Sponsored by:

Factory Short Shifter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:29 AM
SY in Houston
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Factory Short Shifter Problem?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to hear your experiences regarding any problems with your short shift kits. I know a few weeks ago someone posted a problem with their ssk not going into reverse.

My problem is that my 997S refuses to go into first gear when starting from neutral, waiting at the red light for example. I clutch in, and the shifter just refuses to go into first. I've found that if I let off the clutch, then push in the clutch again, the gear lever will then allow me to shift into first. Or, while keeping the clutch pressed in, I put the shifter into second (which works fine), then shift it back into first. I've found that normally, if one pushes the shifter into first very gently, you can actually feel 3 clicks before the lever is fully engaged. When I encounter this "shifter problem", the lever won't go past the first "click". It's a really annoying problem, and this happens daily.

For the first while, my Porsche dealership (Advantage Porsche in Houston) couldn't figure it out. They said they couldn't find the problem. Then the next time I brought in the car, they said it was a misalignment of the shifter cable, and the problem should disappear now that they've fixed it. That didn't solve the problem. Finally, I couldn't take it any longer, so I called them today and said, "take the car into the shop, drive it around all you want until you encounter the problem yourself while driving my car, I don't want it back until you've fixed the problem".

They tell me that a "Porsche engineer" actually visited the dealership last Friday and they mentioned my problem to the guy. Apparently, he said there is "absolutely nothing you can do about it", so I'm just SOL. I really don't think this sort of problem should be occuring in a car of this calibre, and I also find it disconcerting how Porsche expects its customers to just accept these kinds of problems on a factory-installed option.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't really know whether I should continue to pursue this issue with the dealership, or write a letter to PCNA, etc. Perhaps if other people have this problem, then Porsche is telling the truth, but somehow it seems everyone seems happy with their short shift kits when reading through the posts. I have a feeling my dealership is just blowing smoke up my a#@

Any advice/experiences would be appreciated, thanks!

SY in Houston
Old 09-07-2005, 01:39 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I had no problems with my stock shifter and my OEM SSK has been in for 2-3 months now with no problems.

I have NEVER had a problem similar to yours with my string of p-cars. Sure, sometimes the car is cold and it takes a little harder push, but nothing like you describe. The supposed "Porsche Engineer's" statement sounds like pure, unadulterated horse s*** to me.

I would try another dealer, if that's feasible, or just call PCNA's "customer commitment" number directly (800-545-8039).
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Mine will do that a little until car is warmed up. No clicking and after 5500 miles it rarely does it at all...Did the "engineer " drive the thing?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:20 AM
doc j
Advanced

sy-
hans at advantage installed my oem ssk about 2-3 weeks ago. overall, i am very happy with the job he did. the problem you describe (difficulty going into 1st gear when starting at neutral) happens to me about 1 out of 5-7 times, and only when the car is "cold" (relative term in h-town); the majority of the time, it only feels a little notchy when cold. once warm, neither of these problems ever happen. do you still have the problem after the car has been run for a while?
i'm surprised hans couldn't fix it. i hear he' da man.
-J
Old 09-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Cytoboy
Advanced

SY- Have you considered having Momentum examine the problem? I purchased my 997S on the SW freeway recently, but have not visited the service dept. yet.

My sportshift when cold has a similar issue about 10% of the time. After warming up, it appears to resolve. Don't give up on P, but be persistent. I would consider getting Porsche NA involved as well. JGM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

My 06 is a little "notchy" going into first sometimes. If I go into second then into first I don't have the problem. You know the transmissions are outsourced to Japan...that is fine with me, but could account for tolerances which may be a couple thousandths off from specs..
Old 09-07-2005, 10:34 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, I don't have a SSK in my 997 but I can probably shed some light on the matter.

The nature of the SSK is that it's going to shorten the throw. That means more effort to engage the gear. The three clicks that you are feeling when you shift into first are the triple-coned syncros.

I use to have this problem with my SSK in my Audi. It's not so much of a problem from a design stand point, but just the nature of the SSK. We have a very beefy tranny. Be thankful for that. But having such a strong tranny means that you have to have triple-coned syncros in first and 2nd gear, etc.etc. That means that your going to have more effort on the first and 2nd gear. And even MORE SO with the short shifter, since it's reducing the amount of travel/leverage you have with the standard shifter.

A few things to do when you seem "locked" and can't get into first. shifting into 2nd and then first is a very common thing. Another way to do it is to rock the car with the clutch. This can be good and bad. Basically, your pushing the gear into first to engage, but it won't get past the first "click". SLOWLY let the clutch out and the clutch will spin the gear just a tad and allow the gear to be engaged, if your not careful, you will grind the syncro. (Have to be quick) An easier way to do this is to simply disengage the clutch with the gear in neutral, and try it once again. But be sure to give it about 3 seconds before you engage 1st to allow the shaft to slow down a bit.

2nd gear is pretty notchy on my car, but that's just the nature of the triple-cones. They are carbon coated as well. They are tough, but they are a little chunky as well. All sports car.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 AM
AeroSmith
Pro

Good information NoSubEDU.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When cold mine does it as well. But I don't force it into first if it doesn't go in easily. My trick is to initiate the move into 2nd without actually shifting into 2nd and then it just slips right into 1st.

I sometimes like to anthropomorphize my tranny and pretend it's just being stubborn and grumpy first thing in the morning, wanting to sleep some more and not wanting to go to work. So when it knows I'm at a stoplight and knows that I want to shift into first it leans in defiance against the door to 1st. That's when I fake it by pretending to go into 2nd instead, and then walk right into 1st through a wide open door as its resistance stumbles to the floor, thumbing my nose as I do, saying, "Ha ha, fooled you again." Falls for it every time too.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

OCBen, good visual analogy!!!
The only time my ssk balks going into first is when and if there's any forward momentum, then I do the fake n bake to second ala OCB.

It works for me too!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:06 PM
SY in Houston
Cruisin'

Default awesome feedback thanks!

Wow, I don't check the board for about 12 hours and all this great advice, thanks everyone. Based on the responses, I think the problem manifests itself so often for me because I drive such a short distance to work, less than 5 miles, so the engine oil temp is hardly past 200 by the time I park the car again. That's also probably why I don't really have this problem on the weekends since I drive longer distances and allow the car to actually get warmed up.

NoSubEDU, thanks for the great explanation of the problem. You're right, I actually did try to pop out the clutch quickly once when this happened and there was this "thump" noise along with the shifter snapping back into the neutral position, that didn't sound too good!

I'm going to observe the car for a little while longer and see whether it happens just when the car is cold, or whether it is still happening when the car is warmed up. If so, I'll probably take it over to Momentum or call PCNA, hopefully it doesn't get to that!

Cheers y'all,

SY in Houston
Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure as the miles accumulate it will become easier and easier to shift into 1st when it's cold.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Raul
AutoX

After six months, no problems with my short shifter. When the car is cold, first and second gear are difficult to shift, (but it is Ok after ten minutes).
Old 09-07-2005, 04:44 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem ya'll! Glad to help.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 AM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Default 997 Short shift

Not a short shift problem but gear linkage cables problem. There is a recall out on it at the moment. The problem is emphasized by the short shift because the throw is shorter. w557 is the recall, this is where the cable routing is not correct.

Quick Reply: Factory Short Shifter Problem?