Sponsored by:

DEAD DEAD Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAD DEAD Battery

I left my '06 C4 parked in the garage for three weeks while I was on a trip and when returned, the battery was deader than a door nail. Checked all interior lights and they were in the auto position and headlights were not left on. Car only has 7,400 miles. Any thoughts on why it would go dead? Haven't had any issues before this.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

We need to put a sticky on this board:

"If you own a 911, buy a car battery tender to maintain the battery"

This will eliminate this 'oh so often' thread to pop up.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

And yes, this is as common as birds poop.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/6412695-post9.html
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Make.
It.
A.
Sticky.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Ok.....so I get that it is a common problem but these cars can't sit for 2 to 3 weeks? What drains the battery?

OCBen - thanks for the public service announcement.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jwdwight
I left my '06 C4 parked in the garage for three weeks while I was on a trip and when returned, the battery was deader than a door nail. Checked all interior lights and they were in the auto position and headlights were not left on. Car only has 7,400 miles. Any thoughts on why it would go dead? Haven't had any issues before this.
You answered your own question. You have 7400 miles on the car. And it's an 06. Batteries can't just sit,--they have to be recharged periodically. Porsche will honor a faulty battery but their criteria is something like 8000 miles,--a year,--minimum. Get the battery trickle charger or sell the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Philipangoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me also, Porsche will replace your battery under warranty if you have driven it a certain defined amount. After 2 years my car had about 14k miles on it which was just barely enough to get a new battery. I have since then kept my battery maintainer plugged in at all times

My M3 has always done the same thing, it will die if I don't drive it for a few weeks. Yet I don't need to drive my chevy for like two full months and it will start up and drive fine. It must be a European car thing.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Philipangoo
Yet I don't need to drive my chevy for like two full months and it will start up and drive fine. It must be a European car thing.
It must be a European thing!! I have parked my GMC Yukon for a couple months and it fires right up too.....oh well.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a trickle charger? Can I get one that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I don't have to get to the battery each time?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It must be a European thing!! I have parked my GMC Yukon for a couple months and it fires right up too.....oh well.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a trickle charger? Can I get one that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I don't have to get to the battery each time?
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=997cc

If you need a new battery (and no warranty) get an Interstate (H7 I think).
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

This charger may be better:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=997cc
Old 04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This charger is cheaper (about $30) and works just as well, and lasts just as long:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post5679837

Oh, for the OP and anyone else reading this, do a simple search next time using "battery" (or whatever may happen to be your area of concern) as your keyword to retrieve the information you seek that's likely contained in this forum. To learn more about how to use the search function click on the FAQ hyperlink above.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:52 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Porsche should have a built in automatic charger...so all you have to do is pull the extension cord and plug in the car.
abe
Old 04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Happened to me also, Porsche will replace your battery under warranty if you have driven it a certain defined amount. After 2 years my car had about 14k miles on it which was just barely enough to get a new battery. I have since then kept my battery maintainer plugged in at all times

My M3 has always done the same thing, it will die if I don't drive it for a few weeks. Yet I don't need to drive my chevy for like two full months and it will start up and drive fine. It must be a European car thing.

That's probably b/c the batteries are better built then the car?!

Originally Posted by abe
I think Porsche should have a built in automatic charger...so all you have to do is pull the extension cord and plug in the car.
abe
Ha!!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

... It must be a European car thing.
Not true at all. Visit Corvette Forums and check for yourself. Modern cars have electronics running 24/7 and they use power. The Porsche in particular automatically activates its internal alarm system, which has infrared sources inside the cabin lit 24/7.

It also depends on pattern usage. Many sports cars are driven little and short distances, which are not sufficient to charge the battery and compensate for the discharge (high current) of successive starts.

Quick Reply: DEAD DEAD Battery