Sponsored by:

carrera vs panamera

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bijan
The Panameras are made on the Cayenne production lines,...This keeps the price down.
http://www.germancarblog.com/2009/05...n-started.html
911 built in Stuttgart and Panamera built in Leipzig I believe, much closer mechanically to a cayenne than a 911
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bijan
The Panameras are made on the Cayenne production lines, I saw this in 2007, therefore I assume the cabin is entirely manufactured by VW by "mass production" method at Wolfsburg, fully painted and trimmed they arrive at Leipsic for "marriage" with the undercarriage. This keeps the price down.
http://www.germancarblog.com/2009/05...n-started.html
Doubtful that they're built by VW. SUV is one thing but to be built on a production based VW platform would surely mean a less then favorable outcome.
Just because they're built in Leipzig plant, as the article you cite states, doesn't mean they share the same 'platform'. Engines, obviously.

Dont worry. you don't have to buy one.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Likemysoppie,
You are right according to this article:
"He said the Panamera was not designed to tow 3500kg like the Cayenne must, but other possibilities for the brand-new rear/all-wheel-drive chassis architecture include models from Bentley, Lamborghini or even Audi’s upcoming A7 Sportback, which was expected to have employed the A6 chassis."

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25759F00063302
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I owned one for ten years and it was a very comfortable realiable luxury car that was great to take the family or another couple out. It serves a different role....it is ignorant to think that the everything must revolve around porsches and by your comment it looks like you have a little growing up to do to, sonny. That said, for the purpose it was intended to serve, I will take an S class or 7 series BMW over a wantabe porsche family sedan that is trying to find an identity. Porsche should stick with what they do best instead of trying to mass produce cars for the masses. Once they start importing from China..you'll have your "starter" Porsche for the teenagers that just got there license. Unfortunately, that is also what happened to Mercedes...20 years ago it was much more exclusive than today. Now, there is a Mercedes for everyone in the family....along with a diminished quality and exclusivity.
Do you really want Porsche to become just another car manufacturer? I was not to happy when they came out with the SUV and I am not happy that they are trying to move into the Lexus, Mercedes family sedan market.
imho
abe

Originally Posted by allegretto
i see. have you ever owned an S-class? do the words "Library Paste" bring an image to mind?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The 3 series coupe is prices higher than the 3 series sedan. I kind of expected the panamera to be priced similarly to the 911.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by abe
Yes, I owned one for ten years and it was a very comfortable realiable luxury car that was great to take the family or another couple out. It serves a different role....it is ignorant to think that the everything must revolve around porsches and by your comment it looks like you have a little growing up to do to, sonny. That said, for the purpose it was intended to serve, I will take an S class or 7 series BMW over a wantabe porsche family sedan that is trying to find an identity. Porsche should stick with what they do best instead of trying to mass produce cars for the masses. Once they start importing from China..you'll have your "starter" Porsche for the teenagers that just got there license. Unfortunately, that is also what happened to Mercedes...20 years ago it was much more exclusive than today. Now, there is a Mercedes for everyone in the family....along with a diminished quality and exclusivity.
Do you really want Porsche to become just another car manufacturer? I was not to happy when they came out with the SUV and I am not happy that they are trying to move into the Lexus, Mercedes family sedan market.
imho
abe

No offense Abe, but you sound like an Dinosaur.

Thank GOD MB changed the way it did. If it still catered to a bunch of old fogies, who thought their sh*t didn't stink - MB would be DEAD.

Oh and you can thank change for the fact you're NOT paying a 18%++ profit margin. And also I'm thankful that being "Rich" isn't exclusive to being almost f**king dead and in depends diapers.

MB's are not only MORE exciting to all ages, they're built better then they ever have been considering all the technology. The company literally, reinvented, and reengineered it's self to represent the mark it once was. Superiority in Sea, Air and Land.

As for the Panamera; it's a fantastic alternative to an S550 or 750iL. Will it appeal to everyone.........lol; obviously not. But when MB was showing renderings of their current gen S Class; many people poo- pooed the idea.

This S Class is one of the beautiful cars Mercedes has ever produced.

Thank God for Change. I applaud the Panamera.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM
simplysql
Instructor

Stoppie - thanks for the response. My thoughts exactly. I'm glad Porsche is out looking for ways to better their bottom line. In the long run, the Carrera is going to benefit from the influx of cash created by the Cayenne, the Cayman, and the Panamera. You are exactly right, I don't have to buy those other models, but just the fact that they exist provides me the option to buy the 911. I'm not sure how long Porsche would have survived had they not branched out with those other models.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I'd be more excited about the Panamera if it looked more like the Quattroporte or Rapide.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Ps. Abe knows I love'em. Cranky bastid.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
I'd be more excited about the Panamera if it looked more like the Quattroporte or Rapide.
I'm looking forward to a shorter, 2 door version of the Panamera (928??) down the road...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 PM
jsmirand
Racer

I'm with Abe that I think MB used to be a more distinguished brand, and having owned an E Class I experienced too many nagging mechanical issues (I experienced 3 MAF replacements across 2 newer stock MB products...)

But at the same time, branching out may give Porsche the financial strength to stay alive, and therefore continue the 911 tradition.

I recognize the majority of the market disagrees, but I would like the S Class even more if they took $10k of excessive electronic crap and ripped it out of an S Class, then spent that $10k on nicer leather, dash & interior materials and workmanship.

It's one thing to lease or own an in warranty S Class, but can you imagine how all that electronic gadgetry is going to hold up, say 8 years down the road? Every time some electronic module dies, you'll be out $1k in today's prices.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

..Just remember, you'll be a dino one of these days too.....if you get there.
abe
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsmirand
I'm with Abe that I think MB used to be a more distinguished brand, .
+1
Porsche really should stick with what it does best - Took a while for me to get used to the SUV - now a Sedan? The jury is out
Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

I never liked the idea of a Porsche SUV and now don't really like the Panamera. The reason I accept them however is that it allowed Porsche to stay independent and produce great sports cars such as the 911, Boxster, and Cayman. I would wager that if you pinned down a Porsche exec after a few they would readily acknowledge that the Cayenne and Panamera are cash cows to pay for everything else.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
+1
Porsche really should stick with what it does best - Took a while for me to get used to the SUV - now a Sedan? The jury is out
Emotionally, I agree with this.

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
I never liked the idea of a Porsche SUV and now don't really like the Panamera. The reason I accept them however is that it allowed Porsche to stay independent and produce great sports cars such as the 911, Boxster, and Cayman. I would wager that if you pinned down a Porsche exec after a few they would readily acknowledge that the Cayenne and Panamera are cash cows to pay for everything else.
Logically, I agree with this.

Quick Reply: carrera vs panamera