaft problem with my first (2005) 911. They replaced the engine and I went on to have a nightmare with the "service engine" light, along with many weekends without my car, for the following 2 years.

This just sounded like a loud lifter. They're taking it apart today and letting me know on Monday what the story is. Another weekend without my car....thought that with the '08 this would never happen...
Old 05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by Fahrer
It could be a lifter that has been hammered in and needs replacement. Depending on the noise, it could be piston slap, which would be more involved. How many miles?

29,000 miles.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Carlos, I can't believe you're having an issue again. Hang in there, times have to get better. Is the same dealership that sold you your first 997?

Jay
Old 05-30-2009, 12:30 PM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by DJ23
Carlos, I can't believe you're having an issue again. Hang in there, times have to get better. Is the same dealership that sold you your first 997?

Jay
Jay, can you believe it? I bought this one at Danbury, the other one was from Fairfield.

I can't figure it out. Everyone tells me that these are the most reliable cars in the world, yet I can't seem to catch a break. Hopefully, this is a one time thing.... I'll let you know. regards, Carlos
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
jcf7
Pro

The dealer just told me that they will replace one bank of lifters, along with the intake and exhaust. They are still not sure if the lifter created the clanking noise and won’t know for sure until they put it all back together and start the car.

Does seem crazy, normal, or I’m just unlucky?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Unlucky, perhaps....but not so serious, at least.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Could be a "lazy" lifter. You know what happens... Came across an 02...

Originally Posted by jcf7
My '08 S started making a slight clanking [lifter?] noise in idle. The dealer spoke to Porsche and the whole thing needs to be taken apart. The dealer, before opening the engine, said that it may just be a “lazy lifter”. Does any of this make sense to anyone? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carlos
Carrera that customer brought back after just a few hundred miles with what proved to be lifter noise. Service found noisy lifter and replaced it.

Customer rejected car and I believe dealer relented and worked out a swap for him.

Know of another time friend came upon a very nice '93 Cobra that a owner had returned after a valve spring broke. My friend picked up essentially new car at discount.

Word is new BMWs noisy and BMW claims it is because of the way American drivers drive these cars. Too little, too infrequently, and short trips, etc.

One BMW tech writer though chastises BMW for not making cars more forgiving to USA market and usage conditions when BMW sells so many cars here.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM
jcf7
Pro

Originally Posted by Macster
Carrera that customer brought back after just a few hundred miles with what proved to be lifter noise. Service found noisy lifter and replaced it.

Customer rejected car and I believe dealer relented and worked out a swap for him.

Know of another time friend came upon a very nice '93 Cobra that a owner had returned after a valve spring broke. My friend picked up essentially new car at discount.

Word is new BMWs noisy and BMW claims it is because of the way American drivers drive these cars. Too little, too infrequently, and short trips, etc.

One BMW tech writer though chastises BMW for not making cars more forgiving to USA market and usage conditions when BMW sells so many cars here.

Sincerely,

Macster.
My first Porsche, a 2005 997, needed the engine replaced after 8,000 miles. It then went on to have “service engine” light problems for two years, causing endless trips to the dealer and many weekends without the car. When the engine problem (shaft) happened I tried everything to get another car, everything, including hiring a lawyer. I ended up with an extended warranty and a couple of lease payments….but it was worse than pulling teeth.

Let’s hope that this is a one time thing…

thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
jcf7
Pro

It will be three weeks on Thursday that my car has been at the dealer. They've replaced all sorts of things and the car still has the "lifter noise" (they replaced the lifters). The Porsche tech was at the dealer on Friday and “mentioned” a new engine. They are waiting to hear from him today.

I’ve been out of the country for a week and will return on Thursday. In the meantime, the Cayman they lent me is in my garage, nice car but it’s not the 997. I plan to ask for an extended warranty and a month or two of lease payments. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Carlos
Old 06-16-2009, 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Carlos, I would just get a new car. You've been through this once and you don't need to repeat the first disaster. They have your documented history; this is just terrible. Have them do what is best and give you a new car, with a new lease.

Jay
Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
jcf7
Pro

Jay,

As expected, Porsche ordered a new engine. It should arrive in Danbury today. Apparently, a cylinder was hitting [something] and caused an indentation in its housing. I spoke with Porsche customer service and asked for a month's lease payment and an extended warranty. Their regional rep is to contact me “in a few days”.

The last time this happened (the shaft problem many ‘05’s had) I asked for a new car and they wouldn’t do it, even with a lawyer on the case. An extended warranty means a lot for me, as I usually drive 25+ miles a year. My only concern are future problems with electrical, as my ’05 had after the engine replacement. We’ll see…..I may have to contact the lawyer again, should they refuse the warranty or if it has future problems.

It’s all a nightmare but, hopefully, I’ll have my car back for the weekend and as they say, “never look back”…..hopefully.

Quick Reply: lazy lifter?