Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carrera vs panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price is too high for the Panamera to sell well. I expected pricing more in line with the Cayenne. The Panamera S starts at 50% higher than the Cayenne S. I think most people who buy an S-Class are more interested in the features than performance and style. That's the opposite of most Porsche owners. PCM 3.0 may be a huge improvement but Porsche's strengths have never really been things like nav systems, communications, car audio, etc... Those things are very important to the average $100k+ sedan buyer. The Panamera should be compared to the Maserati Quattroporte more than the S-Class. Porsche should expect a simliar sales volume to the Maserati. Maybe a little higher since they have a larger dealer network and a lot more brand loyalty in the U.S. than Maserati.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
The price is too high for the Panamera to sell well. I expected pricing more in line with the Cayenne. The Panamera S starts at 50% higher than the Cayenne S. I think most people who buy an S-Class are more interested in the features than performance and style. That's the opposite of most Porsche owners. PCM 3.0 may be a huge improvement but Porsche's strengths have never really been things like nav systems, communications, car audio, etc... Those things are very important to the average $100k+ sedan buyer. The Panamera should be compared to the Maserati Quattroporte more than the S-Class. Porsche should expect a simliar sales volume to the Maserati. Maybe a little higher since they have a larger dealer network and a lot more brand loyalty in the U.S. than Maserati.

Why is it people expect a LOWER price for a car such as the Panamera, when clearly it's superior to a Mas- in EVERY way. Regardless, to suggest it should be priced 'less' is silly.

The S Class buyer who's on their 2nd or 3rd S550 and already done the 7 series will love this car.

Remember this isn't going to kill S Class sales. And yes, I agree that it will cut into Cayenne sales. But it's supposed to be 'the' alternative to 'another S Class- whch btw- MOST S class owners have no idea how to operate their car, let alone all the bells and whistles; but also the Panamera will give potential clients levels of customization where the S Class cannot.

Levels like the Bentley Flying Spur - minus the double digits price tag.

I think pricing is right in line with and on par with the S Class. But only sales will tell how it's accepted. Based on your logic it should be (base) MORE then an S550. As the Mas clearly is- price point wise.

You "Panamera Poo Poo heads" are relentless.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
DanJK
Racer

when clearly it's superior to a Mas- in EVERY way.

Maybe, maybe not. Anyone driven one? It isn't superior in exterior looks. And that's the most any of us can know at this point right? I mean the rest is speculation, and I'm not a Panamera Poo Poo. I can't wait to drive and experience it FIRST HAND.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Sonny???

Looks as though you need a little education. You have no idea to whom you are speaking yet you bother to insult. You should think, and attempt to enlighten yourself before you condescend, really. Otherwise you look as a foolish old man.

To begin, it's not a "wantabe", it is well and truly a Porsche

Secondly, I do not think that "everything revolves around porsches" (sic). This thread was about a vehicle with which I am familiar and I was comparing it to another vehicle with which I am familiar, the M-B S-class. You've only owned one? Then you have some things to learn too. I have owned several, and they have all been nice transportation, but boring (that's an opinion, but an educated one, your impression is just as valid of course). My point was that the S-class was the specific market they set out to invade. Whether or not they have done a good enough job remains to be seen, but that's their goal nonetheless. If you knew more, you would have known that too.

Insofar as your comment about preferring an S-class or a 7-series, well perhaps, but since you haven't driven a Panamera I think your conclusion is about as scientific as your presumptions about me. However, it is your money and if you prefer those cars, fine.

Abe, does the the word "putz" mean something to you? Do you really live in such an angry cocoon that you go out of your way to insult folks about whom you know nothing? Accuse folks who possess far more knowledge on the subject than you've demonstrated of being "ignorant"?

I've read some of your posts, you appear to have issues with politeness and management of emotions. Get a grip Man!

Oh, one more thing...why don't you support the site?

Originally Posted by abe
Yes, I owned one for ten years and it was a very comfortable realiable luxury car that was great to take the family or another couple out. It serves a different role....it is ignorant to think that the everything must revolve around porsches and by your comment it looks like you have a little growing up to do to, sonny. That said, for the purpose it was intended to serve, I will take an S class or 7 series BMW over a wantabe porsche family sedan that is trying to find an identity. Porsche should stick with what they do best instead of trying to mass produce cars for the masses. Once they start importing from China..you'll have your "starter" Porsche for the teenagers that just got there license. Unfortunately, that is also what happened to Mercedes...20 years ago it was much more exclusive than today. Now, there is a Mercedes for everyone in the family....along with a diminished quality and exclusivity.
Do you really want Porsche to become just another car manufacturer? I was not to happy when they came out with the SUV and I am not happy that they are trying to move into the Lexus, Mercedes family sedan market.
imho
abe
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

*whew* Fer a second I thought your response was to meeee.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 997CS4
Why do carrera and panamera have similar pricing? 6 cilinder vs 8 cilinder; 2 seats vs 4 seats. Panamera seems a lots more car = more material, time to put together etc. Can someone explain this?
They charge what they WANT to charge.
Example:
911 cab is MORE expensive than the coupe.
987 cab is LESS expensive than the coupe.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lighten up allegretto thats why there is a ...on don't you get it? Whatever...
BTW, the way your attacking people on the "obama and 911" thread it looks like you are on streak.
abe

Last edited by abe; 05-18-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by abe
Lighten up allegretto thats why there is a ...on don't you get it? Whatever...
BTW, the way your attacking people on the "obama and 911" thread it looks like you are on streak.
abe
i don't get it? you'd better try again.

i don't attack anyone. but perhaps in the Bizarro World asking folks to explain what they mean, or asking them to be polite is an attack. disagreement is not attack either, if it is polite. you're the one who condescended.

you're hiding now and we both know it. rehab is a bytch, isn't it? you never really know if you're getting the effect.

i have an idea; speak respectfully to me, and i will to you.

get it?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen up OLD and YOUNG.....why the hell can't a sport car designer not try out the market for sport sedans??? I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the panernamerna or the cayenne....but a **** load of people are and that is exactly the people the cars have been designed and build for.....stop pissing on VW please......they have a couple of brands that are superior to many other carmakers....Lambo to be one and how about Bentley and the best of them all Bugatti??? So what if a couple of part or half the car is manufactured at one of their plants?? maybe than we won't have RMS problems or exploding/imploding 911 engines (JUST KIDDING)

Best cars in the world are German build or German owned and I like them all ....some more and some less.......

And Allegretto get out of your bunker... you will die a natural dead at a very old age.....so don't worry about them black holes (just keep a flashlight handy just in case! )
Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
Listen up OLD and YOUNG.....why the hell can't a sport car designer not try out the market for sport sedans??? I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the panernamerna or the cayenne....but a **** load of people are and that is exactly the people the cars have been designed and build for.....stop pissing on VW please......they have a couple of brands that are superior to many other carmakers....Lambo to be one and how about Bentley and the best of them all Bugatti??? So what if a couple of part or half the car is manufactured at one of their plants?? maybe than we won't have RMS problems or exploding/imploding 911 engines (JUST KIDDING)

Best cars in the world are German build or German owned and I like them all ....some more and some less.......

And Allegretto get out of your bunker... you will die a natural dead at a very old age.....so don't worry about them black holes (just keep a flashlight handy just in case! )
but Dude...they're gonna start up the LHC again. and what if...the events last longer than expected, and what if...the horror...the hor-ror...

Ben, say it can't happen..oh NOOOOOOOO....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

.....am I the only one who thought when they read the thread title 'oh this will go down in flames fo' Sho!'?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Why the comparisons to the S-class? It is clearly not the market the Panamera is aiming for.

The Panamera is much smaller than the S-class; it is within a couple inches of the CLS-class in every dimension. The CLS also has seating limited to four, and the CLS550/CLS63 is much closer to the Panamera S/Turbo in terms of power/weight ratio. The CLS is, however, less expensive and is generally considered a good looking car.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Why the comparisons to the S-class? It is clearly not the market the Panamera is aiming for.

The Panamera is much smaller than the S-class; it is within a couple inches of the CLS-class in every dimension. The CLS also has seating limited to four, and the CLS550/CLS63 is much closer to the Panamera S/Turbo in terms of power/weight ratio. The CLS is, however, less expensive and is generally considered a good looking car.
nope.

i have been invited to two separate evaluations of the vehicle. one almost two years ago and one last summer. make no mistake, the S-class sports (think AMG variants) are precisely where they are going. there was no ambiguity. there were also M5's and 6's but it was window dressing, the "money" was in the comparo to the S63. to the point tedium.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Having seen both, up close and in detail, the Panamera "smokes" the S63; hopefully it does better in the depreciation department.

Quick Reply: carrera vs panamera