Sponsored by:

Couple of PSE install questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Of course you guys don't know this,--you're not that connected to the 'inside track' at the factory! I'll quote from my friend Randy Leffingwell's book, "Porsche Sixty Years."

The subtly higher wing [20mm higher] was not the only effect that the top-down Porsche drivers noticed.
"The exhaust sound was even more aggressive with the cabrio," Bernd Kahnau explained with a broad grin. "Because of the open cabin, we wanted our customers to really be able to hear the engine." It reminded some drivers of the 993 more than a water-cooled 996. Because of America's relaxed exhaust-noise standards, U.S. buyers got the loudest exhausts of any 997 purchaser. Bernd Kahnau knew the sound and explained the reason. "Our exhaust engineers? They're our Mozarts."

There is no part number difference. But the coupe's cabin enclosure muffles the PSE substantially for the driver. A friend of mine with a Carrera GT thinks my PSE sounds great, when he's driving alongside. Porsche has a way of tuning to the accoustics presented and with the coupes, there is substantial attenuation at certain points of the PSE's frequency range.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by apw964
Thanks for all the replies. I have PASM and Sport Chrono so I won't need the extra switch. I think I will ultimately install the switch though.

The fedex tracking number says my exhasut arrives on 6/2. Looking forward to installing it on 6/6 :-)
I have PASM & Sport Chrono as well and still decided to install a 'stealth' switch rather than attempt to interface to the motor DME and allow it to turn off (quiet) the PSE when speeds are between 20 & 40 mph. I find the quiet mode effective when on my hands-free phone, wife is riding shotgun, in an underground parking structure or when I simply don't want to attract attention (ie. Mr Law along side).

I could be wrong but I think Porsche decided to implement PSE this way (driver controlled) in MY2009. I read this somewhere but since the noise abatement regulations Germany most likely have not been relaxed it might be bogus.

If you decide to interface to the DME be careful . . . its an expensive module if you 'smoke' it.

GL!

Quick Reply: Couple of PSE install questions.