Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a TSB on the 6spd trannies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 PM
fastsvo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a TSB on the 6spd trannies?

I have a 2007 S with the factory short shift kit and I too have the dreaded issues trying to get into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer has adjusted the cables once and we are back to square one. This time I am catching the syncros when shifting from 1 -2 and almost making it grind. I am concerned about a possible transmission issue here and would like to get this resolved before my warranty runs out.

Does anyone know of a current TSB on these manual transmissions? I want to walk into the service department with some updated information!

Is there an aftermarket gear oil that will help this problem?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I have the same stuff in mine but never had a problem. Perhaps you're in a colder climate?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ode=carrera997
Could not see a recent TSB on Renntech (donation required to access).
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 AM
fastsvo
Intermediate

I am in Los Angeles
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsvo
I am in Los Angeles
Take it to another dealer - should be able to be adjusted so you can get into any gear with no problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

This has happened to me after driving a while then comming to a complete stop. It becomes very difficult to shift into 1st. This doesn't happen often but when it does it's a job to get it in gear. Afterwards this usually doesn't happen again for weeks.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
This has happened to me after driving a while then comming to a complete stop. It becomes very difficult to shift into 1st. This doesn't happen often but when it does it's a job to get it in gear. Afterwards this usually doesn't happen again for weeks.
Try this and see if it works for you. When it feels difficult going into first just quickly drop it back into neutral and then try again. It slips right into first effortlessly for me when I do this.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Try this and see if it works for you. When it feels difficult going into first just quickly drop it back into neutral and then try again. It slips right into first effortlessly for me when I do this.
Another suggestion if you're having a struggle engaging 1st...

From neutral, put it in 2nd and then push up to grab first. I haven't had the issue you describe with my 997 but have had it with other cars and the step of grabbing 2nd before 1st always worked for me.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

My method is between OCBen and Da Hapa - I move the shifter as if I'm going into 2nd (never actually get there) and then move into 1st.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
My method is between OCBen and Da Hapa - I move the shifter as if I'm going into 2nd (never actually get there) and then move into 1st.
That used to be mine when the car was new, but since then it has loosened up just a tad and all it takes now is dropping into neutral momentarily.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post2423988
Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DaHapa does what I do...also try double clutching when in neutral. When you put the car in 2nd it clears the gate as does double clutching.

Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastsvo
I have a 2007 S with the factory short shift kit and I too have the dreaded issues trying to get into 1st and 2nd gear. The dealer has adjusted the cables once and we are back to square one. This time I am catching the syncros when shifting from 1 -2 and almost making it grind. I am concerned about a possible transmission issue here and would like to get this resolved before my warranty runs out.

Does anyone know of a current TSB on these manual transmissions? I want to walk into the service department with some updated information!

Is there an aftermarket gear oil that will help this problem?

Thanks,
Eric
I have had this exact problem as described above. I had the dealer look at it on 2 separate occasions and and they adjusted the cables the first time. The second time they said nothing wrong.
It happens so infrequently that i cant even reproduce the situation that causes it to happen. I feel that sometimes it just might require a more swift force to engage 1st.

However, i have noticed that sometimes none if the gears are selectable. This is esp concerning when stopped at a light. I dont want to use more excessive force than normal as i might break the cable attachment.
The shifter almost seems to be locked out of first; it goes about 1/4 or 1/2 way but doesnt click in.
In addition to the things listed above it have tried (without regular success):
Engaging 3rd or 4th first
Giving a little throttle (w/clutch pressed) while trying to get in to 1st-2nd or 3rd-4th.

One time i let up the clutch just up to the point of engagement, i heard a slight grinding, i immediately pushed the clutch down again and was then able to get in first. The only thing that definitely worked. But i dont want do that all the time. Clearly something mechanical is going on in these situations?

What is causing this?
Will a change of MT help?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharmat
I have had this exact problem as described above. I had the dealer look at it on 2 separate occasions and and they adjusted the cables the first time. The second time they said nothing wrong.
It happens so infrequently that i cant even reproduce the situation that causes it to happen. I feel that sometimes it just might require a more swift force to engage 1st.

However, i have noticed that sometimes none if the gears are selectable. This is esp concerning when stopped at a light. I dont want to use more excessive force than normal as i might break the cable attachment.
The shifter almost seems to be locked out of first; it goes about 1/4 or 1/2 way but doesnt click in.
Giving a little throttle (w/clutch pressed) while trying to get in to 1st-2nd or 3rd-4th.

One time i let up the clutch just up to the point of engagement, i heard a slight grinding, i immediately pushed the clutch down again and was then able to get in first. The only thing that definitely worked. But i dont want do that all the time. Clearly something mechanical is going on in these situations?

What is causing this?
When you push the clutch to select a gear, put the car in neutral and push in the clutch again. This should help line everything up.

Dave
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by sharmat

What is causing this?
Mike Miller, writing in Roundel, often suggests that changing the oil to one of the Red Line products transforms the feel of the gearbox in many BMW transmissions and addresses symptoms similar to those outlined in this thread. I don't know if Red Line make a lubricant that would work well in our transmissions, but based on his feedback it does appear that in some cases a change of oil might make a difference and might be worth considering?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
Mike Miller, writing in Roundel, often suggests that changing the oil to one of the Red Line products transforms the feel of the gearbox in many BMW transmissions and addresses symptoms similar to those outlined in this thread. I don't know if Red Line make a lubricant that would work well in our transmissions, but based on his feedback it does appear that in some cases a change of oil might make a difference and might be worth considering?
That's what i was thinking.
I get Roundel and am am very familiar with Mike's suggestions.
But Red line makes a few different MT products and grades of oil.
Anyone know what MT grade oil goes in the 997; im guessing the factory oil is synthetic?
Why didn't the dealer offer to change the MT oil in these circumstances?

Quick Reply: Is there a TSB on the 6spd trannies?