Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an aftermarket paddle shifter for the PDK push buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chef - why so fired up? Is it because you want a PDK car, but don't want to buy it without paddles? If you take a deep breath and read the input from those of us who own PDK cars, you'll find we're pretty happy with the setup. The buttons are placed PERFECTLY from an ergonomic standpoint - the thumbrest position from 9-and-3 is right where the upshift is, and the downshift is just behind the wheel, with either hand. Like I said, it makes a BIG difference knowing every time I push forward is an upshift and every pull back is a downshift - especially when the wheel is not on center.

It really is a good solution. I'd only consider paddles if A) the price were reasonable (not likely), and B) there was a real reason to switch. I don't see it happening, other than for resale to someone like you.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I had my C4S out for a track test and I can confirm the PDK and its buttons work great on the race course. The buttons become completely intuitive and I never pressed the wrong one. Very cool since you can upshift IN a corner and the buttons are right there under your thumb. I love it and I really hope the next RS comes with PDK.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no intention of buying any car with a flappy paddle gear box. As long as I have my left leg and right arm I'm doing it myself thank you.

What frustrates me though is that I happen to believe the PDK buttons are poor design. Yes you can learn them, but that proves the point. Why can't the interface be as simple and as easy to learn as everybody else's? You would think that if there were a better-simpler solution to good ol' paddles that the might of Mercedes or Toyota would have cracked it several years before Porsche introduced PDK to road cars.

The fact is Porsche designed the interface to appeal to Tip users, who rarely shift manually anyway, again proves the point that Porsche were not fully aware of who would buy PDK and what they might want the interface to be like. I'm just disappointed knowing they could have done better. I expected excellence and got mediocrity.

So let's ask the question of potential PDK buyers. Given the choice between the current PDK steering wheel, and a steering wheel with simple "Left-down" & "Right-up" paddles behind the wheel, which would you choose?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt BMW's smg have pull-push as opposed to left-right? i personally think i would prefer pull-push (though i dont know which one i would prefer for upshift and which i would prefer for downshift - which has been a criticism of the pdk). that being said, i'm with l chef in that i will always choose manual over automatic unless i need the performance that the automatic (now) provides.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

I believe that the latest SMG's are left/right paddles and not push/pull. The only other time I've seen push/pull is on automatic Corvette's (EWW!).

And for OCBen:

"Where's the any key?"
-Homer Simpson
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
I believe that the latest SMG's are left/right paddles and not push/pull. The only other time I've seen push/pull is on automatic Corvette's (EWW!).

And for OCBen:

"Where's the any key?"
-Homer Simpson
I think you're right... I've only driven paddles once and I think what I'm remembering now is that it's right push OR pull is one shift, while left push OR pull is the other.

I've never found the ANY key on any computer I've owned, plus I keep forgetting to refill my tower with Tab cola so I can get one when I push the Tab key.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

After two weeks of ownership I can't say I think much of the buttons. They are small and not terribly convenient. Obviously very capable owners have mastered them so this does not rise to the level of design failure. I owned a Tip previously, and I thought those buttons were even worse as up/down is much less positive in feel than PDK's push/pull. However, I do like the PDK stick in manual mode. I don't think that push/upshift and pull/downshift is counterintuitive since I've never driven a true sequential transmission to bias my experience. The manual holds it in gear until I shift and it shifts instantly and seamlessly. I haven't even tried sport mode due to the low miles/use. In any case, the paddles will be offered by Porsche down the road. Since PDK is integral to the steering wheel and not the column, it should be a retrofit Tequipment part, albeit a pricey one.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Le Chef
What frustrates me though is that I happen to believe the PDK buttons are poor design. Yes you can learn them, but that proves the point. Why can't the interface be as simple and as easy to learn as everybody else's? You would think that if there were a better-simpler solution to good ol' paddles that the might of Mercedes or Toyota would have cracked it several years before Porsche introduced PDK to road cars.
Couple of tidbits for you:

1) The left for down, right for up method came from motorsport. My guess is that it was the ONLY solution given how cluttered an F1 steering wheel is to begin with.

2) Many of the paddle-shift systems turn with the steering wheel. As I've stated OVER and OVER, this is a nightmare when in manual mode and making a turn from 1st to 2nd...

3) WRC came up with a novel solution - a paddle "ring". In essence, it's one big paddle shifter (not 100% positive on which direction did what). This more than validates the PDK idea of using one direction (in or out vice one paddle left or right) to make shifts with either hand with the steering wheel in either orientation.

I got the PDK car because I really liked the spec and I wanted to give it a shot. Will my next Porsche be a manual? Yes. Why? Because I do like the involvement (even if it is slower, inconvenient, etc.). Does this mean PDK is bad? Not by any means.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
There are more drivers used to paddles and more manufacturers making paddles that PAG will ultimately be forced to fall in line with the rest of the manufacturers and offer paddles, simply because the masses are used to them and will thus demand them if they opt for PDK, regardless of any superiority the buttons may have over the paddles.
I completely disagree.
Paddles were developed in racing and they tried every possible design before that. What came on top? Paddles.
It's clearly the better design and Porsche made a mistake with their stupid tiptronic buttons. Porsche said the reason for the buttons was for previous tiptronic owners to feel "at home". They said it! They never said it's because it's a better design than the paddles.
It's a sport car and I don't blame potential customers to turn their back on PDK cause of the lack of paddles.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh boy.

You would think that if there were a better-simpler solution to good ol' paddles that the might of Mercedes or Toyota would have cracked it several years before Porsche introduced PDK to road cars.
Might has nothing to do with genius. You can throw as much money as you want on a problem but that doesn't guarantee you a brilliant solution.

The little car company in Stuttgart has a well earned reputation of brilliant automotive engineering, and as such is in a position of leadership when it comes to innovative design. They're a trend setting company. And car companies may just want to follow the new paradigm established by the leader in innovation, if for no other reason than to remain relevant.

Originally Posted by Hockeyman11385
And for OCBen:

"Where's the any key?"
-Homer Simpson
lol Good one.

D'Oh! That sounds like Homer.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by zizu
Porsche said the reason for the buttons was for previous tiptronic owners to feel "at home". They said it! They never said it's because it's a better design than the paddles.
You need to provide a source, as that's not universal knowledge.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche A.G.

Read the launch press materials for launch of PDK on the web-site.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 PM
OCBen
Banned

Read the launch press materials for launch of PDK on the web-site.
Link?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read any or to be exact ALL the reports from magazines covering the press release of PDK or auto journalists testing the new PDK following a technical briefing from Porsche. I just quote what has been reported.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by zizu
Just read any or to be exact ALL the reports from magazines covering the press release of PDK or auto journalists testing the new PDK following a technical briefing from Porsche. I just quote what has been reported.
The burden's not on me to do the research.

It's on anyone who posts quotes without attribution. A simple link to the quote will do.

Quick Reply: Is there an aftermarket paddle shifter for the PDK push buttons?